Auckland

Old May 12th 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future
Default Auckland

Looks close to me getting a job offer, and looks like working in Auckland.

An ideas of best place to live near auckland but not in there.

Looking for about 15-30 minute drive to Auckland and south of it.

Got 3 very young kids, want a nice quiet place with access to things for us as a family.

any ideas will be good

thanks
Old May 12th 2008, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Auckland

Originally Posted by markraynes
Looks close to me getting a job offer, and looks like working in Auckland.

An ideas of best place to live near auckland but not in there.

Looking for about 15-30 minute drive to Auckland and south of it.

Got 3 very young kids, want a nice quiet place with access to things for us as a family.

any ideas will be good

thanks
where in auckland will u be working
it can take more then an hour to drive from one area in auckland to another, so 15-30 mins drive from work is possibly still in auckland not outside it, depending on where you will be working

why specifically south of auckland?
Old May 12th 2008, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

If you get a 15 minute commute to work, I'll want to move there myself. Expect at least an hour into work if you live outside the CBD.

Most people on this board will tell you that the North Shore is the place to go, but I find it too built up.

I'm convinced that Auckland's traffic woes could be solved by the kiwis (or the general population that's on the road) learning to merge at speed and generally having road etiquette.
Old May 12th 2008, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

markraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant futuremarkraynes has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by newkiwi
where in auckland will u be working
it can take more then an hour to drive from one area in auckland to another, so 15-30 mins drive from work is possibly still in auckland not outside it, depending on where you will be working

why specifically south of auckland?
near the airport i think
Old May 12th 2008, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

If you're working near the airport you have plenty of area's south that are within 15-30mins drive.

You could look at far away as Glenbrook, Drury etc if you like the countryside type of lifestyle. We live in Whitford which is also countryside living and we're easily well within 30 mins of the airport.

If you're working south don't even consider the areas north of the city due to the pain of getting through the traffic.

Personally i just can't see the attraction some see in the North Shore.... to me its an awful place.... nice if you like being very close to your neighbours and having no garden etc.

Many years ago i'm sure it was lovely but that was before people were allowed to build two houses in their garden (subdivide) and these days it must have some of the highest density of housing i've seen.

Last edited by teambwr47; May 12th 2008 at 9:52 pm.
Old May 12th 2008, 9:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

near the airport i think
Have you thought about Clevedon,Whitford,Beachlands area..these are quite rural areas(more East Auckland)but certainly commutable to the Airport...We are in Howick,but Eatern Suburbs are all quite good with plenty of good Schools...OH works Auckland Central and his commute is about 30 mins(but not in rush hour)...A word of advice...stay well clear of South Auckland...I know people should make up there own mind about areas,but seriously avoid like the plague....Jacky
Old May 13th 2008, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

ok thanks for all that
Old May 13th 2008, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

ok thanks for all that
just looked on map and what about the east of coast to auckland, like kawakawa etc. there is lots of places around there.
how long would it take from there
Old May 13th 2008, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE
Personally i just can't see the attraction some see in the North Shore.... to me its an awful place.... nice if you like being very close to your neighbours and having no garden etc.

Many years ago i'm sure it was lovely but that was before people were allowed to build two houses in their garden (subdivide) and these days it must have some of the highest density of housing i've seen.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean we visited some people we met at our daughters who live in Mairangi Bay and I thought their address seemed funny. 110-6. We found 108 & 112 but 110 was down a very narrow pathway leading to 6 houses. I found this very strange. Of course I have not used the correct no's. The general area was nice though Brown's Bay Devonport etc. Devonport was very nice and handy for Auckland the ferry goes back & forth every 15 minutes.
Old May 14th 2008, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I think of subdivision as the lesser of two evils - two houses per section instead of Auckland twice its present size!
Old May 14th 2008, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

just looked on map and what about the east of coast to auckland, like kawakawa etc. there is lots of places around there.
I think Kawakawa is a bit far for a daily commute, but maybe someone else will disagree? The road heading that way is very winding.

When looking at the map, realize that a lot of the inlets and estuaries that drain into the Manukau harbor near the airport are choked with mangrove. You don't really get a sense you're near the sea as they block the view and access to the water.

It's true, you should probably best avoid most of the towns near the airport,
esp. Mangere, Mangere East, Papatoetoe, Otahuhu, Otara. There are some others, but it depends on your budget and taste. Have a look at Google Earth. It's worth the time to download and gives an excellent view of the lay of the land, housing density, open space, etc.
earth.google.com

Good luck!
Old May 14th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Weezer
I think Kawakawa is a bit far for a daily commute, but maybe someone else will disagree? The road heading that way is very winding.

When looking at the map, realize that a lot of the inlets and estuaries that drain into the Manukau harbor near the airport are choked with mangrove. You don't really get a sense you're near the sea as they block the view and access to the water.

It's true, you should probably best avoid most of the towns near the airport,
esp. Mangere, Mangere East, Papatoetoe, Otahuhu, Otara. There are some others, but it depends on your budget and taste. Have a look at Google Earth. It's worth the time to download and gives an excellent view of the lay of the land, housing density, open space, etc.
earth.google.com

Good luck!

Agree totally re: Kawakawa, way too far out to consider a commute unless you wish to spend best part and more of two hours a day commuting.

It really depends where you're working there are some nice areas out east, Howick, Cockle Bay, Bucklands Beach but even these wouldn't be a great commute to central Auckland in peak time.
Don't discount the southern areas, Pukekohe area looks quite nice. There's some decent places in the West which would be fine if you're working in airport area.
Really just check out trade me but you won't be able to make a decision to you're out here and try the commute.
Old May 14th 2008, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Kawakawa????? Thats over 200km away, would take a minimum 3 hours maybe 4 hours each way to commute to Auckland!!

Orewa is far enough north for a commute I should think!
Old May 14th 2008, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Browner_
Kawakawa????? Thats over 200km away, would take a minimum 3 hours maybe 4 hours each way to commute to Auckland!!

Orewa is far enough north for a commute I should think!
Err.....no its not he just missed the 'bay' bit.......

Kawakawa Bay is not to far from Clevedon and in terms of a job at the airport is more than commutable. I reckon depending on where in the bay you are, 30-40mins to the airport is possible. That area is very very nice indeed and theres some stunning houses out there.

A mate of mine lives in the Ness Valley and he used to work in Penrose and typically allowed 40 mins to get to work. While Kawakawa is about 10 minutes further out from his place, the airport is closer so the same time for travel should be about right.

Last edited by teambwr47; May 14th 2008 at 10:38 am.
Old May 14th 2008, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by teambwr47
Err.....no its not he just missed the 'bay' bit.......

Kawakawa Bay is not to far from Clevedon and in terms of a job at the airport is more than commutable. I reckon depending on where in the bay you are, 30-40mins to the airport is possible. That area is very very nice indeed and theres some stunning houses out there.

A mate of mine lives in the Ness Valley and he used to work in Penrose and typically allowed 40 mins to get to work. While Kawakawa is about 10 minutes further out from his place, the airport is closer so the same time for travel should be about right.
Argh, Kawakawa BAY !
Thats about as different as York and New York.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.