Reload this Page >

Attitudes in New Zealand

Attitudes in New Zealand

Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Buttercracks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Attitudes in New Zealand

Hi everyone.

I am a little concerned before moving to NZ about what people have told me (and also from occasionally meeting young new zealanders of around my age) and was hoping to get some feedback from UK/Australian/US expats about their experience with New Zealanders and what is really going on over there.

The main concern that I have is that I have heard that New Zealanders have a very great pride in NZ and will do anything to defend it. They can become very defensive in social situations about their country because of this (probably justifiable) pride.

I think that NZ is probably small in population and so there is a lot of competition between people and probably they are very proud of who they are to the extent of being defensive.

I have also seen New Zealanders at a party refuse to shake hands with an Australian and say "too many idiots in Australia" and because the Australian guy asked the New Zealander (who happened to be ethnic Indian) what languages he spoke. I saw the whole thing and the Australian was just interested and said that he had an Indian friend in NY who spoke many languages from the middle east because he had lived there as a boy.

The New Zealander No 1 (ethnic indian) seemed to take offense but then understood where the Aussie was coming from (he was inquistive and spoke some other language himself) but New Zealander No 2 seemed to be quite aggressive and wouldnt shake his hand when the Aussie asked his name and offered to shake hands. The young NZ gentleman (No 2) also said that he wouldnt be talking and preferred to "act" (as in being violent?) and just stood there in silence. They both seemed really defensive and said "We're kiwis and we're proud of it" and it wasn't comfortable for me. They also said that they "didn't like the US blah blah" Im sure that thats a lot of people - Im used to that. But not the other things. It was quite uncomfortable.

The NZ No 2 seemed well dressed and had spiked up hair on the back of his head, and they were both travelling around the world when I met them.

So I wonder what the attitudes of young NZ men (20-30s) is to foreigners from the UK/AUS/US and also especially outside the capital cities, if for example, there are foreigners of the same age talking to girls at the party etc (as I was with the Aussie). Social situations like these can tell us more about culture than I think than work can so I am interested in what your ideas are about it all.

Thanks.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Attitudes in New Zealand

Originally Posted by Buttercracks
Hi everyone.

I am a little concerned before moving to NZ about what people have told me (and also from occasionally meeting young new zealanders of around my age) and was hoping to get some feedback from UK/Australian/US expats about their experience with New Zealanders and what is really going on over there.

The main concern that I have is that I have heard that New Zealanders have a very great pride in NZ and will do anything to defend it. They can become very defensive in social situations about their country because of this (probably justifiable) pride.

I think that NZ is probably small in population and so there is a lot of competition between people and probably they are very proud of who they are to the extent of being defensive.

I have also seen New Zealanders at a party refuse to shake hands with an Australian and say "too many idiots in Australia" and because the Australian guy asked the New Zealander (who happened to be ethnic Indian) what languages he spoke. I saw the whole thing and the Australian was just interested and said that he had an Indian friend in NY who spoke many languages from the middle east because he had lived there as a boy.

The New Zealander No 1 (ethnic indian) seemed to take offense but then understood where the Aussie was coming from (he was inquistive and spoke some other language himself) but New Zealander No 2 seemed to be quite aggressive and wouldnt shake his hand when the Aussie asked his name and offered to shake hands. The young NZ gentleman (No 2) also said that he wouldnt be talking and preferred to "act" (as in being violent?) and just stood there in silence. They both seemed really defensive and said "We're kiwis and we're proud of it" and it wasn't comfortable for me. They also said that they "didn't like the US blah blah" Im sure that thats a lot of people - Im used to that. But not the other things. It was quite uncomfortable.

The NZ No 2 seemed well dressed and had spiked up hair on the back of his head, and they were both travelling around the world when I met them.

So I wonder what the attitudes of young NZ men (20-30s) is to foreigners from the UK/AUS/US and also especially outside the capital cities, if for example, there are foreigners of the same age talking to girls at the party etc (as I was with the Aussie). Social situations like these can tell us more about culture than I think than work can so I am interested in what your ideas are about it all.

Thanks.
I wouldn't worry about this as it is probably an isolated case. I spoke to my mate in Auckland about a similar concern and he said they often look down their noses at Aussies, but I'm sure the Aussies will say the same about Kiwi's.

He says his experience of Kiwis in relation to him being a Brit is always positive, as most (many?) have ethnic roots to the North of Europe.

In some ways it's nice to see patriotism, although never to extremes, as it shows a passion and pride in their country.

Maybe something the UK has let go? I've been to countless St Patrick parties but never to a St Georges party!

I've also met Aussies and Kiwis on my travels both overseas and in the UK and apart from the obvious sporting banter, we've always got on well.

