British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   asthmatic anyone? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/asthmatic-anyone-795975/)

MrsFychan May 4th 2013 12:02 am

asthmatic anyone?

not seen a GP over here as got enough pumps when we came over but now need to get a few. As I've not been seen by the GP for this what do they do, if anything?
Also being asthmatic meant I got free flu jab in the UK, is it the same over here?

clairesw May 4th 2013 2:12 am

Re: asthmatic anyone?

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10691168)
not seen a GP over here as got enough pumps when we came over but now need to get a few. As I've not been seen by the GP for this what do they do, if anything?
Also being asthmatic meant I got free flu jab in the UK, is it the same over here?

Hello,
You are entitled to a funded flu vaccine as an asthmatic, but as in the UK it's only funded for those on regular preventer inhalers. So if you take a daily steroid inhaler there should be no problem. Even privately we charge $28 so not too bad.

I'm in exactly the same position, stockpiled inhalers before I came and haven't registered with a GP yet!

janiejones May 5th 2013 1:47 am

I only had enough steroid inhalers for three months when we got here, so I registered then. It's different depending on the GP. My last GP wanted me to have six monthly check ups, my current GP doesn't believe in bringing healthy asthmatics into the surgery, so I only have to have them every two years with this one. I get a repeat prescription three months at a time. I pay a fee to the surgery for the repeat, ($18 in this surgery), then pay a one time fee to the pharmacy for the inhalers. If I'm just getting my orange ones, I pay $5, and nothing the following two months. If I'm getting ventolins as well, I pay $10, and nothing the following two months.

My surgery offers free flu jabs to vulnerable groups, but work offered it free to everyone, so I got it done in work, less hassle.

It's generally a good idea to register with a GP when you arrive, as you never know when you're going to need to see a doctor. Due to the way the subsidy system works (I don't totally understand it), you may not get the subsidised visit price straight away. When we switched between health boards, I had to pay the non resident price for my first appointment, until I got accepted by the DHB. That was because of me moving areas though, and may not be the same for everyone.

MrsFychan May 5th 2013 2:02 am

sorry my first post was a bit uninformative. I am already registered with a GP, did it as soon as we had the Blueys in the visa. Just haven't been to him about the asthma yet.

janiejones May 5th 2013 2:06 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10692366)
sorry my first post was a bit uninformative. I am already registered with a GP, did it as soon as we had the Blueys in the visa. Just haven't been to him about the asthma yet.

Heh, thought it was unusual for you not to be registered, seeing how long you've been here!

Yep, it all depends on their policy for how often they want to see you. I've been seeing the doctor for something else, so try and time my visits for when I need a new repeat, so that I'm not paying repeat fees on top of appointment fees.

MrsFychan May 6th 2013 10:29 am

well work have agreed to pay for flu and whooping cough jabs so that's all good. just need to work out if I can get my asthma pumps in the same consult so won't have to pay to be seen about that :D