Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland dentists...

Auckland dentists...

Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

smiler000 has a spectacular aura aboutsmiler000 has a spectacular aura aboutsmiler000 has a spectacular aura about
Default Auckland dentists...

Hi there guys!

1. I was wondering whether any of you can recommend me a fab dentist in central Auckland? I've been here nearly a year so I'm thinking I need to get my teeth looked at :-)

2. Also, on your first visit is it usual just to go to see the hygienist and not the dentist?? Someone told me this was true, seemed a bit screwy to me!

Thank you kindly!

:-))
Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

malcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond reputemalcoltom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland dentists...

Is that why they call you Smiler?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:12 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by smiler000
Hi there guys!

1. I was wondering whether any of you can recommend me a fab dentist in central Auckland? I've been here nearly a year so I'm thinking I need to get my teeth looked at :-)

2. Also, on your first visit is it usual just to go to see the hygienist and not the dentist?? Someone told me this was true, seemed a bit screwy to me!

Thank you kindly!

:-))
Take out a loan then...

I need to get a dentist soon also. ive been here a year and need to get it sorted...
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:13 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by malcoltom
Is that why they call you Smiler?
Old Aug 13th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

smiler000 has a spectacular aura aboutsmiler000 has a spectacular aura aboutsmiler000 has a spectacular aura about

Haha yes indeedy!

Nah, touch wood I won't need owt doing, never even had to have a filling in my teeth and every time Ive been in the UK they've just needed a polish so I;m optimistic ;-))

So...can anyone recommend a dentist.....???
Old Aug 13th 2008, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

You could try www.brianfielddentists.co.nz as they're on Queen St
Old Aug 15th 2008, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by smiler000
Haha yes indeedy!

Nah, touch wood I won't need owt doing, never even had to have a filling in my teeth and every time Ive been in the UK they've just needed a polish so I;m optimistic ;-))

So...can anyone recommend a dentist.....???
I was the same as you as my last 10 years in the UK no problems just a clean every 6 months. My first visit was to one of the big dental chains that said my teeth were in terrible condition and proceeded to fill a couple of teeth. A couple of visits and 6 months later and I was having tooth ache from the filling which they couldn't fix. Tried another dentist and still toothache. My third try and I found a dentist who could fix my problems and I used him for the next 8 years without any problems.

This was Dr Meade, 418 Glenfied Road, Glenfied. Tel 444-8779

They don't seem to have hygenists in NZ, the dentist does everything.

They also charge a fortune, it cost me nearly $2000 to get back to the position I was in before my first visit i.e PAIN FREE.

Even a clean and check costs about $100-200 and if they take x rays double it.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of

Do they have dental plans or something which covers you so you can pay monthly rather than being hit for a load of dosh in one go?
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:15 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of practices do have hygienists. ( their hourly rate is less than the dentists so it would be in your interest to get the hygienist to do your scaling and polishing!!)
Going back to the original post, strictly speaking all hygienists are supposed to work under prescription from the dentist, in NZ a fair few are also therapists and they're qualified to do all children's dentistry and a range of treatments on adults.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
A lot of practices do have hygienists. ( their hourly rate is less than the dentists so it would be in your interest to get the hygienist to do your scaling and polishing!!)
Going back to the original post, strictly speaking all hygienists are supposed to work under prescription from the dentist, in NZ a fair few are also therapists and they're qualified to do all children's dentistry and a range of treatments on adults.
Most Wellington practices have hygienists and as Pixi-dust says their hourly rate is slightly lower..I see my dentist every 9 months and my hygienist every 6 months and the kids see the dentist every 6 months so I practically live there - good job I like them ...I think it's money well spent but if cost is an issue there are dentists who will do the whole thing for you during your annual/bi-annual check up appointment.

There's an article on here that refers to separate hygienist and dentist appts as 'double-dipping' but I would say you are likely to get a more thorough clean from a hygienist yet at a cheaper cost pro rata.

To OP at least you have a firm recommendation from someone now - looking at websites can also be useful at least for drawing up a shortlist...name in a phone book isn't sufficient to go on in my view!
Old Aug 15th 2008, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Soppydot4
Do they have dental plans or something which covers you so you can pay monthly rather than being hit for a load of dosh in one go?
I expect so but it often works out cheaper long term to just save the premium instead and do 'pay as you go'...my Expat health insurance covers emergency dental only.
Old Aug 15th 2008, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Thank you so much guys you have really put my mind at ease - a mate in work has recommended someone to me and I have an appointment to see the hygienist in the next few weeks - woo!

Cheers again, all :-)))
Old Aug 16th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Tip: The further away from the CBD, the cheaper the dentist... my dentist in Massey charged just $40 to reglue my crown and around $150 for a filling.

Pat Kika, Royal Road - in the White Pages.
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Kiwipaul
I was the same as you as my last 10 years in the UK no problems just a clean every 6 months. My first visit was to one of the big dental chains that said my teeth were in terrible condition and proceeded to fill a couple of teeth. A couple of visits and 6 months later and I was having tooth ache from the filling which they couldn't fix. Tried another dentist and still toothache. My third try and I found a dentist who could fix my problems and I used him for the next 8 years without any problems.

This was Dr Meade, 418 Glenfied Road, Glenfied. Tel 444-8779

They don't seem to have hygenists in NZ, the dentist does everything.

They also charge a fortune, it cost me nearly $2000 to get back to the position I was in before my first visit i.e PAIN FREE.

Even a clean and check costs about $100-200 and if they take x rays double it.
They've got a website now as well: http://sites.yellow.co.nz/site/glenfield-dental/