Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland salary advice

Auckland salary advice

Old Dec 19th 2015, 8:01 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland salary advice

Originally Posted by physeptone

Is living in Auckland on 40k feasible?
If you are a pharmacist and are being offered a 40k salary then you are being ripped off. Check the figures with them because I would say you should be on about twice that amount. If correct and you are qualified then look for a better paying job.
Old Dec 19th 2015, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

john_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to beholdjohn_hepburn is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by desmondo84
It's a big call. If you're set on Auckland and you want to buy a house then to be honest you're looking at 800k+ in my opinion. It's sooooo expensive at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised to see a crash but who knows, I'm no expert on the Auckland housing market. You may be better to hold off, save more cash, think about things and see what happens to the Auckland market or go out to NZ for 1-2 years and see how you like it without fully committing. We got very lucky, we ended up in enjoyable jobs and found a neat place to live close to stuff we love doing. We also knew a few folk here so that made a big difference too.
I'd really rather not live in Auckland to be honest but we're quite restricted, my wife is a small animal only vet, more rural areas look for mixed or large animal vets, and I would need to be near somewhere with a large(ish) hospital.

I agree there has to be a crash at some point surely. Price rises must be unsustainable with the wages not rising at the same rate.

Would love to be able to try it out for a couple of years but might wait and see what happens with the housing market first.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 3:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly on that salary don't even entertain the idea. Whilst the weather, great beaches and being "overseas" will be great in the honeymoon period, once you get into the business of actually living - it'll be a fairly miserable existence.

A joint income of $160k+ wasn't enough to live what I class as a normal life in Auckland. Being able to buy/afford a house, run a car and the like. Don't get me wrong, we weren't short of cash but that was from regularly making tough calls in terms of expenditure, furniture, travels, only having a single car (small 1.4 corsa/barina) even just trying to get a bach somewhere for a reasonable price wasn't easy. Hence we generally went camping when it came to holidays!
Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:43 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by physeptone
Hi all.....
I came over to NZ in Aug 14, but then left again in April this year due to being jobless (and being able to walk into high paid employment in UK)

I want to come back to NZ so have been looking for jobs constantly.
I have finally found one (and been offered the position). Herein lies the problem.

The salary is going to be around $40k and i will have to live in Auckland (not my first choice, but my job is limited to cities).

Is living in Auckland on 40k feasible? I also want to get on the property ladder....., possible? Or am i completely deluded?? (i'm strongly suspecting the latter)

Thanks
I'm not sure what "high paid employment" would mean to you in the UK but I can assure you that $40k is not "high paid" in NZ, not by a long shot...
Old Jan 6th 2016, 3:37 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by john_hepburn
, my wife is a small animal only vet, more rural areas look for mixed or large animal vets, and I would need to be near somewhere with a large(ish) hospital.
Don't write off your wife being able to find a position outside of Ack/Welly/Xch.

The practices up here in Nelson and Bays have a mix . Not all vets do large farm animals and vice versa. It is a mix.

Vets are in long term shortage. You might do well to simply blanket cover your interest and see what is out there.

If you found work in a hospital or otherwise, your wife might be able to locum until a position came up.