Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland Sky Tower!

Auckland Sky Tower!

Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:38 am
SUPER SUPER MOD!

AlexArchie is an unknown quantity at this point
Arrow Auckland Sky Tower!

How old do you have to be to jump off sky tower in Auckland?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:50 am
BE Enthusiast

jill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud ofjill1420 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Auckland Sky Tower!

Just googled it. great website/music www.skyjump.co.nz. It looks like you need to be over 10 years. Its 630ft. I did a sky ride which was over 100ft ft at a climbing centre once and that was enough for me. It was an adventure course all suspended and swinging and I was attached by a hook onto a rail. I have never been so scared in my life. Good luck anyway. It looks great fun if your into that sort of thing.
The Waitomo caves is more my kind of thing. Will definitely be doing that.

Last edited by jill1420; Aug 10th 2007 at 10:54 am.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

I did a bungy last time in NZ at the original commercial site nr Queenstown and to be honest never again, although the skyjump will prob have to be done when living in Auck.

The waitomo caves are excellent, did the 5 hr blackwater black abyss tour and highly recommend it http://www.waitomo.com/caving-adventure.aspx
Old Aug 10th 2007, 12:06 pm
SUPER SUPER MOD!

Originally Posted by owen
I did a bungy last time in NZ at the original commercial site nr Queenstown and to be honest never again, although the skyjump will prob have to be done when living in Auck.

The waitomo caves are excellent, did the 5 hr blackwater black abyss tour and highly recommend it http://www.waitomo.com/caving-adventure.aspx
Cool!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 1:31 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexArchie
How old do you have to be to jump off sky tower in Auckland?
10. My daughter is counting down the days (she's nearly six ) until she can do it.

It's brill, highly recommended (I did it in April), and they offer for you to do it again at the end of the first plummet, only without the stop 10 metres down to take your photo.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:37 pm
SUPER SUPER MOD!

Originally Posted by Paua Shell
10. My daughter is counting down the days (she's nearly six ) until she can do it.

It's brill, highly recommended (I did it in April), and they offer for you to do it again at the end of the first plummet, only without the stop 10 metres down to take your photo.
Im definately doing it!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:41 pm
SUPER SUPER MOD!

Im definately doing it!
Can you tell me what it is like anyone who has done it
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

hanjan will become famous soon enoughhanjan will become famous soon enough

I was going to do it, but i didn't have the right shoes on
Old Aug 10th 2007, 5:08 pm
SUPER SUPER MOD!

Originally Posted by hanjan
I was going to do it, but i didn't have the right shoes on
Oh! Wink Wink!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Hiya i went up to the Observatory bit, $25 for an adult under 5's free. Just going up there was bad enough for me! We watched other mad people jumpimg off safely from there!! The look on their faces is worth the $25 all in itself!!
The views are fab, but not on a dull day as you cant see anything past the city really. Go on a nice bright day for best effect.
Old Aug 11th 2007, 2:14 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Can you tell me what it is like anyone who has done it
Well it costs a bit... $195, but I had full confidence in their safety gear.

So... any people with you get herded off outside to the 'target' area - yes it is painted as a target - and wait there for you to come plummeting down.

It takes a little while to get all the safety gear on, but time well spent.

If there are 2 of you jumping (as was the case when I jumped), you are asked which one of you wants to go first. I said I didn't mind, so the other chap said he wanted to go first. The employee at the target site gets notified via radio so any companions can get ready to take photos. Then they let the first person through and the second they cross through the locked glass doors, they have a metal hook attached to their belt.

Then they get all sorts of other gear attached, and the two employees up on the launching platform have everything under control. The final part is where they get you to hang on to the two control ropes at the side, and you lean over the edge. Then you're told "OK I'm going to count down 3 ... 2 ... 1 ..." Me: "then what happens?" Her: "You let go". Me: "I do?" Her: "3 ... 2 ... 1 ..." I think I waited one second more, then let go.

They stop you at 10 metres down and yell at you to look up so they can take a photo. Oh, and they also take a photo of you with an employee when you're right on the edge and still hooked up to the launching platform.

Then after the second photo, they let you plummet!
WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

11 seconds at 85 kph is just BRILL!!!

They slow you down (of course ) right before you get to the target. Advice you are given on the platform is to bend your knees right before you land. I did, and landed great, then collapsed into a giggling little heap, adrenalin running high!

After you jump, they offer you another jump, for free, without being stopped 10 metres down for the photo.

And... that's it!

P.S. If this had been a bungy jump, there's no way in hell I would have done it!
Attached Thumbnails Auckland Sky Tower!-skyjump2.jpg  
Old Aug 11th 2007, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

Divine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really niceDivine Comedy is just really nice

Great description!!
Old Aug 11th 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

jaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the rough

Sound amazing will have try asap

jan
Old Aug 12th 2007, 11:08 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Couple of pics:

Old Aug 13th 2007, 5:35 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Rob and Paua-dudes-that rocks!! I'd end up snapping the thing! Woooooohoooooo