Reload this Page >

Auckland here we come

Auckland here we come

Old Jun 8th 2008, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

jacqui669 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auckland here we come

Hi Everyone
Richard and Jacqui here from Yorkshire, looking to move to Takapuna. I (Jacqui) am fixed up with a job but Richard isn't yet. He is a Class II HGV driver. Anyone any info on whether there is a need.
We are both scared and excited about our new venture. One of the worst things will be leaving family and friends. So anyone want to adopt two new friends, feel free.
Old Jun 8th 2008, 10:12 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland here we come

I'm no help on the HGV front, sorry Just wanted to say hi and welcome and hope all goes well with you new adventure
Old Jun 9th 2008, 2:07 am
Just Joined

3kidz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, your OH shouldn't have a problem getting a job, I know a few people here with similar jobs and the pay is pretty good too. Leaving family and friends is very hard but you'll be fine. When do you plan to get here?
Old Jun 9th 2008, 4:35 am
Who me ?

Fireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of lightFireman Al is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Jacqui,
We live just a bit further up the coast from Takapuna (which is an awesome place by the way) on the Hibiscus Coast, about 15 mins north. Tell your hubby to try/seek out Fulton Hogan. They are a big co. which deal with alot of roadwork vehicles etc but require loads of HGV drivers. They have bases all over the show, one up in Silverdale which would be an easy 10-15 min drive up the motorway for him (going against traffic too!)
Me & Mrs Al would be well up for a meet/drink or 10 when you get here etc.
PM me and we can help you in anyway we can.

Look forward to it !

Enjoy

Big Al.
Old Jun 9th 2008, 5:45 am
Forum Regular

waynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to beholdwaynepfry is a splendid one to behold

Loads of ops for drivers - Fulton Hogan as already mentioned. Thre's also Smith and Davies and Neville Bros on The Shore/Silverdale.

Takapuna's a good place to live - pretty built up but loads of places to eat, good shops, a great beach, close to the countryside and the city.

I'm from Yorkshire and moved to Takapuna 21 months ago. There's lots of other nice areas but it does take some beating. It is hard leaving family and friends behind but you'll soon make new friends if you're working and introduce yourself to your neighbours etc. The day we moved in we got invited round to three people's houses and were loaned a bed - all off people we didn't even know. Generally the Kiwis are a pretty welcoming and friendly bunch.

If you want any specific advice on Takapuna etc just let me know.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks for replying, thats reasurring to know he will get fixed up as well. I will look up those companies and contact them. Heres hoping. Glad you said Takapuna is a great place to live. Not knowing the area you always wonder. I am actually taking a job at North Shore hospital. Are there any other areas I could be looking at.
It's all very exciting but scarry too. It was nice to hear that your arrival was so welcoming. I suppose you just have to make the effort to make yourself known to our expats out there.
Richard is a class II HGV driver. Are the class ratings the same over there? and will he need to take a test do you know.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jacqui669
Thanks for replying, thats reasurring to know he will get fixed up as well. I will look up those companies and contact them. Heres hoping. Glad you said Takapuna is a great place to live. Not knowing the area you always wonder. I am actually taking a job at North Shore hospital. Are there any other areas I could be looking at.
It's all very exciting but scarry too. It was nice to hear that your arrival was so welcoming. I suppose you just have to make the effort to make yourself known to our expats out there.
Richard is a class II HGV driver. Are the class ratings the same over there? and will he need to take a test do you know.
Takapuna is really nice. not cheap though, although with the house price crash who knows...

Most of the Eat Bay suburbs on the North Shore are nice to live in in fact. The further north you live the more difficult it is to get into Auckland though. Im sure you will enjoy Auckland. It does take some time to make friends etc, but with patience and resilience youll be fine im sure.

