Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland advice.... - moved to main forum

Auckland advice.... - moved to main forum

Old Aug 28th 2008, 12:04 pm
Just Joined

Zack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auckland advice.... - moved to main forum

circumstances have decided us to change our plans to move to australia and instead move to auckland (with an australian pr visa).
i have visited auckland twice on holiday and know a little of the areas but need help where to start researching to settle.
we have three boys 8 to 10 so school is important and two teen-agers 16 and 18 so public transport into the city would be good. my wife is a nurse so commuting distance will be important for her and she likes to be not too far from shops/amenities!
we will be able to spend max nz$650000 but will need a five bedroom house.

any advice on where to start would be great! cheers
Old Sep 10th 2008, 10:20 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Auckland advice....

I am moving this thread to the main NZ forum where it will be see by far more people. This post will also bump it up for you.

Have some karma whilst you're waiting.
Old Sep 11th 2008, 1:48 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland advice.... - moved to main forum

That much house for that money means you're not going to be in the most exclusive bit of town, especially if you want some garden. I would look at the North Shore area - all very suburban but some good schools (eg Rangitoto College, Westlake Boys/Girls and Takapuna Grammar) and plenty of parks, beaches and shopping areas. North Shore hospital is just north of Takapuna centre and is obviously a big employer of nurses. There are quite good bus services into the CBD from the North Shore, which have got quicker now the bus lane is finished. In the current market, your budget may stretch to somewhere quite close to the sea in the more northern bays eg Browns Bay, Torbay
Old Sep 12th 2008, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

Zack is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to you both and for the information... gives me a good idea where to start. Some garden would definitely be on the list. I calculated wrong and converted to Australian dollars instead of NZ so am thinking we can afford a bit more. North Shore seems to tick the boxes...
Many thanks, Zack.
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Yeah if working at North Shore Takapuna is a favourite of mine. Nice shops, bars and restaurants. Good bus link to the city. Here's what is in your budget
Old Sep 14th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Bugger didn't work!! Anyhoo it was nice. View trademe property. Also, if you wanted closer to the city there's Mt eden, epsom, remuera, mission bay, st heliers..handy for work at auckland city hospital.
Old Sep 19th 2008, 7:20 am
TIE
Forum Regular

TIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really niceTIE is just really nice

Hi Zack

Good luck with your move to Auckland.

As other have said 650K may not buy you the big house you need in the top areas but ther are lots of options, and the housing market is a bit slow right now, so you may be able to make offers if you are a 'cashed-up buyer'.

Some estate agents may try to sell you stuff high (that's their job after all!!) especially as a new arrival - however, I would take your time and make heavily discounted offers and if you can be patient you may be surprised at what you can pick up. Ther are definitely some 'motivated sellers' out there - to use the parlance!!!

However you need to find out where to look first.

Try the following website which has pointers to each of the suburb areas:

www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz

They alsio have a link to a map-based guide book for new migrants to Auckland whoch shows the good/bad areas, schools, transport, shopping areas, parks, kids entertainment etc.

Have a look

All the best with your move - moving with five children sound slike quite an adventure!!
Old Sep 19th 2008, 8:00 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

$650k won't buy you a Remuera or Devonport property but you'll get a very nice house for that money in a whole load of places especially on the North Shore. There's one I know of that's not on the market yet, 4 beds, internal garage, ensuite, huge storage, small but lovely garden and in the Browns Bay primary school catchment area (really good, smaller school) as well as Pinehill and Westlake Secondary - they'll put it on the market at $670k but will take $650. Last year they were looking at $740k.

So, when you're searching look at houses over the $700k as well.