British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Auckland area (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/auckland-area-925361/)

BtotheR Jun 3rd 2019 9:25 pm

Re: Auckland area

Originally Posted by jarv5116 (Post 12692528)
Most properties here are 3 beds. you dont really see many 2 beds. the 2 beds are usually units or apartments.

Be very wary of this as actually there were a lot of 2 bedroom houses in NZ that are now 3 bedroom with two small bedrooms in them. When the property boom hit a few years ago, people realised dividing a room into two increased the property value by around $40k+. I have lots of friends that bought "3 bedroom' places that have rooms at the end of the, now quite small, lounge now ortwo tiny bedrooms with a 40 grand wall between them.

At the risk of being slated by others - I would have to say the comment about South Auckland being as rough as anywhere in Auckland is really not true.

Also free swimming for kids at the leisure centre?? Where? Didn't have that anywhere in West Auckland or anywhere I have heard of????

"Another comment I've heard a lot too is about NZ being like the UK 20 years ago which ties in with your Scottish village comment. For some this is a negative but for us it sounds great as we want to get back to a simpler life." - I can see why this seems ideal but you have to think when the uk was 20 years ago we didn't know any different - now we do so living 20 years backwards can be really frustrating in many ways!

But yep, don't forget your sunscreen.

simonsi Jun 3rd 2019 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by mexnick (Post 12692359)
Child care is a killer but my 2 girls (10 & 11) are getting to the age where they'll be able to take themselves to school and home again which will greatly reduce outgoings.

Bear in mind the legal age at which you can leave children on their own here is 14.

BEVS Jun 4th 2019 1:48 am

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12692963)
Be very wary of this as actually there were a lot of 2 bedroom houses in NZ that are now 3 bedroom with two small bedrooms in them

and one in the garage.
I am not up in Auckland but swimming pools here charge for child swims. They are not free. However schools do have swimming pools and of course those swim lessons are free <----- donations notwithstanding.

With regard to the enforced two/three week Xmas / New Year shutdown. It is a pain in the bum. Not everyone has kids and not everyone wants to be taking precious time from work at the most expensive height of the season when everywhere is crowded out.

We left the UK 15 years ago. I well remember the UK 20 years ago of course. The saying used to be that NZ was like the UK in the 50's , not Y2000. To be honest, I don't think it's like UK 50's or any decade for that matter. It is more American in its approach to my thinking and it is very much its own place with its own ways. If someone wants a simpler life then that can be achieved anywhere. Just live more simply.

Justcol Jun 4th 2019 4:54 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12693036)
If someone wants a simpler life then that can be achieved anywhere. Just live more simply.

Been preaching that for years now and get abused for it, apparently it's not that simple...!!!

Mishclark Jun 4th 2019 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12693056)
Been preaching that for years now and get abused for it, apparently it's not that simple...!!!

No abuse here, makes sense to me!

BEVS Jun 4th 2019 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Justcol (Post 12693056)

Ums. Not sure when, why, where or what Col.
Actually don't remember you having written that people in the UK or other countries may be able to effect a simple life where they are rather than emigrate.

I think you have been taken to task sometimes for suggesting that those that find living in NZ hard for whatever reason should shut up , pack up and move out - which of course is not that simple at all.

Bo-Jangles Jun 4th 2019 7:32 am

Originally Posted by jarv5116 (Post 12692319)
I'm 38 and its like living up in Scotland in a village when I was a kid.

Out of nowhere, a White Rabbit runs past fretting about being late. The Rabbit pulls a watch out of his waistcoat pocket and runs across the field and down a hole. Are we still talking about Auckland?

jarv5116 Jun 4th 2019 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12693091)
Out of nowhere, a White Rabbit runs past fretting about being late. The Rabbit pulls a watch out of his waistcoat pocket and runs across the field and down a hole. Are we still talking about Auckland?

How often do you see young kids maybe 6-8 year old walking to school by themself in UK now?

Moses2013 Jun 4th 2019 8:31 am

Originally Posted by jarv5116 (Post 12693093)
How often do you see young kids maybe 6-8 year old walking to school by themself in UK now?

According to media in NZ most kids are being driven to school. This was also a few years ago, so doubt it's any different. It's also natural if you live in a rural country and especially if you have bad drivers around you and no pavements:
A Transport Ministry report released last December shows that fewer than a third of Kiwi kids take active transport to school (walking, cycling or using a scooter), and about 60 per cent are dropped off at the gate.

The number of kids biking to school plummeted from 19 per cent of secondary students and 12 per cent of primary pupils in 1989/90 to 3 per cent and 2 per cent respectively by 2014.