Of course you could consider living in auckland and driving against the traffic each day as well, epending on where you think ur hubby will be working. Id rent for say 6 months initially so you can find your feet and spec out the areas..

have fun with the adventure
Old Jun 10th 2008, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

How the hec do I get into my pm's and send pm's? Anyone help
Old Jun 10th 2008, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

SLOW BUT SURE is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we are moving to Belmont just down the road and I too have a job to go to at North Shore Hospital. My hubby has no job yet either!
We are off next week. Read all the advice and threads on this website it has been invaluable in all aspects of the process. best wishes to you both.
Old Jun 10th 2008, 8:44 pm
Just Joined

HI
Well we may be work colleagues 'slow but sure' so you will have to keep in touch now and let me know what its like at the North Shore. We are just starting the residency process 3kidz so will be a few months before we are out there. Its not so scarry knowing there are welcoming folk out there tho and thanks Teamembo for yours. We will use that info newkiwi and waynepfry, every little helps.
Fireman Al, we will definately take you up on those ten drinks when we get there, lol
It just keeps getting more exciting by the minute
Old Jul 4th 2008, 8:59 am
Just Joined

Sorry took so long to reply but been a bit busy!
my name is Maggie and have found house actually is in Takapuna too. We arrived last week. Not started work yet but will be on Monday provided all well with oc health etc. Everyone seems very friendly.
Some friends already here and new neighbors too have lent a few essentials like a bed and tele till the furniture arrives.
Weather quite cold in evenings so bring hot water bottle! It has rained most dys but then sun comes out and we see beautiful rainbows.
Traffic busy at times up to the hospital from Takapuna but not as bad as we had all day long in south east.
When are you coming? look forward to meeting up.
Old Jul 4th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nomadicmike
I found Takapuna quite intimidating, lots of white trash bogans in souped up Holdens and drunk Islanders in big groups near the beach area, and this was in the daytime!

Good luck!
Mike is getting more trollish with every post I read this evening.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SLOW BUT SURE
Sorry took so long to reply but been a bit busy!
my name is Maggie and have found house actually is in Takapuna too. We arrived last week. Not started work yet but will be on Monday provided all well with oc health etc. Everyone seems very friendly.
Some friends already here and new neighbors too have lent a few essentials like a bed and tele till the furniture arrives.
Weather quite cold in evenings so bring hot water bottle! It has rained most dys but then sun comes out and we see beautiful rainbows.
Traffic busy at times up to the hospital from Takapuna but not as bad as we had all day long in south east.
When are you coming? look forward to meeting up.
Hi Maggie
Jacqui and Richard here from Yorkshire. We have a while to go yet and you will be well settled by the time we arrive. We are flying out the first week in January. Just starting the residence process. Are going to NZ house in London this Monday just to make sure we are taking the right route for us and our 22 year old daughter. Its a scarry but exciting time. You will have to give me an overview of life in Takapuna and of course at the North Shore Hospital.
Good Luck for Monday
Jacqui
Old Jul 7th 2008, 4:55 am
Just Joined

Well you wont need the hot water bottles in jan then.
I found the london NZ immigration really helpful and quick actually. The slowest process was the NZ nursing registration...I believe I am not alone, which is surprising considering they want us here. All well at work today not alot of difference but a lot cleaner and they are very very hot on cross infection which is a good thing. Very busy though so no different to U.K.
Takapuna is great and the beach is full of friendly people, joggers, surfers, families,walkers and all lifeforms! plus the view is amazing. Not at all scary.
What was scary was the motorway which for a seasoned M25 driver is saying something....I will wait till i get a more powerful car before attempting that again. good luck with the process, maggie
Old Jul 7th 2008, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

Craig and Cat is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi folks!

Nice to meet y'all. We are a young married English couple looking to emigrate to the Southern Hemisphere. Up until recently our hearts were firmly set on starting a new life and raising a family in Australia. However, last week I had a job interview and was offered employment in Southern Auckland. This put a proverbal cat amongst the pigeons.

With a firm job offer on the table and an opportunity for a fast-track visa, we are now leaning towards New Zealand. However, whilst conducting some research into Auckland, we have been concerned about the tales of street crime, gangs, ineffective policing and rough schools. Of course, we realise that this type of thing tends to be blown out of proportion by the press, and therefore we were hoping that some real Aucklanders could give us a true reflection of life in the city. One of the reasons we're leaving old Blighty is the crime. Thus, if Auckland is as bad as they say, would we be simply jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire?

As always, all comments and views appreciated.

Last edited by Craig and Cat; Jul 7th 2008 at 3:16 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.