Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is Auckland too dominant?

Is Auckland too dominant?

Old Jan 19th 2008, 5:25 am
Account Closed

Yotty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is Auckland too dominant?

Wellington is only the capital because they couldn't decide between Christchurch and Auckland!
Old Jan 19th 2008, 6:15 am
Banned

pioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nice

Actually New Zealands first capital was in the Bay of islands the reason it was chosen as Wellington was because of its location being Central, although technically Nelson the centre of the country.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:45 am
Account Closed

Was the first capital Russell?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond reputeLexylou has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Well, its not a patch on Wellington though

I still see it as a bit of an Edinburgh/Glasgow thing, bit of a love hate relationship between Welly and Auckland, with the smaller city being the capital

That it is so true - and the Capital being the best city too. I LOVE Wellington and LOVE Edinburgh. I was not keen at all on Auckland but I do confess to having a love affair with GLasgow and its people but for me Wellington/Edinburgh everytime.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 2:40 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nerine
I think people are getting Auckland region mixed up with Auckland City. The city itself has a population of 404,658, it's just that you can't see where it stops and the other cities start (Waitakere, Manukau, North Shore etc.....)

The population of Christchurch City is 348,435, Wellington's is 179,466.

I knew that but don't you think it is nonsense to divide the region into more than one municipality as the Auckland-region is in fact one city, a continuous built-up area.

It is like saying that London is not one city but a collection of 32 boroughs which it technically is.

Btw, when you start mentioning the largest cities of NZ, if you take those satellite towns of Auckland into account then Auckland is the largest, Christchurch the second largest and the 2-3 of those Auckland-region towns being next before Wellington.

In fact, NZ is the only unitary country in the world I can think of where the largest city is not the capital. If Scotland were independent that would be another. Everywhere else where the largest city is not the capital, those countries have a federal structure of government.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pioneer7
I like Auckland

State Highway 1 as soon as you hit motorway you know Auckland is not to far way so you go somewhere else. I reckon it helps to keep the Aucklanders from getting out scared of the narrow single lane roads and helps remind the rest of New Zealand to keep clear

Closest I get is Hamilton to scarey traffic further North, not used to roads with more than 12 cars per 100km
another Jafa expert from afar

Most Aucklanders I know are imports from elswhere in NZ.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 9:46 pm
Banned

pioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nicepioneer7 is just really nice

oh come on where is your sense of Humour?

You live where?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

oh come on where is your sense of Humour?

You live where?
sorry my sense of humour tends to get bored with the same old jafa jokes (sic). 32 years of listening to them makes them pretty darn boring.

But I think I could crank it up a notch or two for a real joke.

By the way I am a born and breed Ngapuhi gal living in Auckland by choice.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:42 pm
Banned

How comes then there are no jokes about living anywhere else in New Zealand?
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

How comes then there are no jokes about living anywhere else in New Zealand?
You seem to be the expert, you tell me.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yotty
Was the first capital Russell?
Yes briefly. It's just down the road from Waitangi and was known as 'the hell hole of the Pacific' at the time which is hard to believe when you visit today as it is so sleepy. It also has NZ's first church, first licensed premises (The Duke of Marlborough Hotel) and restaurant or so I was led to believe when I visited on holiday.

Last edited by luvwelly; Jan 19th 2008 at 10:56 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:18 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by THR
I knew that but don't you think it is nonsense to divide the region into more than one municipality as the Auckland-region is in fact one city, a continuous built-up area.

It is like saying that London is not one city but a collection of 32 boroughs which it technically is.

Btw, when you start mentioning the largest cities of NZ, if you take those satellite towns of Auckland into account then Auckland is the largest, Christchurch the second largest and the 2-3 of those Auckland-region towns being next before Wellington.

In fact, NZ is the only unitary country in the world I can think of where the largest city is not the capital. If Scotland were independent that would be another. Everywhere else where the largest city is not the capital, those countries have a federal structure of government.
No. given its size I think if Auckland's cities were brought into a unitary authority the new body would become far too powerful, it could effectively put two fingers up to the national parliament.

It's only the presence of so many strong willed mayors, each protecting their own interests that keeps the ARC in check. The downside of this is that there is little joined-up thinking in Auckland region, the NS bus route extension stopping at the Harbour Bridge being one example.
Old Jan 19th 2008, 11:19 pm
Account Closed

I suppose everyone is an import in some way shape or form ....