Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland Trip Nov 14 - Howick Suburb Advice

Auckland Trip Nov 14 - Howick Suburb Advice

Old May 8th 2014, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Auckland Trip Nov 14 - Howick Suburb Advice

I think that some folks just don't appreciate how quickly the house prices in Auckland have risen over the past years. Davros is quite correct in his comments. When we first came to the North Shore we could ent a two-bed unit for $220 dollar a week. The same place is now $450! And the salaries have not kept pace with these huge increases. We have had to move out of Milford as we simply cannot afford the rents and can never afford to buy at the present prices.

Will it ever get back to sanity - I doubt it!
Old May 8th 2014, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by homeprofessional
I would have a look at Wattle Downs (in the Reremoana school zone-very good primary) as the house prices there are still quite reasonable for Auckland and you can get a nice house for around $650K (look on trade me) Easy access to the motorway and CBD. North Shore is expensive other than places like Sunnynook, but hey, you need to drive around and have a look at where you like and then compare house prices and availability. CBD you will get rubbish for large $$$$
HP, I had a look on trademe for houses in Wattle Downs, because I'd be surprised if there are many somewhat reasonable houses at that price. There were only a few that mentioned price, the ones that did were serious first time home buyer do-ups. One house for under $650,000 looked ok, but it was advertised as "price reduced" so there must be a reason. In my experience, when you view a home that looks ok in the ad, but for some reason hasn't sold and has had a price reduction, the reasons are immediately apparent once you arrive and have a look. The other house well under 650,000 looked reasonable enough, though on the small side, but if you look at the photos closely you'll see there's no visible means of heating at all, and the windows/doors appear to be single-paned aluminium. Those of us who live in NZ wouldn't be surprised by this, as this is what the majority of NZ homes are like, but it's good to let people know who may not have our experience.
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

HI guys,
Arrive in Auckland at the end of August and am hoping to rent a place in East Auckland. I am working in SOuth Auckland, Sterling Ave, Manurewa East, Auckland 2102 to be exact...

What is the traffic like going west from the likes of Howick, Botany etc? Most of the suberbs in the East seem fine - are there any I should avoid?

Also, can anyone recommend a place to get cheap 2nd hand furniture to keep us going until our container arrives?

Cheers

Des
Old Jul 30th 2014, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

HI guys,
Arrive in Auckland at the end of August and am hoping to rent a place in East Auckland. I am working in SOuth Auckland, Sterling Ave, Manurewa East, Auckland 2102 to be exact...

What is the traffic like going west from the likes of Howick, Botany etc? Most of the suberbs in the East seem fine - are there any I should avoid?

Also, can anyone recommend a place to get cheap 2nd hand furniture to keep us going until our container arrives?

Cheers

Des
Old Jul 31st 2014, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desmondo84
HI guys,
Arrive in Auckland at the end of August and am hoping to rent a place in East Auckland. I am working in SOuth Auckland, Sterling Ave, Manurewa East, Auckland 2102
Des
Your a school teacher?
Old Jul 31st 2014, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RedDragon2008
Your a school teacher?
no - a pharma company
Old Jul 31st 2014, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

no - a pharma company
Ok just remember greenmeadows in proximity to your location.

It's an easy commute from Howick and eastern beaches.

You will have wide range to choose from. Budget and lifestyle dependent.

Totora heights is close but schooling after year 6 will mean either relocation or sending them to inner private school.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 7:13 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

HI guys,

Cheers

Des
Have a look at The Gardens too - it's very popular and I believe the school is a good one.
Old Jul 31st 2014, 7:51 pm
Forum Regular

really? I was told to avoid South Auckland? Are there shops in those areas too? Being close to totara park would be cool
Old Jul 31st 2014, 8:44 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

really? I was told to avoid South Auckland? Are there shops in those areas too? Being close to totara park would be cool

I wish more people avoided South Auckland, because some of the best bits can be quite expensive. Despite comments in this thread, Wattle Downs is also worth look - you want the houses on the peninsula. Reremoana School has a good reputation and most of the housing around it is new.

Once you have settled in you might even consider looking further afield like Pukekohe which is easily commutable to Manurewa. However rent first and get a feel for the place. There are some posh parts of South Auckland, but I've assumed you are on a budget.

Plenty of shops - my fav shopping areas are Sylvia Park and Manukau - both easily accessible from the areas that we are talking about.

Last edited by jmh; Jul 31st 2014 at 8:49 pm.