British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Auckland reasonably affordable areas for families (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/auckland-reasonably-affordable-areas-families-851478/)

bearskin Jan 29th 2015 5:12 pm

Re: Auckland reasonably affordable areas for families

Originally Posted by The Weezer (Post 11548645)
In most of the areas I mentioned, you might consider sending the children to schools out of district.

Can I ask why that would be a consideration?

The Weezer Jan 29th 2015 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 11549343)
Can I ask why that would be a consideration?

I can only give my opinion based on my personal experiences. I worked in several South Auckland schools. I saw too much aggression and apathy among the students, and too much racism from the teaching staff.

We send our child to a school in a different district. It means a commute twice a day, but we feel it's a necessary burden.

We're by no means the only family that commutes to offer our children better schools:

Parents want better local school | Stuff.co.nz

"Parents are not sending their kids to local schools because they feel they don't have good choices," Clayton Park principal Paul Wright said."

"Almost 7000 high school students live in the suburb but only about 4000 attend a local school."

Robbo25 Jan 30th 2015 8:46 am

Originally Posted by The Weezer (Post 11549513)
I can only give my opinion based on my personal experiences. I worked in several South Auckland schools. I saw too much aggression and apathy among the students, and too much racism from the teaching staff.

We send our child to a school in a different district. It means a commute twice a day, but we feel it's a necessary burden.

We're by no means the only family that commutes to offer our children better schools:

Parents want better local school | Stuff.co.nz

"Parents are not sending their kids to local schools because they feel they don't have good choices," Clayton Park principal Paul Wright said."

"Almost 7000 high school students live in the suburb but only about 4000 attend a local school."

Even the upper end suburbs like Kohimarima/Mission Bay have had similar issues because the high school for the area has been historically poor.

Parnell Jan 30th 2015 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Robbo25 (Post 11550047)
Even the upper end suburbs like Kohimarima/Mission Bay have had similar issues because the high school for the area has been historically poor.

This is what concerns me about the north shore, although a school called Kirstin seems to have high recommendations.

Bo-Jangles Jan 30th 2015 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Parnell (Post 11550670)
This is what concerns me about the north shore, although a school called Kirstin seems to have high recommendations.

Funny that, considering the North Shore has some of the best schools in Auckland. Rangitoto, Westlake Girls, and Boys, Takapuna Grammar, Carmel College and even Long Bay College all have excellent reputation, so I really do not know what you are on about.

Parnell Jan 30th 2015 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11550780)
Funny that, considering the North Shore has some of the best schools in Auckland. Rangitoto, Westlake Girls, and Boys, Takapuna Grammar, Carmel College and even Long Bay College all have excellent reputation, so I really do not know what you are on about.

Seriously they have not made it on our short list.

Bo-Jangles Jan 30th 2015 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Parnell (Post 11550806)

Haw, haw haw *rich persons laugh* :rofl:

The usual kind of smug comment we come to expect from you; I think we already established that you live in a different world to the majority.

The OP is asking about 'reasonably affordable' so not likely to be considering private schooling but nevertheless I think the results can allay any fears about the adequacy of schooling on the North Shore. None of them make the grade of 'historically poor':

The Best Schools in Auckland 2014 • Metro Magazine

Robbo25 Jan 30th 2015 11:07 pm

Have to agree I'm not sure there's a bad school north of the bridge although personally I found Westlake Boys to be somewhere I would never go near ever again, but that's a whole different story.

Perry Groves Jan 31st 2015 3:27 am

Yes, indeed private schooling will be out of the question for us.

Justcol Jan 31st 2015 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Parnell (Post 11550806)

God forbid you dont want to be mixing with the riff raff :sick:

I like your posts, they remind me why I left Auckland, :thumbsup:

garethwm Jan 31st 2015 8:54 am

I wouldnt worry too much Perry. I think that boy who topped the Cambridge exams in 2 subjects was from plain old Avondale College.

A Rush And A Push Jan 31st 2015 9:31 am

Yes, he was top in the world in the Cambridge exams in two subjects and top in New Zealand in the other two. Avondale is a decile 4 school in west Auckland :)

Top of the world: Kiwi whiz kid nails Cambridge exams

Robbo25 Feb 1st 2015 1:56 am

I would avoid the so called 'top' schools, there are many reasons why the others in my opinion actually offer a more rounded education