Auckland area

Old May 31st 2019, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice
Default Re: Auckland area

Originally Posted by mexnick
That's quite a sobering thought....have been using google maps to plot journey times from different locations to my work place and never seemed to be greater than 45 mins, even from Titirangi which is where i had originally been looking. I've tried this at commute times as well, i know google can sometimes be a bit out but didn't know it would be that wrong. I use it here all the time for driving around and google has generally been very accurate. If google is that inaccurate then that makes looking for a place to stay even harder! Back to the drawing board I guess, will start looking at places closer in to the centre and see what i find although not too keen on being located in the middle of a big city but i guess it is what it is.
Hey - sounds like plans are coming along. Have you been doing these test travel times at peak NZ times? As previously pointed out south Auckland is generally less desirable and although there are some great parts there are some real rough parts there. Perhaps try areas (for a house) such as Mangere Bridge and Onehunga. Both are much nicer than they were years ago and I would say one of the best places to be close to south Auckland and not have to do the bridge every day. To be honest most the North Shore gets snarled up in the morning as people queue to get onto SH1 to go over the bridge - something I never fancied despite the nice beaches over there.
Old May 31st 2019, 12:51 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

I live in Blockhouse Bay and commute to Takapuna daily, as Im going the opposite way to the tidal flow over the bridge its no big deal. Southwestern motorway is a few minutes away too. If I were you Id look at Blockhouse Bay and East to the motorway, Hillsborough, Lynfield etc.

Auckland has quite a good motorway network but none of it is North of the bridge.
Old May 31st 2019, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

mexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nice

Originally Posted by simonsi
I live in Blockhouse Bay and commute to Takapuna daily, as Im going the opposite way to the tidal flow over the bridge its no big deal. Southwestern motorway is a few minutes away too. If I were you Id look at Blockhouse Bay and East to the motorway, Hillsborough, Lynfield etc.

Auckland has quite a good motorway network but none of it is North of the bridge.
Thanks for the response simonsi. Do you mind my asking what sort of time you head out and home and what the rough commute time is for you either way?
Old May 31st 2019, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

mexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nicemexnick is just really nice

Originally Posted by BtotheR
Hey - sounds like plans are coming along. Have you been doing these test travel times at peak NZ times? As previously pointed out south Auckland is generally less desirable and although there are some great parts there are some real rough parts there. Perhaps try areas (for a house) such as Mangere Bridge and Onehunga. Both are much nicer than they were years ago and I would say one of the best places to be close to south Auckland and not have to do the bridge every day. To be honest most the North Shore gets snarled up in the morning as people queue to get onto SH1 to go over the bridge - something I never fancied despite the nice beaches over there.
Yes, things seem to be speeding up and the whole process is looming large. There is so much to sort out, ideally it wouldn't be happening so quick, our plan had been to spend a year sorting it all out but my employer wants me there yesterday so we're on turbo drive! I find myself swaying between feeling totally up for it and then thinking it's all too much hassle and expense...i imagine others have had this same feeling when going this process?

I have been looking at the commute times at peak rush hour, you often see lots of red stretches on the route but the overall time never looks that bad. I suppose it depends on what you're used to, my current drive to work is just under an hour but it's fairly stress free as i start and finish early missing the worst of the traffic.

Thanks for the extra advice on areas to check out, will be glad when a decision is made either way so i can stop living on this computer!
Old May 31st 2019, 1:45 pm
Forum Regular

BtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really niceBtotheR is just really nice

Yes, things seem to be speeding up and the whole process is looming large. There is so much to sort out, ideally it wouldn't be happening so quick, our plan had been to spend a year sorting it all out but my employer wants me there yesterday so we're on turbo drive! I find myself swaying between feeling totally up for it and then thinking it's all too much hassle and expense...i imagine others have had this same feeling when going this process?

I have been looking at the commute times at peak rush hour, you often see lots of red stretches on the route but the overall time never looks that bad. I suppose it depends on what you're used to, my current drive to work is just under an hour but it's fairly stress free as i start and finish early missing the worst of the traffic.

Thanks for the extra advice on areas to check out, will be glad when a decision is made either way so i can stop living on this computer!
Nothing wrong with swaying a bit - its a big decision. After just coming back after 15 years there I guess I am a little on the negative side so I can completely understand that the mindset is different when you want a big change and you have a good job offer over there. One thing I will say is I hope its a great job as the thought of having to commute distance with the destination being Otahuhu wouldn't fill me with joy to be honest.

How bad can West Yorkshire be - my sisters in Skelmanthorpe - seems nice, have you considered somewhere else in the UK/Europe that would tick as many of the boxes you have. Just playing devils advocate but just think its good to work out your options closer to home without such a massive decision or ordeal. Or can you fly out for a visit out there? See Auckland in Autumn/ Winter - go visit some of your prospective colleagues homes etc.

As I say, devils advocate, could be the answer to your dreams out there.

Old May 31st 2019, 1:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with swaying a bit - its a big decision. After just coming back after 15 years there I guess I am a little on the negative side so I can completely understand that the mindset is different when you want a big change and you have a good job offer over there. One thing I will say is I hope its a great job as the thought of having to commute distance with the destination being Otahuhu wouldn't fill me with joy to be honest.

How bad can West Yorkshire be - my sisters in Skelmanthorpe - seems nice, have you considered somewhere else in the UK/Europe that would tick as many of the boxes you have. Just playing devils advocate but just think its good to work out your options closer to home without such a massive decision or ordeal. Or can you fly out for a visit out there? See Auckland in Autumn/ Winter - go visit some of your prospective colleagues homes etc.

