Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Attention Deficit Disorder

Attention Deficit Disorder

Old Feb 18th 2010, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Attention Deficit Disorder

Just got back from Docs and I'm delighted to tell you all I'm not going mad or ready for the funny farm!
After numerous tests, I was diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D.

Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

Thank goodness there's a name for this disorder.
Somehow I feel better,even though I have it!!

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden.
As I turn on the hose in the driveway,
I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.

As I start toward the garage,
I notice mail on the porch table that
I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys on the table,
Put the junk mail in the waste basket under the table and notice that the basket is full. So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the rubbish first.
But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the rubbish anyway,I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my cheque book off the table,
and see that there is only one cheque left.
My extra cheques are in my desk in the study,
So I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Coke I'd been drinking.
I'm going to look for my cheques, But first I need to push the Coke aside, so that I don't accidentally knock it over..

The Coke is getting warm and I decide to put it in the fridge to keep it cold.
As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke, a vase of flowers on the counter
catches my eye--they need water.

I put the Coke on the counter and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.
I decide I better put them back on my desk, But first I'm going to water the flowers.
I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table.
I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I'll be looking for the remote, But I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.
I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back on the table, Get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:
The car isn't washed.
The bills aren't paid.
There is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter.
The flowers don't have enough water,
There is still only 1 cheque in my cheque book,
I can't find the remote,
I can't find my glasses, and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all darn day and I'm really tired.
I realize this is a serious problem and I'll try to get some help for it,
but first I'll check my e-mail...

Please don’t be annoyed if I’ve posted this before, because I don't remember what the heck I've posted recently.

But most importantly , all you youngsters on here, spare a thought for us wrinklies- we still have the same aspirations for a fullfilling, useful life- just takes a tad longer to collect our thoughts and put our ideas into action.
Hey- don't fret we'll get there! Just a bit slower that's all.

PS: Don't worry about developing it. It only afflicts those who have a high IQ and suffer an inability to 'rest' without a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Riesling, or Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot or -Hey put your own label on it!
Funny, I never have problems remembering wine, vintage [2007 very good] or source. Something to do with my high Imbibed Quota!
Old Feb 18th 2010, 9:53 am
watch this space.......!!

gags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura aboutgags has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Attention Deficit Disorder

OMG Is this a real diagonosis because I sure do feel alittle like this most times. I am exhausted at the end of the day, planned so much, want to achieve so much, but always feel I failed to do so. When my mother in law was alive (god rest her soul ) I always seemed to be compared to how much she had to cope with in 'the old days' and how little we all seem to do now with all this 'technology', made me feel very inadequate. I am EXHAUSTED at the end of the day, husband, 3 kids and a business to run. I want perfection in myself but I never seem to feel it. I feel I flit about all day being busy, from one thing to another.
Cheers to you and us all. Atleast we try.
Old Feb 19th 2010, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Lee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud ofLee Lee has much to be proud of

Excellent post jennifer45

I'm sure all the ladies reading it are thinking to themselves... I'M JUST LIKE THAT!!!

I'm one of them and what worries me most is I haven't hit 30 yet
Old Feb 20th 2010, 11:18 pm
Live from CHCH...

Matewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond reputeMatewx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Just got back from Docs and I'm delighted to tell you all I'm not going mad or ready for the funny farm!
After numerous tests, I was diagnosed with A.A.A.D.D.

Age Activated Attention Deficit Disorder.

Thank goodness there's a name for this disorder.
Somehow I feel better,even though I have it!!

This is how it manifests:

I decide to water my garden.
As I turn on the hose in the driveway,
I look over at my car and decide it needs washing.

As I start toward the garage,
I notice mail on the porch table that
I brought up from the mail box earlier.

I decide to go through the mail before I wash the car.

I lay my car keys on the table,
Put the junk mail in the waste basket under the table and notice that the basket is full. So, I decide to put the bills back on the table and take out the rubbish first.
But then I think, since I'm going to be near the mailbox when I take out the rubbish anyway,I may as well pay the bills first.

I take my cheque book off the table,
and see that there is only one cheque left.
My extra cheques are in my desk in the study,
So I go inside the house to my desk where I find the can of Coke I'd been drinking.
I'm going to look for my cheques, But first I need to push the Coke aside, so that I don't accidentally knock it over..

The Coke is getting warm and I decide to put it in the fridge to keep it cold.
As I head toward the kitchen with the Coke, a vase of flowers on the counter
catches my eye--they need water.

I put the Coke on the counter and discover my reading glasses that I've been searching for all morning.
I decide I better put them back on my desk, But first I'm going to water the flowers.
I set the glasses back down on the counter, fill a container with water and suddenly spot the TV remote. Someone left it on the kitchen table.
I realize that tonight when we go to watch TV, I'll be looking for the remote, But I won't remember that it's on the kitchen table, so I decide to put it back in the den where it belongs, but first I'll water the flowers.
I pour some water in the flowers, but quite a bit of it spills on the floor.

So, I set the remote back on the table, Get some towels and wipe up the spill.

Then, I head down the hall trying to remember what I was planning to do.

At the end of the day:
The car isn't washed.
The bills aren't paid.
There is a warm can of Coke sitting on the counter.
The flowers don't have enough water,
There is still only 1 cheque in my cheque book,
I can't find the remote,
I can't find my glasses, and I don't remember what I did with the car keys.

Then, when I try to figure out why nothing got done today, I'm really baffled because I know I was busy all darn day and I'm really tired.
I realize this is a serious problem and I'll try to get some help for it,
but first I'll check my e-mail...

Please don’t be annoyed if I’ve posted this before, because I don't remember what the heck I've posted recently.

But most importantly , all you youngsters on here, spare a thought for us wrinklies- we still have the same aspirations for a fullfilling, useful life- just takes a tad longer to collect our thoughts and put our ideas into action.
Hey- don't fret we'll get there! Just a bit slower that's all.

PS: Don't worry about developing it. It only afflicts those who have a high IQ and suffer an inability to 'rest' without a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Riesling, or Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot or -Hey put your own label on it!
Funny, I never have problems remembering wine, vintage [2007 very good] or source. Something to do with my high Imbibed Quota!
I have this too.... I think!