Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland property prices

Auckland property prices

Old Nov 8th 2016, 7:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland property prices

Originally Posted by BEVS
No. Much depends on the area. Problemo for a lot of immigrants coming in though is that they need to go where the work is.
Good point and British people need a visa and are only focused on areas where they can go with their qualifications. Stacking shelfs and doing the occasional job is not an option, so they end up in expensive Auckland.

Even with permanent residency many are too focused on career and wouldn't lower themselves, although there would be options elsewhere if housing is that important.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Angeshirl
JI've sort of hoped things would get better here and I'm just beginning to see that it won't. So many people abandoning Auckland around me, it's impossible not to want to abandon ship too. It's become a really unhealthy place for me to be. Despite friends, job, groups and my general 'comfort' in Auckland I'm desperately unhappy. I do have to wonder how many others out there are like me. Stuck in thinking there's no other way, hostage to the 'idea' of Auckland.
Where do you commute in from? Of all of the Brit couples we knew in Auckland, only 2 have remained. Once couple have moved far up north, closer to Whangarei (carpenter and nurse), the other couple continue to rent 6-7 years after being here - as one has a very well paid job. The other 10-12 couples we met, have all moved back in the last 2 years for reasons that you and I have mentioned. One couple tried elsewhere outside of Auckland but after 8-12 months, they felt so cut off that enough was enough for them. Its sad really, but you can't put your life on hold hoping that things might get better or easier some day.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

In the meantime Davros, Auckland population is growing at record levels, hence the prices. Far more people are wanting to get here than leave. Somehow these people are able to get the money together. Thats the problem really. There are too many people willing and able to pay those prices.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - absolutely right, too many people are stupid enough to pay those prices and we live in such a transient world now - heck even NZ is probably far more transient now than it was 5-20 years ago.

Something I haven't yet told the forum (not sure if this is the right place), but we are due to become parents for the first time in the next few weeks - very excited! So we're not having a Kiwi bub, but instead will be having a Welsh bub (this time around .) When I finish my current contract next year, we are planning on doing a long-holiday in NZ with the newcomer.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Davros and to your wife. Exciting times. Something I havnt experienced myself. Maybe the inevitable fall in Ak house prices will happen before you return on your holiday and something affordable will emerge?
Old Nov 8th 2016, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Angeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeAngeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by davros1984
Where do you commute in from? Of all of the Brit couples we knew in Auckland, only 2 have remained. Once couple have moved far up north, closer to Whangarei (carpenter and nurse), the other couple continue to rent 6-7 years after being here - as one has a very well paid job. The other 10-12 couples we met, have all moved back in the last 2 years for reasons that you and I have mentioned. One couple tried elsewhere outside of Auckland but after 8-12 months, they felt so cut off that enough was enough for them. Its sad really, but you can't put your life on hold hoping that things might get better or easier some day.
I commute from West Auckland. At the moment I don't have a choice for a couple of reasons I won't get into. I don't really know what I want to do yet...I'm ok, I'm relatively comfortable, I'm not in debt. I'm giving it another year and then I'm seriously going to reassess the situation.
Old Nov 8th 2016, 8:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Congratulations Davros.
Old Dec 9th 2016, 4:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

OK. So Shirrom feels that some or all of us have put a downer on his/her plans.

That would not be the case for me . I am about realistic expectations visa wise and understanding the CoL but conversely wouldn't want to stomp on anyones hopes and dreams.

Shirrom is just 27 so in theory could do a working holiday visa anyway to check it all out.

My thoughts on property prices is still that Dunedin and surrounds offers the best over Auckland.

Is that wrong?
Old Dec 9th 2016, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS
OK. So Shirrom feels that some or all of us have put a downer on his/her plans.

That would not be the case for me . I am about realistic expectations visa wise and understanding the CoL but conversely wouldn't want to stomp on anyones hopes and dreams.

Shirrom is just 27 so in theory could do a working holiday visa anyway to check it all out.

My thoughts on property prices is still that Dunedin and surrounds offers the best over Auckland.

Is that wrong?
You have not put a downer on my plans. Im coming over on an essential skills visa.

Should I decide to stay id buy further down where property is cheaper.

More to life in NZ than Auckland
Old Dec 9th 2016, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

Shirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to allShirrom is a name known to all

I also never said anyone put a downer on my plans.