Walking rates dropped, particularly among primary school children, from 42 per cent 25 years ago to a record low of 22 per cent by 2007, but has since increased to 29 per cent by 2014. The report highlights new statistics from the Health Ministry showing that one in three Kiwi kids is overweight or obese.

Bo-Jangles Jun 4th 2019 9:03 am

Not many in Auckland either, that's why travelling to work last week during the teachers strike was such a pleasure. I see a few random kids doing the walking bus thing with an adult, or bigger kids getting school buses but seldom see small kids walking on their own.

Bo-Jangles Jun 4th 2019 9:12 am

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12692963)

At the risk of being slated by others - I would have to say the comment about South Auckland being as rough as anywhere in Auckland is really not true.

At the risk of being slated by a certain individual - I would have to say that the words barge pole and touch might even have been mentioned once or twice in the past. :rofl:

BtotheR Jun 4th 2019 10:03 am

All the time actually here. I don't think you can generalise the UK as a whole or judge it by London (Or NZ by Auckland for that fact).

We see kids walking up over hills around here and past castles getting to school on their own and would only be around 8 years old. And to add to this point I have a friend in Walthamstow in London and he won't even let his 10 year old girl play on the park right outside of the front of his house on her own.

I agree with BEVS post (all of it actually) - if you want a simpler life you can achieve it anywhere.

mexnick Jun 4th 2019 12:03 pm

I understand that everyone is trying to paint a realistic picture of NZ for me and I am trying my best to keep a level head about the potential move but I’m starting to get the feeling that most people on here have a slightly negative view of the country? Having never been I don’t pretend to have a clear idea of what it is like there but previously I have only ever heard good things about the place. Through either meeting travelling kiwis, friends who live there or via the media NZ seems to have a reputation as a lovely place to live. Obviously it’s not for everyone but in the main it is viewed as a nice country, it’s rated 8th happiest place to live.

as my decision day for the job gets closer I’m feeling more confused than ever! I’m not expecting nirvana, just better weather, less hustle and bustle and a generally nice place to bring my kids up.

BtotheR Jun 4th 2019 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by mexnick (Post 12693188)
I understand that everyone is trying to paint a realistic picture of NZ for me and I am trying my best to keep a level head about the potential move but I’m starting to get the feeling that most people on here have a slightly negative view of the country? Having never been I don’t pretend to have a clear idea of what it is like there but previously I have only ever heard good things about the place. Through either meeting travelling kiwis, friends who live there or via the media NZ seems to have a reputation as a lovely place to live. Obviously it’s not for everyone but in the main it is viewed as a nice country, it’s rated 8th happiest place to live.

as my decision day for the job gets closer I’m feeling more confused than ever! I’m not expecting nirvana, just better weather, less hustle and bustle and a generally nice place to bring my kids up.

Why not give it a go - you only live once and would you want to live the rest of your life thinking "What if...?"

Whats the worst that could happen - you have to move back? Yorkshire will still be here, as will everything else.

No one else can predict YOUR experience, only advise their own. My advice would be to go for it and go for it whole heartedly with a open mind, acceptance of change and not expect unicorns dancing on rainbows.

Although happy to be back, I don't regret my time out there at all. And there's a lot of Brits I know still out there loving it and who wouldn't ever return...

mexnick Jun 4th 2019 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by BtotheR (Post 12693193)
Why not give it a go - you only live once and would you want to live the rest of your life thinking "What if...?"

Whats the worst that could happen - you have to move back? Yorkshire will still be here, as will everything else.

No one else can predict YOUR experience, only advise their own. My advice would be to go for it and go for it whole heartedly with a open mind, acceptance of change and not expect unicorns dancing on rainbows.

Although happy to be back, I don't regret my time out there at all. And there's a lot of Brits I know still out there loving it and who wouldn't ever return...

I totally get the go for it attitude, I am that type of person and have lived abroad several times before. Trouble now is I have two young children to consider, I don’t want to unsettle them to somewhere that doesn’t hold some promise hence this horrible indecision that I’m going through. I can put financial losses into perspective but putting my kids through the upheaval involved with changing schools and losing friends weighs a lot more on my mind.

i agree with your positive approach and expect I will trust my instinct and go for it, am just being a cautious dad who wants to make the best decision for the kids as well as for me and my wife.

