Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland north shore subburbs

Auckland north shore subburbs

Old Apr 9th 2011, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Auckland north shore subburbs

Hi all been away sorting out personal shit for a while
anywho, i'm now looking at moving away from cambridge and relocating
on the north shore.
I dont know anything about about any of the subburbs up there so any
local insider knowledge would be welcome.
Been looking at some new appartments in Beach Haven and also around the
birkenhead, glenfield areas.
Anyone got any comments on these areas??
Old Apr 11th 2011, 5:12 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland north shore subburbs

we looked at Birkenhead - lovely old villas at affordable prices - beware of the position of any housing though as most of the suburb is on the southern slopes and rather cold and damp for 6 months of the year.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

The Bays (ie Browns, Lond etc) and Chatswood are good bets and reasonable(ish) prices. Beach Haven has some great properties at great prices but does not enjoy a particularly good reputation. Glenfield is a mixed bag. Depends on your budget and what you desire.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Will bear that in mind, am going up this weekend to have a proper look around
and view one or two properties to get an idea.
Old Apr 11th 2011, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

we live in Torbay and love it we are high on the hill so do not loose too much sun in the winter, Browns bay is lovely but a lot of the houses are in the dip so do not get too much evening and low winter sun.
pm if you want to know more
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:37 am
Account Closed

fayemd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I live in Takapuna and would not live anywhere else on the Northshore.Have a look at Takapuna when you come up it has great cafes,restaurants,bars and the beach and aeasy commute to the city.Personally I would not live in Glenfield has not got a good reputation and some shocking houses.There is some of the old villas in Beachhaven that are reasonble priced and be careful with the new apartments because there are a few blocks that are leaky buildings.Certain parts of BeachHaven have not got a good reputation.Birkenhead is okay some nice old villas shops are okay.The bays are nice Browns bay is the best as it has all the shops and cafes and a bit of life to it.The other bays Torbay,Rothesay Bay,Mairangi are alot quieter not much happening.Pm me if you need any more info.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that, the appartments i'd seen on the net looked ok but there
are A LOT of them for sale which kinda made me think twice.
My friend suggested the bays last night so i will have a look over the weekend.
I know what you meen about Takapuna, its a great night out and for a newly seperated
guy like me the Cougar Room, sorry Copper Room is a great place
Old Apr 12th 2011, 3:11 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

We live in Takapuna too, in a rented 2 bed apartment and we love it here.

Hadn't originally planned on Taka, just wanted somewhere on the North Shore but this place came up at the right time and the right budget. Yeah the apartment complex isn't the greatest, but the location is perfect!

My wife has a 10minute walk to work, I have a 10 minute walk to the bus station which drops me outside my office door in the city. We can walk to the food shops, walk to beach and everything is nice and relaxed. We originally wanted to buy a house after a year of renting, but we dont have enough deposit so we have decided to stay on in our apartment another year while we save. Yeah we could probably get 2-3 bed house in Glenfield for the same rent as we pay, but the location for us makes it.

Love Taka, and will be our first choice when we come to buy (if we can afford it that is)!
Old Apr 12th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

From Takapuna what's the best way to get into Auckland CBD?
Old Apr 12th 2011, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to beholdAndyR is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
Bus I'd say. There is either the bus station right in the center next to the Shore City Mall, or there is Akoranga station right on the busway which is how I get in each morning.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you!
Any chance of cycling in?
Old Apr 12th 2011, 11:56 am
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice

Don't think so - the road across the bridge is a motorway and the bus lane doesn't seem to allow cycles as I looked also! the buses from Takapuna are really quick - about 15 mins to CBD.
Old Apr 12th 2011, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

Don't forget that there is Google Streetview - which includes scenes of the motorway.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

fayemd is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Auckland north shore subburbs

<snip>

Mod Note
Direct ads on the open forum ain't allowed . The sig in your profile is fine though.
I'm leaving this post here,rather than delete it for that reason

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 14th 2011 at 4:09 am. Reason: no ads on open forum cheers
Old Apr 14th 2011, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

rogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond reputerogercruse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
There's a great ferry service from Bayswater, as quick as the Devonport ferry without the need to travel right the way down Lake Road and all that traffic.

Like the Devonport ferry, there's an integrated bus service if you're too far away to walk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.