British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/auckland-849847/)

callum1205 Jan 2nd 2015 2:43 pm

Auckland

Happy new year everyone.
Just wanting to know what it's like to live in or near Auckland.
Cost of living, things to do for kids.
Schooling for kids.
Where do most expats reside in Auckland.
Most reasonable suburbs where expats reside etc.
Opportunities for part time work for my wife once settled.
Are there a lot of soccer, football teams for my son to play for, he is 11.

Thanks Again

Parnell Jan 2nd 2015 6:51 pm

Re: Auckland

Originally Posted by callum1205 (Post 11519506)
Happy new year everyone.
Just wanting to know what it's like to live in or near Auckland.
Cost of living, things to do for kids.
Schooling for kids.
Where do most expats reside in Auckland.
Most reasonable suburbs where expats reside etc.
Opportunities for part time work for my wife once settled.
Are there a lot of soccer, football teams for my son to play for, he is 11.

Thanks Again

Hi Callum

Are you now in Kalgoorlie or Perth?

Plenty of jobs for Electricians. Contact agents to get better idea for yourself.
Cost of living is like everywhere - going up faster than wage inflation. But no worse than Australia
Schooling is higher standard than Australia (from my own experiences/observations).
South Eastern suburbs (Howick, Botany, Cockle Bay etc have a lot of English)
Northern Beaches also but not something I am to familiar with myself.

"What its like" is difficult to answer, without understanding parameters relevant to you and your family?

Definitely more time spent outdoors.

Justcol Jan 4th 2015 9:57 am

Been there, lived there for 2 years, hated it

look somewhere else and get far more for your money and avoid the absolutely awful traffic problems and massively overpriced housing.

Theres work all over the place in NZ and once you get away from anywhere near auckland the house prices are pretty much halved

bearskin Jan 4th 2015 5:10 pm

I find Auckland a great place to live.
We have two children who have thrived here on the North Shore. They have an active life - both do Surf Lifesaving at weekends and attend the local Scout group. Have found schooling to be OK - probably not to UK standards, but it is what it is.
Cost of property is obviously an issue, and I would avoid commuting if at all possible. There is a lot of choice of 'where' - it is a big place - basically a series of interlocked villages, with different feel to each region.

whitesand Jan 4th 2015 5:43 pm

I believe Auckland's getting worse. Spending Christmas and New Year here reinforces just how lacking the place is :goodpost:compared to Europe. The shops are diabolical and don't even try to make an effort for Christmas. The only newspaper seems to have given up and gone fishing. The range and quality in the shops is getting worse and the ones enjoying this place are those selling houses. The way of life here may have been acceptable in the 50's but not anymore.

Parnell Jan 4th 2015 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by whitesand (Post 11521630)
I believe Auckland's getting worse. Spending Christmas and New Year here reinforces just how lacking the place is :goodpost:compared to Europe. The shops are diabolical and don't even try to make an effort for Christmas. The only newspaper seems to have given up and gone fishing. The range and quality in the shops is getting worse and the ones enjoying this place are those selling houses. The way of life here may have been acceptable in the 50's but not anymore.

Just so much opportunity is my view