Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Auckland Accommodation for first 2 weeks

Auckland Accommodation for first 2 weeks

Old Jun 1st 2011, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

IrishWolves is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Auckland Accommodation for first 2 weeks

I don’t arrive in Auckland until Feb 2012 but I am leaving the UK in Nov 2011. I just don’t know what to do when I first arrive. I have looked into hostels, hotels, room shares and renting from the off but still don’t know what to do. It’ll be me and my girlfriend. We do plan to stick around Auckland for the first 6 months or so.

I really just want to hear about other peoples experiences when they first arrived.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 1st 2011, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

brujarerdeb is a jewel in the roughbrujarerdeb is a jewel in the roughbrujarerdeb is a jewel in the roughbrujarerdeb is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Auckland Accommodation for first 2 weeks

check out a site called bookabach.com, or trademe.co.nz. hopefully that'll help?? Or do a google search of sites containing the word bach in it, its the kiwi slang name for holiday home and they are rented out alot. the time you are looking at arriving is one of the most expensive though, so beware of the prices and availability (or lack of!)
Old Jun 1st 2011, 10:09 pm
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

http://www.babs.com.au/lillington/index.htm - had our first 2 weeks here, the owners ferried us around looking for cars rentals etc , cant rate them highly enough
Old Jun 3rd 2011, 2:50 am
hanging in there

Hellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to allHellie73 is a name known to all

Hi we were lucky enough to stay with family over here. But you can do short term lease 3 months minimum at various locations within the CBD (Quest and Waldorf are two possibilities) we had a look at some as we where beginning to out stay our welcome and were having trouble finding the perfect rental, they vary widley in price (and for a northern lass a wee bit expensive) but are functional and probably would be fine if you dont have to stay at home all day. There are also plenty of motels but I am not sure about weekly rates. Happy hunting.
Old Jun 4th 2011, 7:03 am
Just Joined

anewstart is an unknown quantity at this point

As always depends on your budget. A self catering one bed serviced apartment (similar to hotel but with kitchen and wahsine machine so you can save money eating in etc) will cost you about $110 per night - 50-60 gbp a night.

If you wanted to stay in the North Shore area (20-30 mins from Auckland and full of pretty bat and seaside small towns) you could get a holiday house for about 40 GBP - if you look around.

If you want to enjoy the city life self catering serviced apartment might be your best option. All depends on your budget though!
Old Jun 4th 2011, 10:35 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

We stayed a couple of nights at Oaks on Hobson serviced apartments, pretty central to the CBD. Again it depends on your budget really.
Old Jun 13th 2011, 9:41 am
Just Joined

IrishWolves is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guys, I’ll have a look at the suggestions. Thankfully I’ve got plenty of time to have a look and make a decision.