Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland Living N,S,E or West?

Auckland Living N,S,E or West?

Old Apr 24th 2007, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Auckland Living N,S,E or West?

Originally Posted by lardyl
yeah, we have to pay for the management of our property in the UK and the letting fee here.......double whammey, heh??
Ah.....Remuera - I could do with a place there as the commute to/from Newmarket is a real pain at the mo' !!!
Hi Lardyl,

Where are you at the moment? It's just that when we move over in July/Aug I will be working in the Newmarket area also, so don't want the same travelling headaches!!

Cheers
Old Apr 24th 2007, 9:33 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garryhg
Hi Lardyl,

Where are you at the moment? It's just that when we move over in July/Aug I will be working in the Newmarket area also, so don't want the same travelling headaches!!

Cheers
North of the North Shore - nice spot but have to leave at 0550h to ensure a good run to Newmarket - plenty of people do it beacause they enjoy the sea, space and relaxed atmosphere up here on the Hi-biscus Coast!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

From all the information supplied (for which I thank you), we have decided to rent for a period of time before we decide to buy a property.

We have viewed suitable rental properties in the following areas and would like some thoughts from all of you over there on the areas identified????

Campbells Bay, Browns Bay, Milford & Greenhithe (All North Shore City)

& Laingholm (Waitakere City)

Information required - Schools, Travel Links to Newmarket (Driving?/trains/buses), surrounding area???

Basically anything, so All your comments would be much appreciated.

All the Best!!!
Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Boo Boos will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hayleyt
Hi I'm originally from london, try looking at the Hibiscus Coast i't about 40 mins dependant upon traffic because the Auckland traffic is notorious especially in rush hour where ever you look the coast is there, to me Glenfield is a definite no no not bad for shopping Takapuna and milford are nice but quite expensive same as ponsonby remuera st Heliers I,m not far from red beach the school is really good if you have children there is also Albany which has everything you need and not far from on ramp. hope this helps let me know if you want any more info and i'll try to oblige Hayley
I have just moved to Stanmore Bay on the Hibiscus Coast,its very nice here.The beaches are lovely and the sea isn't rough, Albony has OK shopping but shopping isn't like it is in the UK You have to drive everywhere over here and its so hilly, i thought Brighton in England had hills but thats nothing compared to here. If you want land you have to look further a field as a lot of Auckland is sectioned.We've got ourselves a nice 3 bedroom house and turned the study into the 4th bedroom.I wanted Big house,lots of land and a swimming pool before we came out but when you arrive you realise its not the same as you think its gonna be but its still GREAT!
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Hello!

I am in Browns Bay. I have one teenager who has just left Long Bay college, one who is still there and before going there went to Northcross Intermediate and one who is at a private nursery. My oldest who has left school loved Long Bay, he did well there, he was an average student who excelled in a couple of subjects and just coped in others. My middle one who is still there also loves it and is doing well.

I am very happy living here, there isn't anywhere else I would rather be for now. I dont have a huge house or garden but right outside my garden gate is a lovely park where I take my two year old every day to see the ducks, she loves the trees and collecting leaves, it is a fairly small park but excellent for children and dog walking.
I am a 10 minute walk from a beach which is safe for swimming. We have a reasonable collection of shops, some excellent restaurants and bars, loads of cafes, doctors, dentist and a tennis club all in walking distance but cinema, bowling, karting, indoor skiing, big shopping malls are all a short drive away.
I think it has a nice community feel. We didn't know anyone when we arrived but we were made to feel very welcome and now have a nice circle of friends.
It is quite crowded I suppose, most new houses are on small sections.
I am lucky because I work here too so dont have to worry about the traffic to the city. I have a couple of mates that do it, one works in newmarket and leaves early to avoid the worst of it and one gets the park and ride bus.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:33 am
Just Joined

hayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Auckland Living N,S,E or West?

Hi Boo hoos,
I can totally understand what your saying about the shopping it's just not to the standard we are used to back in the uk, you will get used to it. Try Newmarket for shopping when you get a chance, you might be surprised also there is a new mall being built in albany I,m just up the road from you in Army Bay. How long have you been here? Hope your settling in ok Bye for now
Old Apr 26th 2007, 10:15 pm
Just Joined

Boo Boos will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by hayleyt
Hi Boo hoos,
I can totally understand what your saying about the shopping it's just not to the standard we are used to back in the uk, you will get used to it. Try Newmarket for shopping when you get a chance, you might be surprised also there is a new mall being built in albany I,m just up the road from you in Army Bay. How long have you been here? Hope your settling in ok Bye for now
We've only been here since January,most times i love it but i went through a spell of not being bothered about anything and not having any energy,felt sad about missing my family,friends and my job back in the uk. I took a year out from work (which i loved) knowing its still there for me is a real pull BUT that feeling has passed and i now feel great .I like Stanmore Bay loads but want to be closer to the city as i REALLY miss the night life of pubs, clubs and restaurants. I LOVE being near the sea,which is great for the children.Ive thought of Army Bay and Golf Harbour as you get good size property for your money but it just feel to far out of the way? I haven't been to Newmarket yet so i'll def put that to top of my list, ive heard Glenfield has a good shopping mall? Everything is so far apart here which is ok until you hit rush our traffic. I dont think it really matters where you live your gonna hit it one way or another How have you found New Zealand?
Old Apr 27th 2007, 1:28 am
Just Joined

hayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud ofhayleyt has much to be proud of

Hi Boo hoos,
When I first come over I just looked at my rental and wanted to cry and then get on the first flight home, it seems when you first come over you seem to take a few steps back, it also reminded me of shanty town. I hated everthing about nz no one could say a good word about nz in front of me, I just ripped it to shreds, I got very depressed and down didnt have anyone over here, other than my brother who then lived in Pakuranga which I wouldn't reccommend he now lives in stanmore bay which he loves, still don't have that special circle of friends that I had in the UK have a few but it's not the same in saying that I would never go back to the UK been back once and it was so dismal being that it was November too. I have four children and two dogs their ages are 20, 19 ,16 and 8 two dogs are 5 and 1 you will really grow to love it here it does take a while I have been here nearly 4 years and I now feel like I have been here forever. How old are your children and do they go to school? Where in the UK are you from? I'm from Brentwood in Essex just outside London. If you want to chat and dare I say it a glass of wine or two let me know and we can swap notes I have been talking to another brit who lives up here in Gulf Harbour Annie she has been down we are going to meet up soon, if you want to meet up any time {please PM member for contact details}

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Apr 27th 2007 at 8:54 am.