Moses2013 Jun 4th 2019 12:48 pm

You say Through either meeting travelling kiwis, friends who live there or via the media NZ seems to have a reputation as a lovely place to live.
At the end of the day I would be focused on the location rather than the country. I could tell you how amazing the Costa Brava is but you wouldn't be bothered, as you work and live in England.
The time it takes you to drive from Auckland to Nelson would be the same as driving from Calais to Tossa:-). You probably have more experience than any of us here, but just saying that the location within the country is more important than anything else.

mexnick Jun 4th 2019 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12693207)
You say Through either meeting travelling kiwis, friends who live there or via the media NZ seems to have a reputation as a lovely place to live.
At the end of the day I would be focused on the location rather than the country. I could tell you how amazing the Costa Brava is but you wouldn't be bothered, as you work and live in England.
The time it takes you to drive from Auckland to Nelson would be the same as driving from Calais to Tossa:-). You probably have more experience than any of us here, but just saying that the location within the country is more important than anything else.

how does that figure with AK being rated as one of the best cities to live though?? I’ve hardly heard a positive thing about the city on the forum, maybe the happy folk are offline enjoying themselves somewhere??

Moses2013 Jun 4th 2019 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by mexnick (Post 12693282)

how does that figure with AK being rated as one of the best cities to live though?? I’ve hardly heard a positive thing about the city on the forum, maybe the happy folk are offline enjoying themselves somewhere??

I suppose you mean the Mercer Quality of Living Survey? Ironically it's an investment company, so even Frankfurt makes top 10. I worked around Frankfurt for many years, still have many friends from the area but not one person would say Frankfurt is an amazing city. They complain that housing is too expensive, shopping is terrible and if you arrive at Frankfurter Hauptbahnhof the needles are on the street (seen it myself). Maybe a great city for the the International Banker who drives to work with his big Audi and lives in Bad Vilbel but otherwise I have no clue how they rate. Maybe it's also based on the price of a Big Mac:-).

mexnick Jun 4th 2019 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 12693331)
I suppose you mean the Mercer Quality of Living Survey? Ironically it's an investment company, so even Frankfurt makes top 10. I worked around Frankfurt for many years, still have many friends from the area but not one person would say Frankfurt is an amazing city. They complain that housing is too expensive, shopping is terrible and if you arrive at Frankfurter Hauptbahnhof the needles are on the street (seen it myself). Maybe a great city for the the International Banker who drives to work with his big Audi and lives in Bad Vilbel but otherwise I have no clue how they rate. Maybe it's also based on the price of a Big Mac:-).

Don't think it was that particular survey...did a google search and found the below link, Frankfurt not mentioned in that top 10 though?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/n...-intelligence/

I know what you mean though, i've been to some apparently beautiful, friendly cities around the world and had a bad experience and equally the other way around so who knows! I lived in an area of London famous for it's number of gang murders, I had a great time there and never felt unsafe...probably helped that i wasn't in a gang?

Bo-Jangles Jun 4th 2019 7:48 pm

I’ve hardly heard a positive thing about the city on the forum, maybe the happy folk are offline enjoying themselves somewhere??

I guess you need to read a bit more widely, most New Zealanders have a rather dim view about Auckland and its people.

Auckland's primary issues around housing and transport are notorious and widely written and talked about in the media etc; it's a simple fact of rapid growth in people with no growth in infrastructure or transport. They built a bridge 60 years ago that was not even adequate for requirements at the time and that has only got increasingly worse and still no real plans in place to do anything about it in the forseeeable. I first came here in 2004 and around that time Auckland's population was said to be 1 million people; in 15 years that has now grown to to 1.65 million and very little has been done to improve infrastructure to accommodate and transport those additional 650 thousand people.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=11831599

BEVS Jun 4th 2019 10:01 pm

I understand that everyone is trying to paint a realistic picture of NZ for me and I am trying my best to keep a level head about the potential move but I’m starting to get the feeling that most people on here have a slightly negative view of the country?

Not really. It is perhaps that what is written is not maybe what you expected to read . Also remember that what is written is from people with their boots on NZ ground right now and who are living that NZ life every day. Their opinions and views are theirs to own and you should simply sift through it all and take from it what you will.

Forget rankings and surveys. They will always be skewed one way or another. Forget traveling Kiwis for they are already in love. Definitely ignore media or PR reports.
However if you have friends living in Auckland then listen to them and quiz them hard. Make sure they are giving you the whole wider pic and not just the one to entice.

I’ve hardly heard a positive thing about the city on the forum, maybe the happy folk are offline enjoying themselves somewhere??

This is often peddled throughout BE across the assorted country forums but in the main this is simply not a truth. Those in Auckland or who have experienced Auckland are simply saying it like it is from what they see, experience and live. That does not mean they are not having happy fulfilled private personal lives. They are living that NZ Auckland life - the one you are considering.

FWIW New Zealand is a nice enough country. There again so are many other countries including the UK. Many people are leading happy lives in both these countries. My own family and friends in Dorset UK have wonderful happy lives for instance. Another pal left a Scottish Isle to live in Beadale . Her family live a wonderful affordable simple outdoor/indoor UK life . My point being it doesn't have to be NZ for that.

