Reload this Page >

ASD/Aspergers & schools in Wellington

ASD/Aspergers & schools in Wellington

Old Feb 18th 2017, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

elfinka is an unknown quantity at this point
Question ASD/Aspergers & schools in Wellington

Hello,

I'm new to the forum, although have been reading it for some time... We are thinking of "going back" to NZ - after 25 years in London, my OH is originally from Wellington, and that's where we would like to settle eventually.

Our son has been diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's or High functioning autism in old money you would say... so we are very concerned about his eduction and what NZ schools have on offer... I have found only one thread on this topic on the forum (from 2008!) although someone has mentioned that it seems that many people here have Asperger children ?!

The comments in 2008 were not very positive, even worrying! I'm wondering if anyone has any experience in this area, are schools better prepared now, do people in NZ understand this condition, how children with ASD are treated at schools, what can we expect?

Our son is 7 years old, probably will be 8/9 when we finally move to Wellington, so will be in the final years of primary school. I have tried to read up but have found NO information regarding ASD or disabilities on any of the primary schools (state or private) in Wellington area! Is that possible, or am I missing something?

Currently, he is in a mainstream school, with no additional support but an amazing class teacher and he is doing very well. He is a very bright boy so has no problems with the school work, but more so with the social aspect of school life (anyone familiar with Aspergers knows what I mean...) But as the school is small and really lovely, he has been doing well... But it does come down to his teacher - this year he has a lovely and very supportive teacher, it wasn't so last year...

Are any of the primary schools in Wellington better equipped / trained in ASD? State: Kelburn, Crofton Downs, Thorndon, Wadestown (I read somewhere that this school doesn't even acknowledge gifted children ?!) What about the private boys school Wellesley College in Eastbourne?

Not sure what are the options for secondary schools - seems to be Wellington College, which is huge, but at least mentions Aspergers on their website ... does anyone have any practical experience with ASD at Wellington College?

I would be grateful for any information and advise on this subject!
xx
Old Feb 19th 2017, 4:58 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ASD/Aspergers & schools in Wellington

as you have found in the UK really does depend on the school, and really on the Prinipal as they are the ones that decide if they will spend any of their yearly budget on special needs and then decide how it is used within the school.
Old Feb 22nd 2017, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond reputeStuck in Auckland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: ASD/Aspergers & schools in Wellington

It really does depend as said above on the school and key is the Principal.

How have you progressed with early intervention?

My experience for my eldest daughter now 13 and at year 9 (first year high school).

From 2 to 3 knew something was not quite right but no one could place diagnose - Finally had her diagnosed as high functioning at 3.

The school we placed her in had no previous experience but were fully engaged and invited us with our professionals to plan what would be required (resourcing and training) so just felt this was the right school.

We spent a lot of money (sorry but early intervention is expensive)
: 30 hours per week dedicated teacher aide (not supported by govt funding as she did not have a lower enough IQ. So around 40 weeks x 30 hours x $25 per hour, for 2 years
: Fortnightly sessions with speech and behavior professionals (hour x $150 x 26, for 3 years
: Then the time off work to attend joint meetings which were either 7am to 8am before school or 3pm to 4pm after school

At the start of it she was rushing over and pushing kids to try and engage with them. Not being nasty just not knowing social etiquette.
At this point no one can tell unless she is really tired and the you need to know what traits your looking for rather than just an argumentative person.

My point for you would therefore be choose a supportive school but also look for key professionals and do pay for it in the early years, because it gets easier and prepares them for a good education at high school.

- Social skills massively important in first instance
- Academic comes once they are settled, so forget the comparison reports in first few years. Our girl went from F to A+ over 5 years. Like all kids you does well in some things and not so well in others. Crap eye hand coordination but we are working on it because she does enjoys playing with her friends. Maths never going to be an expert but plods along. Excels in reading and written English.
- Other parents - majority want to be supportive but need help on what to do. Others like all in life are just nob heads. We prepared an introduction letter/flyer so the other parents knew why the odd behavior.

Sorry appears I have been a bit long winded