British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Auckland or bust by xmas: districts to rent a house (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/auckland-bust-xmas-districts-rent-house-917196/)

PeteHusky Sep 11th 2018 11:45 pm

Auckland or bust by xmas: districts to rent a house

Hi again

After some very useful advice on banking from this forum I thought I'd try to get some insider knowledge about the areas in Auckland to consider, and most important the areas to avoid.

Ill be working in in the penrose area so not expecting to be on north shore, and if we can afford somewhere near the coast great within 30 mins drive, then ideal. But the main question is, are there some areas of Auckland that would be less safe to live that we should think twice about?

Many thanks

Pete

Bo-Jangles Sep 12th 2018 8:31 am

Re: Auckland or bust by xmas: districts to rent a house

Choose wisely: Southside Rising

Some will of course say: Ōtara gets an unfair rap in the media. LOL

A Rush And A Push Sep 12th 2018 11:20 pm

Having a quick look at the map around Penrose.
Deoends hugely on your budget.
To the north of Penrose, Mission Bay, Kohimarama, St Heliers all lovely, by the sea and pricey. Remuera posh and v pricey. Glen Innes quite mixed. Glendowie nice I think. One Tree Hill and Ellerslie nice. Stonefields full of lots of new houses, pretty affluent on the whole. For beachside you could go further east to Half Moon Bay and Bucklands Beach, both nice but a longer drive.

I wouldnt bother with most of the bit immediately south of Penrose. Otahuhu, Otara, Mangere, Manurewa etc - they’re not really the best side of NZ IMO. Mangere Bridge is ok.

Basically notth, east and west of Penrose range from ok/fine to fantastic. Deoends how far you want to drive and what your budget is. Immediately south - I’d steer clear.

Any my other specific suburbs ask away.

PeteHusky Sep 13th 2018 10:30 pm

Thanks - thats a great starter for ten. I've booked a temporary apartment for 2 months in Kobimarama to give us time to house hunt proper when we arrive. I'll come back with specific suburbs to ask about once we're doing that.

bearskin Sep 16th 2018 7:09 pm

I've heard that Buckland Beach is a nice place to live, and Half Moon Bay.

jmh Sep 19th 2018 1:31 am

Originally Posted by bearskin (Post 12563816)
I've heard that Buckland Beach is a nice place to live, and Half Moon Bay.

I second those two. Nice beaches nearby. Mangere Bridge is ok, but I'm not sure if the beaches are swimable.

Bo-Jangles Sep 19th 2018 7:42 am

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 12564901)
Mangere Bridge is ok, but I'm not sure if the beaches are swimable.

That's not really a big factor considering that for most of last summer a lot of Auckland's popular swimming beaches were deemed to be too filthy for swimming and are contaminated with sewage every time we had a heavy downpour. Those that did still have a green tick were surrounded by other contaminated waters, so I wouldn't trust any of them, as I haven't worked out exactly how the fecal matter decided which beaches to avoid.

jmh Sep 19th 2018 9:13 pm

This might help: https://safeswim.org.nz

sr71 Oct 15th 2018 7:27 am

I work in Penrose, got a house in Epsom, which was very convenient (Near Mt St John) - maximum 10 minutes to work, good schools, close to Cornwall Park, Newmarket, handy for the city and motorways etc. I have to move to Parnell now, so it's bit further from work, bit closer to the city.

The beachside suburbs are mostly very nice, Orakei, Kohi, St Heliers, Mission Bay etc. But they are not great for commuting, bit of a hassle to get there and I actually think their facilities are not so good. No supermarkets for example, you need to go to Glenn Innes or Meadowbank for those.

I think the best suburbs are Parnell, Remuera, Epsom, Greenlane, One Tree Hill, parts of Onehunga, Ellerslie. Also Penrose has a trains station which can be very handy if you live near a station. Maybe also consider Royal Oak, Stonefields, Meadowbank. The best bit about all of these suburbs is going to Penrose is against most of the traffic at rush hours.

I wouldn't go south at all, not that anywhere is dangerous or off-limits, it's just not that nice.

North Shore is just too far, the Eastern suburbs like Howick and Bucklands Beach also too far out for me, plus the traffic coming in.