It is true that most Kiwis eschew Auckland as not the place to be in NZ and in fact many Aucklanders look to escape the rat race for the quieter simpler life elsewhere in NZ. We get 'em here in the Nelson/Tasman region. It is a good enough place for you to get your family foot in the door if you can afford it. After that, then you think whether it is the place for you or whether you move on.

Best thing is back to practicalities for you.
Will you have enough $$$ to survive Auckland
Can you buy in a reasonable area there within an also reasonable commute to work.
or
Can you rent.

Bottom line here. It should be about the pull to try something new rather than the push from a place one does not wish or like to be in. If you think NZ and in particular Auckland is calling you & your partner and kids are up for it , then you go for it. From there you have further choices.

Mishclark Jun 5th 2019 12:13 am

I tried to give you Karma for this post Bevs as it hits the nail on the head but apparently I have to spread myself around more first!
;)

garethwm Jun 5th 2019 5:01 am

Mex, generally I sympathise with you, but in all honesty there's been some positive posts in your thread. Simonsi said if you live in say Blockhouse Bay or somewhere out to the west you can be at work in Takapuna in half an hour. And Jarv offered his insights. It hasn't been all bad. But you're right about the quality of life surveys. No matter who's doing it, Auckland is pretty much top 10 in every one :)

jarv5116 Jun 5th 2019 7:02 am

Like I said in a previous post on here. I think the majority of British want want want.
If you read some of the posts you see what I mean.
Its like I said someone will be living in a cheap area up North for example live in a 2 or 3 bed semi ex council house. on just say normal salary 30k. They want to move to the most expensive area in NZ and live in the most expensive suburbs and wonder why they have money issues. On top of that they moan cause they need to work more hours to fund it. If you can't afford to live somewhere don't live there simple. I would love to live in regent street or Mayfair but it ain't going happen.
Its not rocket science if you can't afford to live somewhere don't live there.
Me and my wife prefer NZ. But we aint day dreamers. both of us knew we had come here to a new country work hard and enjoy our time off.I also think NZ is defo not for everyone. everything is done different out here its a totally different culture and way of life. If you come out here and wanna have English life in NZ you most likely never settle and end up back home. I think that's where most people have problems. People walk around Bare footed in Tesco out here doing there weekly shop :banghead:
If you enjoy living in the Yorkshire dales love outdoor lifestyle and want milder weather you mostly like it out here. If you want shopping like the metro centre or think its going be like the States or a little England your going have problems and find it hard to settle.
OMFG it's 3 dollars for 2 litres milk it's 50p more expensive in NZ OMG. If you worry about that every day your going have problems.

Gangs are totally different here too. You never see Ganga and I haven't had any trouble or felt unsafe or threatened once. Forget young kids 18 year old hanging round shops in gangs of 30 people. As I said I live in South Auckland suppose be bad area. Never seen a gang hanging around once. If you dont get involved in any of it you wont get any trouble. Every town or city in NZ has gangs Its not young kids there 30 and 40 year old. belive it or not one of only times I have see a big gang of bikers was actually in Titirangi, bout 50 gang members on bikes come out RSA. must been doing something for charity or something.

Moses2013 Jun 5th 2019 8:46 am

Originally Posted by jarv5116 (Post 12693528)
People walk around Bare footed in Tesco out here doing there weekly shop :banghead:
Gangs are totally different here too. You never see Ganga and I haven't had any trouble or felt unsafe or threatened once. Forget young kids 18 year old hanging round shops in gangs of 30 people. As I said I live in South Auckland suppose be bad area. Never seen a gang hanging around once. If you dont get involved in any of it you wont get any trouble. Every town or city in NZ has gangs Its not young kids there 30 and 40 year old. belive it or not one of only times I have see a big gang of bikers was actually in Titirangi, bout 50 gang members on bikes come out RSA. must been doing something for charity or something.

Oh I've seen many of those barefooted people here too and I get your point with the bikers. Saw a bunch of them on Monday, probably on the way back from BikeFest in Killarney. Very dangerous people and they listen to loud music too:lol:

garethwm Jun 5th 2019 9:20 am

(just an opinion from one of the anonymous people on the internet and it's not necessarily right) I'm coming around to the thought, because you seem to be hanging off every word spoken here, that the safe option might be your best bet Mex. We can't tell you whether you and your family should come. We can't tell you whether your life will be better in NZ. My philosophy is to try and live the happiest life possible. To do that I've had to make important decisions, part of which includes having pride in my city, the people and the community. If you don't have the pride, try and do something about it, although it's not always possible when families are involved, and it might not include emigrating. A bit deep I suppose.

So, the safest options are :
Stay in the UK or
Come to Auckland for a visit and get a feel for it.