Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland salary advice

Auckland salary advice

Old Dec 8th 2015, 5:56 pm
Just Joined

physeptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the roughphyseptone is a jewel in the rough
Default Auckland salary advice

Hi all.....
I came over to NZ in Aug 14, but then left again in April this year due to being jobless (and being able to walk into high paid employment in UK)

I want to come back to NZ so have been looking for jobs constantly.
I have finally found one (and been offered the position). Herein lies the problem.

The salary is going to be around $40k and i will have to live in Auckland (not my first choice, but my job is limited to cities).

Is living in Auckland on 40k feasible? I also want to get on the property ladder....., possible? Or am i completely deluded?? (i'm strongly suspecting the latter)

Thanks

Last edited by physeptone; Dec 8th 2015 at 5:58 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 6:48 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland salary advice

what visa do you have to be able to take up the offer? think the minimum you can earn is $55K for a permanent visa, but you will need to check that.
$40K will not be able to get you on the property market unless you can bring a huge deposit. 40K will gain you a mortgage of $186,000.
remember you will have to pay tax on every cent of the 40K so above 6K to be taken off with possible some other charges like ACC. ?
Old Dec 8th 2015, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

$40k a year in Auckland will be tough, the best you could hope for is a small rental like studio or a room in a shared house. There's no way on earth you'll be able to buy, even on double that salary you'd struggle to find anything.

You'd struggle to buy anywhere in NZ to be honest on 40k.
Old Dec 8th 2015, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by physeptone View Post
Hi all.....

Is living in Auckland on 40k feasible? I also want to get on the property ladder....., possible? Or am i completely deluded?? (i'm strongly suspecting the latter)

Thanks
I think matt is being polite in saying it'll be tough

as they say down here

Old Dec 9th 2015, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

).

Stick with your gut instinct - any ideas about affording to buy a property on $40k pa in Auckland are not rational. An entry level admin role would pay more than that and the best you could expect would be renting a room in a shared house situation.
Old Dec 9th 2015, 6:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch, that's not a huge wage. I think you'll need to aim higher than that if you can afford to live in Auckland?
Old Dec 10th 2015, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

no chance of property ladder I'm afaid. Unless there is a big crash of course...
Old Dec 15th 2015, 12:06 am
Nz

moving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond reputemoving2NZ2013 has a reputation beyond repute

That's a very low wage.
Apart from renting a room or at a push a flat I don't think you'll have many options.
Have you thought about looking elsewhere?
Old Dec 15th 2015, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

With our line of work my wife and I would be looking to make $160,000 ish a year, even then I would see us having to make some serious cut backs to our lifestyle. Seems like a big number but having looked it doesn't buy much in Auckland!
Old Dec 16th 2015, 2:45 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all.....
I came over to NZ in Aug 14, but then left again in April this year due to being jobless (and being able to walk into high paid employment in UK)
I want to come back to NZ so have been looking for jobs constantly.
I have finally found one (and been offered the position). Herein lies the problem.
The salary is going to be around $40k and i will have to live in Auckland (not my first choice, but my job is limited to cities).
Thanks
I don't understand . You are a pharmacist are you not That salary is half what a qualified pharmacist should expect. I realise that pharmacist may not be on the shortages lists but I would have thought that there might be a district health board which might have a vacancy & be free to offer a position as an NZIS accredited employer.
Did you do your placement last time and become NZ registered?
Old Dec 18th 2015, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

If you're a pharmacist then why are you limited to big cities? Lots of places have pharmacies or do you work in hospital? 70-80k would be more in line with a pharmacist salary, certainly in hospital anyway.
Old Dec 18th 2015, 6:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by john_hepburn View Post
With our line of work my wife and I would be looking to make $160,000 ish a year, even then I would see us having to make some serious cut backs to our lifestyle. Seems like a big number but having looked it doesn't buy much in Auckland!
Decent combined salary to live on but to buy a pad, you'd probably need a hefty deposit sitting in the bank so you have the cash for a good quality of life. No point in having a house of no money at the end of the month to buy stuff and do things...

We certainly have less disposable income than based on the UK, but the lifestyle makes up for it (so far anyway .
Old Dec 18th 2015, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by desmondo84 View Post
Decent combined salary to live on but to buy a pad, you'd probably need a hefty deposit sitting in the bank so you have the cash for a good quality of life. No point in having a house of no money at the end of the month to buy stuff and do things...

We certainly have less disposable income than based on the UK, but the lifestyle makes up for it (so far anyway .
We would likely be able to put down a deposit of slightly over 100,000, still can't see that allowing us to buy much in Auckland though, prices are crazy!

What would you say it is about the lifestyle that makes up for the lack of disposable income? Genuinely curious as this is our main stumbling block for a move. We currently have a lot of disposable income and are able to save, With the fair sized pay cut and the increased cost of living we keep thinking it might not be worth it.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 12:02 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

if you look at that 100,000 as a 20% deposit you could potentially get a mortgage of up to 500,000 dependant on your income.

it depends on what you want from it to see if it might be worth it. if you want to be able to get to the great outdoors for free and pop down to a local beach and go out for bike rides, more extreme weather, either hard rain and wind or to hot to do anything, and its not something you can do at the moment then, possibly yes.
But if you want a good standard of living, be able to travel outside of NZ, not be frustrated by how long anything little things takes, decent clothing at decent cost (mind you internet can get you over that), Auckland based, stuck in traffic - depending on where you are going to and from - crime, again dependent on where you are based. and other things then No. but you could say those things for other regions in any countries.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by john_hepburn View Post
We would likely be able to put down a deposit of slightly over 100,000, still can't see that allowing us to buy much in Auckland though, prices are crazy!

What would you say it is about the lifestyle that makes up for the lack of disposable income? Genuinely curious as this is our main stumbling block for a move. We currently have a lot of disposable income and are able to save, With the fair sized pay cut and the increased cost of living we keep thinking it might not be worth it.
It's a big call. If you're set on Auckland and you want to buy a house then to be honest you're looking at 800k+ in my opinion. It's sooooo expensive at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised to see a crash but who knows, I'm no expert on the Auckland housing market. You may be better to hold off, save more cash, think about things and see what happens to the Auckland market or go out to NZ for 1-2 years and see how you like it without fully committing. We got very lucky, we ended up in enjoyable jobs and found a neat place to live close to stuff we love doing. We also knew a few folk here so that made a big difference too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.