Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Asians dominate NZ immigration

Asians dominate NZ immigration

Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:06 am
I like kittens.

downunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to beholddownunderpom is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Asians dominate NZ immigration

Originally Posted by benhila
Does that mean that you object to anyone who isn't born and bred Kiwi? You must have loads of friends.
Nah. He's just a troll. Check his posts. Every one is negative.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:17 am
Account Closed

shocked kiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
How are we doing that?
Just before there were a few comments saying report this post. But look, heres the thing - in a country of 4 million people where the lifestyle/cost of living was the best of the world as little as 10 years ago - you can't blame people for not liking things the way the are now. It does make you feel like you are being taken over when every business/farm/asset is being bought by foreigners and this land used to be owned by kiwis for kiwis and you knew how lucky and self sufficient you were here. That's what it is I reckon and no one wants big business and pollution and overcrowding like what most other countries have all in the name of 'progress".
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:20 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Melbourne is a good example of foreign investment keeping the place afloat.

Many, many buildings are owned by Chinese and have been for at least 20 years.

There are thousands of foreign students attending the universities. They are paying huge amounts for this privilege.

Without this money, there is not enough in the local economy to drive demand sufficiently.

Yes, demand will lead to inflation. But if inflation drops below 2% for long enough, the whole system comes apart.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
But look, heres the thing - in a country of 4 million people where the lifestyle/cost of living was the best of the world as little as 10 years ago.
a tad self delusional don't you think?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:22 am
gcr
Forum Regular

gcr is an unknown quantity at this point

Just before there were a few comments saying report this post. But look, heres the thing - in a country of 4 million people where the lifestyle/cost of living was the best of the world as little as 10 years ago - you can't blame people for not liking things the way the are now. It does make you feel like you are being taken over when every business/farm/asset is being bought by foreigners and this land used to be owned by kiwis for kiwis and you knew how lucky and self sufficient you were here. That's what it is I reckon and no one wants big business and pollution and overcrowding like what most other countries have all in the name of 'progress".
Reluctantly, I agree with this. And hypocritically, it is exactly why we moved here.

Unfortunately (for us) a lot of things changed between our EOI and arriving. Life in NZ is definitely tougher now (for many people) than it was even 5 years ago.

However, I think it would be wrong to suggest that immigration (whether it be Asian, European or from anywhere else) is the sole reason for this. But that's a topic for another thread.
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

But New Zealand, along with many "western style" economies can no longer support itself. Nor can Australia.
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Grayling
a tad self delusional don't you think?
Well whatever - do you work for the govt?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:23 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
But New Zealand, along with many "western style" economies can no longer support itself. Nor can Australia.
But why not? How has this happened though?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:28 am
221b Baker Street

But why not? How has this happened though?
Because our economic system, whatever we may think of it, is the one we have.

Rule one of economics. It relies on ever increasing demand. When that demand evaporates at a local level and / or is replaced by an external demand, foreign investment from developing economies, i.e. those with a new and increasing demand, will drive the system.

I'm not saying I like it and I for one like a bit of isolationism but those days are gone.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:36 am
Account Closed

Unhappy Re: Asians dominate NZ immigration

Originally Posted by Sherlock Holmes
Melbourne is a good example of foreign investment keeping the place afloat.

Many, many buildings are owned by Chinese and have been for at least 20 years.

There are thousands of foreign students attending the universities. They are paying huge amounts for this privilege.

Without this money, there is not enough in the local economy to drive demand sufficiently.

Yes, demand will lead to inflation. But if inflation drops below 2% for long enough, the whole system comes apart.
Lets go back to the old days when money was not the most important thing - it was about looking out for each other and doing the right thing - there was no rubbish, crime, school was free, jobs aplenty, free school pools, no kids living in poverty, cheap housing and food - who said that this system was not working and who said that this way of life could be changed?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 1:49 am
gcr
Forum Regular

gcr is an unknown quantity at this point

Lets go back to the old days when money was not the most important thing - it was about looking out for each other and doing the right thing - there was no rubbish, crime, school was free, jobs aplenty, free school pools, no kids living in poverty, cheap housing and food - who said that this system was not working and who said that this way of life could be changed?
The cynical conspiracy theorist in me says that in those days, people were to clever, could think for themselves, and couldn't be controlled like sheep. That's bad for governments.

People were happier and wanted less - that's bad for business.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 3:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Those days never really existed!

Last edited by Robbie2010; Apr 5th 2013 at 3:20 am.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Does that mean that you object to anyone who isn't born and bred Kiwi? You must have loads of friends.
I can't speak for Kiwi and although I don't share his/her views I do understand what they may be saying.

A huge influx of Hong Kong residents arrived overnight in the early 90's prior to it being handed over the China. That was the beginning of a large number of Asian immigrants coming to NZ.

In our part of Auckland we had bus loads of them viewing our sub division at the time and in no time we were the only non Asians in our street.

That changed the face of NZ a great deal and indeed changed the quality of what you could buy here and whenever there is change something is gained and something is lost.

I wonder if Kiwi has been living overseas and returned home to find a very different NZ and is finding that hard to grapple with.

By the way NZ was the land of milk and honey. It was also clean and green and I was lucky to have enjoyed it for much of my life. Britain joining the Common market changed that in the early 70's.

I personally don't see stating facts as being racist at all. There were valid reasons why anyone comes here. They meet the criteria and good on them Most imigrants contribute to NZ in more ways than the economy.

Just one more thing the British and Irish have been coming to NZ since 1840 and many Kiwi's share your heritage. Most of us we don't see you so much as imigrants as we do other ethnicities we may not be so familiar with or connected to.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

benhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of lightbenhila is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Bellasmum

By the way NZ was the land of milk and honey. It was also clean and green and I was lucky to have enjoyed it for much of my life. Britain joining the Common market changed that in the early 70's.
It's interesting how far back one is willing to look in order to justify Xenophobia; How about the Maori view of the changes brought about by the pakeha when they landed (uninvited) in the land of milk and honey.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting how far back one is willing to look in order to justify Xenophobia; How about the Maori view of the changes brought about by the pakeha when they landed (uninvited) in the land of milk and honey.
you just read a Maori view. A factual one at that darlin !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.