Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland drivers (again!)

Auckland drivers (again!)

Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:36 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Auckland drivers (again!)

Originally Posted by Maz
Well I know happynz will back me up on this. I challenge all of you to go and drive in the US for ... oh, a day or two should do it.

Then you'll know what ****ing awful driving is!
Will that make the driving in NZ better
Old Feb 18th 2008, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz
Well I know happynz will back me up on this. I challenge all of you to go and drive in the US for ... oh, a day or two should do it.

Then you'll know what ****ing awful driving is!

I lived and worked in the US (east and west coast)...nowhere near as bad as the driving in New Zealand in my opinion. It is terrible here....and for such a small population, the road death rate stat is dreadful. NZ needs to address this, as it is disgraceful.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:00 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pascalr
knob
yes, I have one and no, you can't sleep with it.........!

otherwise, read the NZH article, realise what BM's point was and then re-read my post if you please..............and you could also check out my previous posts on this subject too......

then you could try growing a sense of humour.......:
Old Feb 18th 2008, 10:06 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
Will that make the driving in NZ better
You're headed to / already in Oz right? What do you care? Why you decided to come back here, I'll never know (and never really want to, to be honest, you're like Nerine's twin. *yawn*)

Originally Posted by NZBee
I lived and worked in the US (east and west coast)...nowhere near as bad as the driving in New Zealand in my opinion. It is terrible here....and for such a small population, the road death rate stat is dreadful. NZ needs to address this, as it is disgraceful.
How long ago? And where exactly on the east and west coasts? I moved here in October 2007. Driving in the Wellington area is WAY better than in the Chicago area. Every day when I commuted (even in 2000!) halfway into Chicago from the never-bloody-ending suburbs, 45 miles out, I felt like I took my life in my hands every single day. The speed limit on the expressways there is 55 mph. If you're not doing a minimum of 70 mph in the slow lanes, you're very likely to get run off the road or horribly horribly tailgated, bullied, lights flashed at, given the finger like you've never been tailgated, and everything else, before.

Seriously, you have no idea what a ****ing dangerous racetrack that place is. And that's just one expressway! Try driving in downtown Chicago, then get back to me, m'kay?

Last edited by Maz; Feb 18th 2008 at 10:08 am.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 6:28 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Maz
You're headed to / already in Oz right? What do you care? Why you decided to come back here, I'll never know (and never really want to, to be honest, you're like Nerine's twin. *yawn*)

How long ago? And where exactly on the east and west coasts? I moved here in October 2007. Driving in the Wellington area is WAY better than in the Chicago area. Every day when I commuted (even in 2000!) halfway into Chicago from the never-bloody-ending suburbs, 45 miles out, I felt like I took my life in my hands every single day. The speed limit on the expressways there is 55 mph. If you're not doing a minimum of 70 mph in the slow lanes, you're very likely to get run off the road or horribly horribly tailgated, bullied, lights flashed at, given the finger like you've never been tailgated, and everything else, before.

Seriously, you have no idea what a ****ing dangerous racetrack that place is. And that's just one expressway! Try driving in downtown Chicago, then get back to me, m'kay?
Maz,

You are trying to pull a Kiwi mind trick on me and everyone else

That is, point the finger to somewhere else and the problem goes away, sorry that don’t cut it.

Why do I care ? We have a five year old child. Is that enough reason to care

The discussions I have had with Kiwis regarding (real) problems in NZ always seems to end up with your line.

So what the hell are you doing here ?

If you read the article and peoples comments it is VERY CLEAR that there is a problem with the pathetic standard of DRIVING HERE in NEW ZEALAND to the extent that the deaths on the roads are just unacceptable.

We do not live in America, most of us chose to come to New Zealand.

PS: Getting nasty is not going to solve anything. Have a nice day
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

NZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of lightNZBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Maz

No, you are right. No idea about Chicago. I lived in Manhattan, DC and LA for a while (along with London).....not experienced driving in Chicago, but driven in these places, and also in South America (Brazil and Chile), and most of Europe.....Chicago must be an exception, as in my opinion NZ is worse than ANY of these places.
Old Feb 18th 2008, 7:43 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

My league table for lunatic drivers (places I've been to),

1. India, the premier league leader of vehicular insanity.

2. Indonesia, India's closest rival in road madness.

3. Thailand, just when you think you have seen it all, guess what, you haven't.

4. Taiwan, 20 million people and 22 million scooters piloted by sleepy housewives and suicidal teenagers.

5. Mexico, ¿QuiĂ©n es mĂ¡s macho?

6. Korea, Mr Kim is a busy man and so you had better get the effin' hell outta his way.

7. New Zealand, erm...uh...*scratches arse and tosses a bottle out of the window* huh? Sorry, mate, I wasn't payin' attention.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 4:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
My league table for lunatic drivers (places I've been to),

7. New Zealand, erm...uh...*scratches arse and tosses a bottle out of the window* huh? Sorry, mate, I wasn't payin' attention.
Too true, I could , but it's no laughing matter and sickens me to the core everytime I hear some hoon roaring up the road.

Seeing half a mile zig-zags of tyre rubber on the roads leaves me cold, it's not big and it's not clever.

I note the latest accessory du jour for the souped up Sooo-bar-ooo; one has to be seen with a can of RTD JD & Coke in the Cup holder. *****in' Morons! :curse:

I don't know how many more deaths there has to be on the roads before this country wakes up.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 5:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owen
In my umble opinion, ye can't go fast enugh in Auckland to kill yeself, its too bunged up! All t'deaths darn sarf!
That is why there were no road deaths in Auckland over the weekend.

My previous post was NOT to defend NZ drivers. It was to try to gently point out that the title of the topic was nothing to do with driving fatalities last weekend.

I don't know if anyone here has lost a loved one as a result of driving but I have and it wasn't in NZ (in fact no one in my family have ever been injured in a motor vehicle accident here).

At 31 my son was killed by a drunk driver in Sydney Australia.

So while I don't (and can't) defend NZ driving habits, I wouldn't exactly feel safe walking on a Sidney FOOTPATH !
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:55 am
Forum Regular

Kerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to allKerrygold is a name known to all

Oh dear - I am very even tempered BUT bad driving is the one thing that makes me see red. Looks like I may end up with high blood pressure!
Old Feb 19th 2008, 9:16 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kerrygold
Oh dear - I am very even tempered BUT bad driving is the one thing that makes me see red. Looks like I may end up with high blood pressure!
don't worry you are likely to get used to it in the end...........but it will probably still annoy you......
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:18 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
At 31 my son was killed by a drunk driver in Sydney Australia.
Sorry for your loss.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:28 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Some of the best and courteous driving I've seen was in the States. It always amazes me how those mild-mannered kiwis suddently become so impatient once they are behilnd the wheel.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 5:35 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Campbells
I posted several thoughts on this topic here on BE and got blasted from the many blinkered members.
It must be how you say it then..
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:05 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by southerner
It must be how you say it then..

Of course, the BE members on the NZ forum are such a grammatical sensitive bunch.

That’s why they chose to move to New Zealand with its high English standards along with the courteous drivers.

Sweet as

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.