British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Auckland/coramandel Lots of questions sorry.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/auckland-coramandel-lots-questions-sorry-597694/)

Di and Ste Mar 15th 2009 5:16 pm

Auckland/coramandel Lots of questions sorry....

Hi everyone

So we're started to narrow the search for a place to live, I have been on loads of sights including this one and writing down what areas everyone lives in and how they feel about the areas, looking at schools, houses ect....

first of all, is it true that in Auckland you have adverts warning you of volcanic eruptions, earthquakes ect and to get ready??? Auckland looks absolutely beautiful but so does Coramandel!!! I'm concentrating on these two areas at the moment. Hubby is in IT and so will need a job in this area, I'm a childminder but I don;t think that they are needed as much!!!!!:)

Is there anyone on here who lives in these areas who could help me with a couple of questions about these areas.

What are the schools/ colleges like here?

Mountain biking I have been looking at a few sites about mountain biking and it certainly looks good, hubby is especially into downhill so wondered if anyone here enjoys this too and do you know of any websites that he can look at ....

Jobs - is there anyone on here that works in IT? OH has worked in IT for over 10 years, he is an IT manager and works on .net development, SQL, progress, open edge and JD Edwards. Our question is he does not have a 'formal' qualification ie, BTEC, Degree, but he does have trade qualifications from courses that he has sat in will these help? Or will he need to sit a BTEC to help us get over? Is there a need for his area of IT in the Auckland or Coramandel, (or surrounding areas about half hour drive from them).

Will these areas cover what we want?? relaxed life, lots to do as in walking / going to the beach / mountain biking, places to go as a family, retail therepy about half an hour - one hour away,and working up to the same distance

ukkiwi Mar 15th 2009 7:02 pm

Re: Auckland/coramandel Lots of questions sorry....

Originally Posted by Di and Ste (Post 7381888)
Hi everyone

So we're started to narrow the search for a place to live, I have been on loads of sights including this one and writing down what areas everyone lives in and how they feel about the areas, looking at schools, houses ect....

first of all, is it true that in Auckland you have adverts warning you of volcanic eruptions, earthquakes ect and to get ready??? Auckland looks absolutely beautiful but so does Coramandel!!! I'm concentrating on these two areas at the moment. Hubby is in IT and so will need a job in this area, I'm a childminder but I don;t think that they are needed as much!!!!!:)

Is there anyone on here who lives in these areas who could help me with a couple of questions about these areas.

Mountain biking I have been looking at a few sites about mountain biking and it certainly looks good, hubby is especially into downhill so wondered if anyone here enjoys this too and do you know of any websites that he can look at ....

Jobs - is there anyone on here that works in IT? OH has worked in IT for over 10 years, he is an IT manager and works on .net development, SQL, progress, open edge and JD Edwards. Our question is he does not have a 'formal' qualification ie, BTEC, Degree, but he does have trade qualifications from courses that he has sat in will these help? Or will he need to sit a BTEC to help us get over? Is there a need for his area of IT in the Auckland or Coramandel, (or surrounding areas about half hour drive from them).

Will these areas cover what we want?? relaxed life, lots to do as in walking / going to the beach / mountain biking, places to go as a family, retail therepy about half an hour - one hour away,and working up to the same distance

Just mentioned in another thread - if he has proven experience and can secure a job offer then you dont need any IT qualifications.

If he wants to get residency without a job offer then he'll probably need a degree to get enough points.

There's lots of big IT firms in Auckland, all the major global players plus smaller NZ based companies - wont be much IT in Coromandel though unless he can get a work from home role.

Have a look at it.seek.co.nz

Di and Ste Mar 15th 2009 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by ukkiwi (Post 7382163)
Just mentioned in another thread - if he has proven experience and can secure a job offer then you dont need any IT qualifications.

If he wants to get residency without a job offer then he'll probably need a degree to get enough points.

There's lots of big IT firms in Auckland, all the major global players plus smaller NZ based companies - wont be much IT in Coromandel though unless he can get a work from home role.

Have a look at it.seek.co.nz

thank you very much for your help, you're a star!!!!! :-)

scrubbedexpat094 Mar 15th 2009 8:42 pm

I agree that Auckland will be your best bet for IT jobs rather than the Coromandel.

As far as mountain biking goes there are some great tracks at Woodhill, nr Kumeu, Auckland. I suggest you take a look at www.aucklandmtb.co.nz.

You may need to do some kiwi-training for being a child minder here. I'd post your schools/colleges question on the main forum, you should get a better response there.

Good luck :thumbsup:

Di and Ste Mar 15th 2009 9:19 pm

that's brill thank you for gtting back to me:-) I love this site :-)

Di and Ste Mar 15th 2009 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 7382436)
I agree that Auckland will be your best bet for IT jobs rather than the Coromandel.

As far as mountain biking goes there are some great tracks at Woodhill, nr Kumeu, Auckland. I suggest you take a look at www.aucklandmtb.co.nz.

You may need to do some kiwi-training for being a child minder here. I'd post your schools/colleges question on the main forum, you should get a better response there.

Good luck :thumbsup:

I can not wait to show my boys that mountain biking site it looks brill!!!! Think I might give it a go too!!!!!!

Browner_ Mar 16th 2009 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Di and Ste (Post 7382580)
I can not wait to show my boys that mountain biking site it looks brill!!!! Think I might give it a go too!!!!!!

Does anyone live in the Coromandel apart from campsite owner and hicks?

chocolate cake Mar 16th 2009 7:17 am

Originally Posted by Di and Ste (Post 7381888)
Hi everyone

There's unlikely to be little in the way of IT work on the Coromandel unless you really drop on your feet.

Mountainbike wise though, I've been v. disappointed with the riding that's available in the vicinity of Auckland. Depends what floats your boat, but Woodhill's alright for the occassional blast but there's little in the way of natural trails, and access generally is not good at all compared to the UK. Loads of private signs and no biking signs.

I've done alot more road riding since I came here because of it. Further afield there's certainly some good riding - Rotorua and Taupo areas are excellent, but too far away for regular outings.

I'm just back from a couple of weeks on the South Island mainly hiking, but the opportunities for mtn biking in say the Christchurch area look loads better.

Walking wise again, some good walking in Waitakeres to west of auckland, but the variety isn't the same as the UK and in particular access wise.

Di and Ste Mar 16th 2009 10:52 am

Originally Posted by chocolate cake (Post 7383562)
There's unlikely to be little in the way of IT work on the Coromandel unless you really drop on your feet.

Mountainbike wise though, I've been v. disappointed with the riding that's available in the vicinity of Auckland. Depends what floats your boat, but Woodhill's alright for the occassional blast but there's little in the way of natural trails, and access generally is not good at all compared to the UK. Loads of private signs and no biking signs.

I've done alot more road riding since I came here because of it. Further afield there's certainly some good riding - Rotorua and Taupo areas are excellent, but too far away for regular outings.

I'm just back from a couple of weeks on the South Island mainly hiking, but the opportunities for mtn biking in say the Christchurch area look loads better.

Walking wise again, some good walking in Waitakeres to west of auckland, but the variety isn't the same as the UK and in particular access wise.

thanks for getting back to me. I will let Ste know,Mountain biking is very important to him he absolutely loves it so thanks for letting us know you;re a star