Auckland area

Old Jun 4th 2019, 10:01 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Auckland area

Originally Posted by mexnick
I understand that everyone is trying to paint a realistic picture of NZ for me and I am trying my best to keep a level head about the potential move but I’m starting to get the feeling that most people on here have a slightly negative view of the country?
Not really. It is perhaps that what is written is not maybe what you expected to read . Also remember that what is written is from people with their boots on NZ ground right now and who are living that NZ life every day. Their opinions and views are theirs to own and you should simply sift through it all and take from it what you will.

Forget rankings and surveys. They will always be skewed one way or another. Forget traveling Kiwis for they are already in love. Definitely ignore media or PR reports.
However if you have friends living in Auckland then listen to them and quiz them hard. Make sure they are giving you the whole wider pic and not just the one to entice.

Originally Posted by mexnick

I’ve hardly heard a positive thing about the city on the forum, maybe the happy folk are offline enjoying themselves somewhere??
This is often peddled throughout BE across the assorted country forums but in the main this is simply not a truth. Those in Auckland or who have experienced Auckland are simply saying it like it is from what they see, experience and live. That does not mean they are not having happy fulfilled private personal lives. They are living that NZ Auckland life - the one you are considering.

FWIW New Zealand is a nice enough country. There again so are many other countries including the UK. Many people are leading happy lives in both these countries. My own family and friends in Dorset UK have wonderful happy lives for instance. Another pal left a Scottish Isle to live in Beadale . Her family live a wonderful affordable simple outdoor/indoor UK life . My point being it doesn't have to be NZ for that.

It is true that most Kiwis eschew Auckland as not the place to be in NZ and in fact many Aucklanders look to escape the rat race for the quieter simpler life elsewhere in NZ. We get 'em here in the Nelson/Tasman region. It is a good enough place for you to get your family foot in the door if you can afford it. After that, then you think whether it is the place for you or whether you move on.

Best thing is back to practicalities for you.
Will you have enough $$$ to survive Auckland
Can you buy in a reasonable area there within an also reasonable commute to work.
or
Can you rent.

Bottom line here. It should be about the pull to try something new rather than the push from a place one does not wish or like to be in. If you think NZ and in particular Auckland is calling you & your partner and kids are up for it , then you go for it. From there you have further choices.

Old Jun 5th 2019, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

I tried to give you Karma for this post Bevs as it hits the nail on the head but apparently I have to spread myself around more first!
Old Jun 5th 2019, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Mex, generally I sympathise with you, but in all honesty there's been some positive posts in your thread. Simonsi said if you live in say Blockhouse Bay or somewhere out to the west you can be at work in Takapuna in half an hour. And Jarv offered his insights. It hasn't been all bad. But you're right about the quality of life surveys. No matter who's doing it, Auckland is pretty much top 10 in every one
Old Jun 5th 2019, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said in a previous post on here. I think the majority of British want want want.
If you read some of the posts you see what I mean.
Its like I said someone will be living in a cheap area up North for example live in a 2 or 3 bed semi ex council house. on just say normal salary 30k. They want to move to the most expensive area in NZ and live in the most expensive suburbs and wonder why they have money issues. On top of that they moan cause they need to work more hours to fund it. If you can't afford to live somewhere don't live there simple. I would love to live in regent street or Mayfair but it ain't going happen.
Its not rocket science if you can't afford to live somewhere don't live there.
Me and my wife prefer NZ. But we aint day dreamers. both of us knew we had come here to a new country work hard and enjoy our time off.I also think NZ is defo not for everyone. everything is done different out here its a totally different culture and way of life. If you come out here and wanna have English life in NZ you most likely never settle and end up back home. I think that's where most people have problems. People walk around Bare footed in Tesco out here doing there weekly shop
If you enjoy living in the Yorkshire dales love outdoor lifestyle and want milder weather you mostly like it out here. If you want shopping like the metro centre or think its going be like the States or a little England your going have problems and find it hard to settle.
OMFG it's 3 dollars for 2 litres milk it's 50p more expensive in NZ OMG. If you worry about that every day your going have problems.

Gangs are totally different here too. You never see Ganga and I haven't had any trouble or felt unsafe or threatened once. Forget young kids 18 year old hanging round shops in gangs of 30 people. As I said I live in South Auckland suppose be bad area. Never seen a gang hanging around once. If you dont get involved in any of it you wont get any trouble. Every town or city in NZ has gangs Its not young kids there 30 and 40 year old. belive it or not one of only times I have see a big gang of bikers was actually in Titirangi, bout 50 gang members on bikes come out RSA. must been doing something for charity or something.

Last edited by jarv5116; Jun 5th 2019 at 8:01 am.
Old Jun 5th 2019, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
People walk around Bare footed in Tesco out here doing there weekly shop
Gangs are totally different here too. You never see Ganga and I haven't had any trouble or felt unsafe or threatened once. Forget young kids 18 year old hanging round shops in gangs of 30 people. As I said I live in South Auckland suppose be bad area. Never seen a gang hanging around once. If you dont get involved in any of it you wont get any trouble. Every town or city in NZ has gangs Its not young kids there 30 and 40 year old. belive it or not one of only times I have see a big gang of bikers was actually in Titirangi, bout 50 gang members on bikes come out RSA. must been doing something for charity or something.
Oh I've seen many of those barefooted people here too and I get your point with the bikers. Saw a bunch of them on Monday, probably on the way back from BikeFest in Killarney. Very dangerous people and they listen to loud music too
Old Jun 5th 2019, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

(just an opinion from one of the anonymous people on the internet and it's not necessarily right) I'm coming around to the thought, because you seem to be hanging off every word spoken here, that the safe option might be your best bet Mex. We can't tell you whether you and your family should come. We can't tell you whether your life will be better in NZ. My philosophy is to try and live the happiest life possible. To do that I've had to make important decisions, part of which includes having pride in my city, the people and the community. If you don't have the pride, try and do something about it, although it's not always possible when families are involved, and it might not include emigrating. A bit deep I suppose.

So, the safest options are :
Stay in the UK or
Come to Auckland for a visit and get a feel for it.