British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Auckland climate and what to do in the winter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/auckland-climate-what-do-winter-552257/)

helen roberts Jul 30th 2008 7:51 pm

Auckland climate and what to do in the winter

Hi everyone

Don't normally post on NZ forum as have been planning to emigrate to Oz. However, coming around to the idea that NZ may fit our bill, so trying to do a bit of research. Have been to NZ but not since backpacker days, so wondering what do people generally do in the winter, especially to entertain young children? (We have a 3 year old and a 2 year old.) I know that it does rain a lot more in Auckland than the Australian cities we have been looking at but am led to believe that it rains heavily for a couple of days and then the sun comes back out (rather than the persistent drizzle we have in the UK.)

In a nutshell, how predictable is the weather and what do people do with their kids in the wintertime?

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Helen

P18PPS Jul 30th 2008 9:51 pm

Re: Auckland climate and what to do in the winter

We've been here nearly 3 years and have 11, 4 and 1 year old. Yes your perseption is right - if it's bad in the winter it may rain solidly for 3-4 days but then the break in weather will come and we'll get gorgeous sunny days, and even in winter if theres no wind it it t-shirt weather (in Auckland). On wet days you can still go out, you just put your raincoats on (it rarely gets freezing cold here). If it's blowing a gale too though you want to stay indoors, and there are plenty of decent swimming pools with wave machines, cinemas, shopping malls, "lollipops play land", butterfly creek, bowling, indoor rock climbing, museum, maritime museum, rollerblading, ice skating...... etc etc - all the things you'd get in a big city in the UK.

There's also skiing at Ruhepehu about 3.5 hours south of Auckland by car.

Once your children get to school age there are also plenty of school holiday programmes run by church groups and community centres to keep the children occupied all the time.

SarahB Jul 31st 2008 1:53 am

Hi Helen, I have 2 littlies as well, one girl who is 18 months old and my lad who is 4 and a half. My 4 year old goes to kindy every day, the state kindy starts about 3 and a half year old, they go for 3 afternoons a week, when he was 4 and 2 months he started going every morning.... the Monday after he is 5 he will start school... there are plenty of private pre-schools and kindys around too if you dont want them to go to the state one.

My 18 month old goes to Playgroup, which is held in the next village and run by us mums, theres bound to be one near where you live. There are also Playcentres, where you go so many mornings a week, personally I prefer Playgroup but I have friends whove been going to PlayCentres for years.

There is usually something to do each day, with swimming, gymnastic sessions, coffee mornings, Mainly Music, Playgroups etc.

Every single day in the summer I take my kids to the park or the beach in the afternoon after littlun wakes from her nap... I meet up with my friends and their kids, we always take afternoon tea with us. I try to go in the winter too as much as I can...every single sunny day. Its not cold here so the kids are not wrapped up in layers and thick coats etc.... I think Ive worn a coat about 6 times in the 3 years Ive been here.... mind you the kiwis think its freezing haha...

This last summer was gorgeous up here, we had a real mediterranean summer, everywhere was parched... we collect rain water here and it didnt rain for weeks and weeks, everyone had to order water in. We were all hoping for rain at the end of the summer..... now its come round to bite us on the bum.... we have slightly too much rain at the moment, I think our tanks might be overflowing now!

Im sure you would find something to do with your kids, pick some where that has some nice beaches and parks nearby and youll be fine. Talk to people at the park etc, even ask at the local Docs/Plunket and ask other mums what groups are happening locally... thats what I did.

Good luck, SarahB

helen roberts Jul 31st 2008 9:02 am

Thanks guys

It's brilliant to get info from people who actually live there. Sometimes it feels like such a HUGE decision!

Thank you so much for taking the time.

Helen:)

chocolate cake Jul 31st 2008 9:23 am

Currently going through my first winter here after arriving at the tail end if summer. The actual amount of rain this month and half has been a surprise I never realized NZ had a monsoon season!

Certainly that's how it's felt, I bike to work everyday so I get out in it whatever, but there's been few days in this month when I've gone to work dry and come home dry. I think it's worse recently as the weekend's have been wash outs too.

It's not that cold though outside (it is inside but that's another story), I was in shorts today for instance.

Flan Jul 31st 2008 11:28 am

Hi Chocolate Cake

I see you live in Cockle Bay and cycle to work. Do you work in the CBD? If so do you bike - ferry - bike?!

We are hoping to move to that area of Auckland and my hubby will have a job in the CBD. He currently cycles 15 miles each day to work - through choice!! ;) - and was hoping he could do the same in NZ. Can you offer any info on this?

P18PPS Jul 31st 2008 8:09 pm

[QUOTE=chocolate cake;6631165]Currently going through my first winter here after arriving at the tail end if summer. The actual amount of rain this month and half has been a surprise I never realized NZ had a monsoon season!

This is our third winter in Auckland and it has been by far the wettest, especially in the last month. The first winter was the coldest they had for 10 years, it got down to 3 degrees overnight on the worst days! The second was really good, there were very few wet or cold periods more thn a couple of days mainly sunny lovely days about 12 -18 degrees. This year started well but in late June the rain has come. There was talk of electricity shortages because there wasn't enough rain but when they came boy did they come. We have had several good periods but the rain, and wind, in the last 3 to 4 weeks ahs been quite bad.

Never mind spring will be here shortly and the sun will be back for day after day.