That's it and no matter where you move to, it's important to really look at why you want to move. It's the same here in Ireland and I had a few colleagues who moved from Galway to Dublin for a so called better job. The better job just meant that they ended up with less money at the end of the month, commute was longer, smaller property and the benefits of the city couldn't be enjoyed, as they didn't have the money. Then they couldn't experience the many outdoor activities we have on our doorstep here and were stuck in the city. But we can just go to the city for the weekend, fill up the shopping bags and really enjoy the city without the money worries and daily stress. During the week you work anyway:-)

Last edited by Moses2013; May 31st 2019 at 2:01 pm.
Old May 31st 2019, 6:50 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the response simonsi. Do you mind my asking what sort of time you head out and home and what the rough commute time is for you either way?
I normally leave at 6:30am and am parked in Takapuna by 7, leaving at 4:30pm I’m home by about 5:10 - queuing to get onto the motorway causes that.

Pushing those times back an hour adds about 15mins each way. Hope that helps.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

I'm happy to keep a realistic head in all this, watching those 'wanted down under' programs, i feel, can paint too rosy a picture. If NZ were that amazing we'd all be flooding over there! I'm trying to weigh up the pro's and con's of going and staying. Very difficult when we have never been to NZ before and are simply going of friend's recommendations and the internet. We don't unfortunately have the funds to have a holiday there to get a flavour. I'm toying with the idea of maybe going out a month or two ahead of the rest of the family. If it seems like it's not the right place then at least we will have limited our financial loses.

Your comment about the job has really got me thinking too. It's within my current industry but the actual role is something I have never done before although I know plenty who have and they are generally positive about it. To use your expression though of it being a great job makes me unsure. The wages are about £7.5k more than i'm earning here, no huge increase plus I get the sense that the extra wages would be cancelled out by being in such an expensive part of the country. There is definitely more potential for future career development than i currently have here so it does tick some pro's there.

With regards to W.Yorkshire, I love it here, the people and countryside are great. Our main bug bear is the weather. We are in the middle of the peninnes where it seems to rain a lot! Grey skies and cold temperatures are taking it's toll on us. I know loads of people who have lived here for years and they continually moan about the depressing weather, many have left but a percentage have remained. I guess for some the weather isn't such a major consideration. We like to spend a lot of time outdoors and feel we are restricted for most of the year. We have talked about moving elsewhere in the country but down south where the weather is better the cost of property is ridiculous, plus everywhere seems to be mega busy, lots of people and cars wherever you go. NZ seems to offer a lot of the things we value, better climate, more layed back, an outdoors lifestyle and beautiful scenery, just a shame it's such a long way away...oh yeah, and no Brexit!

Another major consideration for us as a family is that our kids get a better quality of life. Moving to a new school in a foreign land will be tough for them, I know as i did that when i was 12. It was tough for me but ultimately it was an experience that i'll never forget and has proved useful in later life. I have read on here some comments regarding high levels of bullying at school. This is probably another thread that I'll get going but it has concerned me a little bit, both my daughters are approaching teen years soon and this is a difficult phase at the best of times.
Old Jun 1st 2019, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi

I normally leave at 6:30am and am parked in Takapuna by 7, leaving at 4:30pm I’m home by about 5:10 - queuing to get onto the motorway causes that.

Pushing those times back an hour adds about 15mins each way. Hope that helps.
That's great, ,many thanks
Old Jun 1st 2019, 9:34 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not been nosey.
What sort of wages/ salary will you and your wife be making out here?
I know wages up north England are a lot less than down south.
You need take into consideration moving to Auckland is like living in London money wise.
So the extra 7.5k may end up your still going end up alot worse off in NZ.
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I know people
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 3:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I know people who have left NZ for Devon / Cornwall.
​​​they say the weather's similar and housing is affordable
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Me personally. I have lived all over the UK for long periods of time. Including rom Plymouth to Aberdeen and alot places inbetween for long periods of time.
Iv been in NZ a year and think weather is far better in Auckland than the UK.
Alot more sunshine. More daylight. Temperature is alot warmer all year round and more consistant.
Its winter and still only wear a t-shirt to work outside all day.
Only problem I find is the Sun burns bad in the summer. Never felt sun as hot and burn like I do here. Need factor 50 on twice a day and still burn.
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 6:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jarv5116
Me personally. I have lived all over the UK for long periods of time. Including rom Plymouth to Aberdeen and alot places inbetween for long periods of time.
Iv been in NZ a year and think weather is far better in Auckland than the UK.
Alot more sunshine. More daylight. Temperature is alot warmer all year round and more consistant.
Its winter and still only wear a t-shirt to work outside all day.
Only problem I find is the Sun burns bad in the summer. Never felt sun as hot and burn like I do here. Need factor 50 on twice a day and still burn.
that’s good to hear about the weather. Another person posting on this thread is from keighley which close to me and they confirmed weather in AK is far better.

I have heard that the sun is fierce out there, apparently skin cancer rates in NZ are one of the highest in the world. I assumed this was down to the depleted ozone layer around that part of the world? Hopefully sun screen isn’t really expensive!
Old Jun 2nd 2019, 6:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
I lived in mid Devon for 5 years and my lasting memory is how much it rained and the high property prices versus low wages. Clearly experiences can vary person to person. My expectations moving from London to Devon was that the south west was a quaint sunny cheap place to live, I moved there just before the banking crisis hit and that certainly tainted my experience being there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.