Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland drivers - bless 'em!!

Auckland drivers - bless 'em!!

Old Oct 11th 2007, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Auckland drivers - bless 'em!!

Spotted this on the Herald website today and thought it just about summed up Kiwi drivers at their best!

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10469464

Old Oct 11th 2007, 7:17 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland drivers - bless 'em!!

Pity they only get em while they are stationary!!!
Yesterday morning, saw one woman in a people carrier just drive down the bus lane past all the stationary traffic on Northern M'way and she smiled at me as I glanced at her (when she entered it the second time!!) - I thought about taking the Rego and sending her a letter from Land Transport (as a mate just got a violation one for being in the lane for more than 50m before the turning)........but then she'd only laugh at it!!!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 12:55 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Have experienced some really scary driving lately...

Car full of youths tailgating me at 80kph ... like RIGHT on my bumper... in the dark... on a wet road. They overtook me eventually but were so hacked off that I wouldn't go faster than the speed limit, they took the bare minimum of space to go by - I'm surprised my wing mirror stayed on...

Also someone overtook me this morning on the same bit of road I got my idiotic ticket on - I was driving at 50kph - why do they never get ticketed?

Then there was the overtaking car that suddenly realised he has to pull back into the left, but the car behind me won't let him in and he really needs to pull in right NOW due to oncoming traffic!!!! Defies the law of physics that he managed to pull in behind me and in front of the car that was just determined he wasn't coming through...

And finally an oncoming horse truck pulling a right hand turn in front of me, causing me to brake and the van behind me to pull out onto the wrong side of the road in case he clips the back of me, because of course... he's following too close

Oh deary dear... I wonder if any of them were carrying insurance
Old Oct 12th 2007, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

The sooner they raise the driving age and bring in compulsory insurance (and enforce both) the better for us all (I hope...)
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:37 pm
ned
BE Enthusiast

ned is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nicened is just really nice

What happens if someone without insurance hits you
Old Oct 13th 2007, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ned
What happens if someone without insurance hits you
In theory, if they don't have insurance, they're meant to come up with the funds themselves to fix your car if the accident was their fault.

However, make sure you get their plate, because in my experience, they'll try and leg it.

This has happened to me... someone drove off the road, up into my drive and into the back of my van, causing it to shunt into the back of my hubby's van. They took off... didn't catch a plate and the police switched off the interest as soon as they discovered I had fully comprehensive insurance.

I would recommend that EVERYONE on this board intending to drive in NZ get fully comprehensive insurance to cover the ones that don't carry any!
Old Oct 13th 2007, 11:34 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
....I would recommend that EVERYONE on this board intending to drive in NZ get fully comprehensive insurance to cover the ones that don't carry any!
yeah as I was driving into my driveway the other day some muppet skidded into a neighbours car did a 360 and drove away quick-smart. I was too busy wondering if he was gonna hit me to get the REGO.....make that insurance comprehensive and get that no-claims bonus protected
BTW the car hire co. just agreed to refund our excess on the claim we had on the last day of our hire (back in Feb) when some old Kiwi @it drove into the car when it was parked on a car park - he was driving off until MrsL got out of the car and stopped him..... £oss@!!
Old Oct 13th 2007, 7:35 pm
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

About Insurance you dont necessarily have to have Fully Comprehensive insurance to claim against an Uninsured driver.

IF you have just Third Party insurance provided you get the details of the other party involved and you are 100% clear of any blame in causing the accident then your Insurannce will pay for your repairs.

The AA, AMI and several other companies operate like this, also No Claims Discounts. That has only recently come in to be able to protect them which is good because now you can make unlimited number of claims if your on max no claims discount. Yes I know crazy!

I can not ever seeing a change to compulsory third party insurance in this country, simply wont work. 1 in 4 drivers have no insurance now and the ones that dont wont ever have insurance anyways which is why the insurance companies do this 100% blame free claim for Third party Insurance. Raising of the driving age is not going to make much differance either the idiots are already on the road and some of them have been imported.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

OK.Not being racist here,( ok,maybe slightly)but is there a general problem with all Kiwis or just our Polynesian friends?
Round here,the whites will sit at a roundabout sometimes for months waiting for a gap the size of an empty US highway,whereas the blacks will go for it regardless of who or what is in their way,and of course,you can hear them doing it.
It's quite funny to watch,until you're 3 or 4 cars back,then it's a bit niggly.
Old Oct 13th 2007, 11:38 pm
Banned

Pete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura aboutPete n Shell has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by danny.f
OK.Not being racist here,( ok,maybe slightly)but is there a general problem with all Kiwis or just our Polynesian friends?
Round here,the whites will sit at a roundabout sometimes for months waiting for a gap the size of an empty US highway,whereas the blacks will go for it regardless of who or what is in their way,and of course,you can hear them doing it.
It's quite funny to watch,until you're 3 or 4 cars back,then it's a bit niggly.
You mean Darkskinned dont you

Nope never noticed it but have noticed that Pakeha Kiwi argue more vigorous and do not admit to be in the wrong especially women.
Old Oct 14th 2007, 4:34 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell

Nope never noticed it but have noticed that Pakeha Kiwi argue more vigorous and do not admit to be in the wrong especially women.
Thought that was just all women!
Old Oct 14th 2007, 5:06 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
Thought that was just all women!
You're treading on thin ice boy!
Old Oct 14th 2007, 10:10 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Pete n Shell

yeah the typical sunglasses/blond JAFA giving you the finger if you dare to look at them funny! Been there!