Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland re-think suburbs to North Shore

Auckland re-think suburbs to North Shore

Old Jan 18th 2014, 4:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Auckland re-think suburbs to North Shore

So we were settled on St Heliers/kohi/mission bay areas - hubbie has had a good look around there and loves it. I am coming in three weeks to try to secure a rental or buy. However it now turns out we can't keep two dogs in these areas unless we get a permit which includes getting permission from the neighbours etc etc so that scuppers those plans

Now looking at North Shore were it appears you can keep two dogs without a permit.

In light of this can anyone recommend some good areas about 10k max to CBD - budget for rental up to 5k a month. Been told Castor Bay nice but this was from a friend of a friend so not sure and not many rentals on Trade Me for this area.

All suggestions gratefully received. Many thanks
Old Jan 18th 2014, 4:34 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland re-think suburbs to North Shore

I didn't know the regs for dogs were different in different bits of Auckland but you're right, they are. Must be a hangover from when there were several different councils.

Most of the North shore is very nice, especially the bits nearer the coast. 10k from CBD would take you as far as about Milford/Castor Bay I think. Devonport has a reputation of being a bit staid/tea shoppy but has some lovely beaches (as does all the Shore, tbh) and you can get the ferry to CBD from there (the one road in and out gets v busy I believe). Takapuna is maybe the closest thing to the "town centre" of the Shore with some bars, cafés, mall etc.

You can't really go wrong near the sea on the shore for areas. East of the motorway is most expensive. Friends lived in Birkenhead (west of motorway) which seemed nice - a little further to the west, Beachhaven can get a bit scruffy (but not downright rough). All of the Shore near the city is pricey but for $5K a month you should be fine! If I had that to spend on housing I'd find a nice house near an east coast beach...
Old Jan 18th 2014, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, 5K a month on *rent*, I assume NZD. That is a lot.

You'll have no probs renting a decent house on the Shore for that. I would check out Milford, Castor Bay, Mairangi Bay and surrounding areas. Browns Bay, Long Bay and Torbay are possibly a bit too far.

Good luck!
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Wow, 5K a month on *rent*, I assume NZD. That is a lot.

You'll have no probs renting a decent house on the Shore for that. I would check out Milford, Castor Bay, Mairangi Bay and surrounding areas. Browns Bay, Long Bay and Torbay are possibly a bit too far.

Good luck!
Thanks for that - will carry on searching but not many rentals at present in Milford area

I gave the rental price so that people who live there or know the areas will point me to the right location. I would rather not rent but having thought about it I think it would be silly to buy straight off.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Mission Bay and there are quite a few people with more than one dog so it can't be that hard.

It does say on the council website that "If you don't get all your neighbours’ signatures, please explain why. Sometimes neighbours refuse consent for no good reason, so please tell us if this is the case" and I don't think they generally stop you registering the second dog if you've got a stroppy neighbour.

You might actually find it harder to find a rental that will let you have dogs than the registration process. Good luck.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hebe
Thanks for that - will carry on searching but not many rentals at present in Milford area

I gave the rental price so that people who live there or know the areas will point me to the right location. I would rather not rent but having thought about it I think it would be silly to buy straight off.
Read with interest, in similar position for this spring..Would the North Shore not give extra issues with traffic on the commute...I've written this area off as a sensible route into City Hospital due to the bridge traffic?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what time of day you would be commuting to Auckland Hospital - would you be on shifts or in a 9-5?
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
Depends what time of day you would be commuting to Auckland Hospital - would you be on shifts or in a 9-5?
9-5 ish but on-call commitments
Old Jan 18th 2014, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I want your job! I could move into a rental down our road & commute to work every day by air & still have plenty left from my budget
Old Jan 18th 2014, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Northern Henry
9-5 ish but on-call commitments
Then yes, the commute from the Shore would add to your commute quite a lot. Plenty of people do it though - hence the congestion. But if I was working at Auckland hospital with (I assume) a very reasonable amount to spend on rent/mortgage - Kohi/St Heliers/Mission Bay would be my choice. Parnell, Remuera and Mt Eden are all v close to the hospital too (though not beach suburbs).
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by A Rush And A Push
Then yes, the commute from the Shore would add to your commute quite a lot. Plenty of people do it though - hence the congestion. But if I was working at Auckland hospital with (I assume) a very reasonable amount to spend on rent/mortgage - Kohi/St Heliers/Mission Bay would be my choice. Parnell, Remuera and Mt Eden are all v close to the hospital too (though not beach suburbs).
Yep one of those the likely haunt,

Just trying to weigh up Primary schools, Meadowbank seems popular...

Sorry Hebe, didn't mean to hijack your post
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

bearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond reputebearskin has a reputation beyond repute

Is the job an easy commute from the Ferry Terminal downtown? In that case, my choice for renting would be Devonport and get to work on the ferry, with a walk on the other side - almost painless.

For long-term and buying though you may want more than Devonport has to offer - in terms of access to other places, schools etc.

I'd put my neck out and say Castor Bay has the reputation of being the best regarded of the Shore coastal suburbs. In sweeping generalisations though, the common consensus seems to be the further south, the better - so Milford beats Castor Bay, Browns Bay beats Torbay etc. I would imagine it has a lot to do with proximity to town though, for the commute.

FWIW I would buy reasonably quickly - around Easter is good buying time. I can only see prices going up.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Hebe - Did you conside West Auckland? Titirangi ect ect, from a dog walking perspective access to the west coast beaches like Bethells, Huia or the Waitakere Ranges is easier. Might not have that North shore buzz but its not a bad place to settle.

Henry - I used to live in Meadowbank and it is a very family orientated suburb.
you have good bus and rail links into the CBD. there is also a supermarket and small mall close by which makes the usual afterwork trips for milk or bread less of a chore.

Less than a 10 minute drive to Mission bay, St Helliers, Kohimarama as well.
Old Jan 18th 2014, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for your replies. Very helpful.

Gazmac - hubbie looked at titirangi but said too far out for him. We also looked at a fabulous house in swanson butmthatmis the same
Old Jan 18th 2014, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

gazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nicegazmac is just really nice

Geographically the NS may appear closer but overall commute times may even things out depending on times, location ect ect.

Devenport is nice and handy for the ferry to CBD.

As someone mentioned previously Parnell is a good option if living by the water is not the be all and end all.

No idea about restrictions on dogs in these areas though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.