How any times have you heard the Welsh/Scots/Irish/Brit banter which can get heated at times...

People are People, good and bad.

I'm going over in Feb for a recce prior to my possible imigration and I will also look for any negative reaction, but I hope people see me for what I am (or hope to be assessed as being!) a decent hard working bloke with a sense of humour.

Cheers

Dave
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:03 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

There are idiots in every place and of every nationality. Just because you saw one such idiot in action who happened to be a New Zealander does not mean that every kiwi is the same.
After all how many idiots have you met at random places around the world? I would like to tell you about the American tourist (wearing white trainers and cowboy hat) that I watched in Paris - he was being particularly obnoxious and offensive, but I do not think he was representative of all Americans
Old Sep 12th 2006, 9:25 pm
Open All Hours!

LeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond reputeLeedsGirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
There are idiots in every place and of every nationality. Just because you saw one such idiot in action who happened to be a New Zealander does not mean that every kiwi is the same.
After all how many idiots have you met at random places around the world? I would like to tell you about the American tourist (wearing white trainers and cowboy hat) that I watched in Paris - he was being particularly obnoxious and offensive, but I do not think he was representative of all Americans
I think that obnoxious yank was my boss
Old Sep 12th 2006, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Don't worry..........be happy!

Can’t say I have found any obnoxious Kiwis with the exception of one who tried to sell us a pool, but he was just a con-man.

Buttercracks, seems you have found the original NZ tosser………I’m sure there are many more but………don’t let it worry you!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 10:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Don't worry..........be happy!

Originally Posted by Nice Guy
Can’t say I have found any obnoxious Kiwis with the exception of one who tried to sell us a pool, but he was just a con-man.

Buttercracks, seems you have found the original NZ tosser………I’m sure there are many more but………don’t let it worry you!

Same here. I am thinking maybe it had something to do with booze? Just that you mentioned it was at a party. I have a friend, a brit living here, that is lovely when sober but a completely different guy after several beers.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 10:46 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Don't worry..........be happy!

Originally Posted by Jude J
Same here. I am thinking maybe it had something to do with booze? Just that you mentioned it was at a party. I have a friend, a brit living here, that is lovely when sober but a completely different guy after several beers.

Ooo,Ohh, Ewww, that's me. Nice as pie when sober - totally reasonable ... give me Love Juice (the alcoholic variety) Bitch From Hell! Devil takes over my tongue before I know it and oooops, there goes another friendship!! But I know I'm lovely really!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 11:40 pm
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Hi everyone.

Thanks.
Heya,

I don't think the Aussie/Kiwi thing isn't that bad, it's mostly a sporting rivalry but in general it's kinda like a friendly/joke rivalry. My partner is a kiwi and like many, has immediate family in Australia. They're continuously taking the p**s out of each other and crack up about it all the time

Nearly all the kiwis I work with did their OE in the UK and have friends from the UK in NZ so I wouldn't be too worried about it

Jen
Old Sep 13th 2006, 7:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

You should try being English in Scotland - outright hatred up here! Worse during sporting events but there the rest of the time at a lower level. Some call it banter, others call it racism, but none of it particularly friendly!
Old Sep 13th 2006, 8:57 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Buttercracks (great name by the way)
you seem to have found a bunch of tossers in your travels mate!
Try not to worry.
There is a banter here between kiwis and aussies.
When I lived in Oz, they said the kiwis are snobs.
Now I live in NZ, the kiwis say Aussie's a nice place - just too many aussies.
Having said that plenty move over there each week for a better life.
I think people are people and you should just try not to generalise.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 10:10 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Gidday mate,

Sorry to hear about your recent encounter. Being a Kiwi myself I am appalled at what you say. I don't doubt your experience is repeated but please dont tarnish us all by a few idiots.

In my travels throughout Asia, Europe and the Americas I have also come across a few fellow Kiwi's who travel with a chip on their shoulder. Lifes to short to worry about them.

Of course we will shout the virtues of our country (especially our ALL BLACKS). But we also are happy to pass on the limitations of a country small in economy and subsequently employment and cultural pursuits.

If you really are concerned PM me and hopefully I can give you some more confidence that the move will be worthwhile.

Cheers

Kiwi
Old Sep 14th 2006, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone.

Thanks.
pretty much agreeing with what everyone has said, Nzers are very proud of being kiwis, and there is a fair amount of banter between aussies and kiwis, but nothing to worry about. NZers generally are welcoming and accommodating to expats. I would say that one thing that does not sit well however is an attitude of "they did this or that better in the UK/US/wherever", or "im from overseas so i know how to do this better than you"

but it seems your encounter was with a general assh#le, no need to worry about it being the general way of things. Foreign accents can be quite an advantage when mingling with party people