Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland - I wouldn't

Auckland - I wouldn't

Old Aug 30th 2015, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

outback sunset is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Auckland - I wouldn't

oooh feeling angry as well as bitter. Tomorrow's another day!
Old Aug 31st 2015, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Yes it is

Last edited by Justcol; Aug 31st 2015 at 12:46 am.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 12:46 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

... and following that unnecessary little interlude , back to the OP's topic please.
Old Aug 31st 2015, 1:36 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

It seems the Mayor of Wellington is chipping in now too.

Wellington's mayor wants Aucklanders to move to the capital | Stuff.co.nz
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

For many people they need to move to Auckland in order to gain the essential job required for the visa. We're juggling the thought that it would be better to rent for a few years near Auckland, using the interest from our UK house sale to pay the rent, than it would be to buy. My concern is that the housing surely can't keep increasing in value the way it is and, at some point, it will crash. Buying now may well see negative equity in a few years time. If you can afford to buy now and then sell again before the bubble bursts it might be a way to increase your capital for the next move but I'd want some professional advice about it first.

We liked Auckland for visiting and the tourist attractions but it was too busy for us. It did remind us of London and Edinburgh but with a more Asian feel. We're rural folk though and find Birmingham, London and Edinburgh too busy too. We love living close enough to a city for daily work commute and visiting but wouldn't want to live right in one.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I don't think I'd ever confuse Auckland with London! Auckland's like a country town with bad traffic problems, which are getting worse by the week. You cannot have a city without a decent railway or metro system. The more I travel around Auckland the more it feels like all the other boring country towns I've seen around NZ.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:43 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Auckland - I wouldn't

I've never liked Auckland and visit as infrequently as I possibly can. Of the things New Zealand does poorly urban planning is right up there.

Give me a short commute to work down quiet country roads, a generous garden and the night sky filled with stars over Auckland any day.
Old Oct 15th 2015, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
We moved in 2011. We have endured four years in Auckland.
Anyone thinking of moving here, I can honestly say that you really need to think twice about Auckland. The traffic is utterly horrendous and we live about 35-40kms from the CBD as this is all we can afford housing wise. This gives my wife a commute of sometimes up to two hours - oh, the traffic on the Northern Motorway. Needless to say, we are moving - to the Waikato. She will be getting a job in Hamilton and I work from home anyway.

I can honestly say that Auckland represents everything that we wanted to leave behind in the UK. However, you get out of Auckland and the real NZ is still there - a wonderful place to raise children. So, we are off to start living the dream after 4 years of enduring traffic and property hell.
Fantastic - I know exactly how you feel and all the best with the move to the Waikato. That was on our radar but in the end we decided on moving back to the UK.

Now feel happy, ridiculously settled, good jobs and its so much quieter and less congested than Auckland!
Old Oct 16th 2015, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Give me a short commute to work down quiet country roads, a generous garden and the night sky filled with stars over Auckland any day.
That's our long term aim
Old Oct 16th 2015, 9:43 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
That's our long term aim
Long term? In the long term we'll all be dead.
Old Oct 16th 2015, 10:28 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GoingIn2011
We moved in 2011. We have endured four years in Auckland.
Anyone thinking of moving here, I can honestly say that you really need to think twice about Auckland. The traffic is utterly horrendous and we live about 35-40kms from the CBD as this is all we can afford housing wise. This gives my wife a commute of sometimes up to two hours - oh, the traffic on the Northern Motorway. Needless to say, we are moving - to the Waikato. She will be getting a job in Hamilton and I work from home anyway.

I can honestly say that Auckland represents everything that we wanted to leave behind in the UK. However, you get out of Auckland and the real NZ is still there - a wonderful place to raise children. So, we are off to start living the dream after 4 years of enduring traffic and property hell.
I think it great that you endured Auckland because now you will really appreciate what Hamilton has to offer!!
Old Oct 17th 2015, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmh
I think it great that you endured Auckland because now you will really appreciate what Hamilton has to offer!!
The best thing about Hamilton is that its not Auckland
Old Oct 18th 2015, 10:25 pm
Just Joined

Louiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond reputeLouiselouise03 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move. I know a few people who have moved down there from Auckland. Most seem to love the easier lifestyle, though talk of missing the bigger mix of cultures etc that Auckland has.
I can understand how having a comute like that would want you to get out.
Just for others who may be planning to move to Auckland. I would say check out your commute before choosing where to live, it really affects your quality of life.
And, if you don't have to live in a top middle class suburb, I think there are still are more affordable options without the huge commute. For example, we live right out west, 5 min drive from Glen Eden station. My husband gets a train around 8 to his office in Newmarket, it takes 30 mins. I think that's not too bad and we can manage with having one car.
Car drivers round here seem to get up at dawn though.
I would miss Auckland so much if I left now.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Long term? In the long term we'll all be dead.
I guess my long term aim is put off dying. Long term for me is 5-10years so, hopefully, I'll be OK for moving to, gaining what I need and then leaving Auckland within the next ten years.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Ten years in auckland. . . . pass me the rope !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.