British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Arriving in Christchurch super soon! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/arriving-christchurch-super-soon-882852/)

thisnaturaljourney Sep 5th 2016 12:46 am

Arriving in Christchurch super soon!

Hey!
Super excited, possibly slightly exhausted too! Arriving in Christchurch in a matter of days now!
So, briefly... We looked for work, husband got a job off in July, Meds & Visa's approved at the beginning of August & we arrive on 14th September!
We have 3 children ages 8,7 & 5, should make an interesting flight ;)
Really looking forward to this adventure, our visa's are for 3 years, we have kept our home in sunny Bournemouth (renting out) and we are just going to go with the flo :)
So! Any tips, places to visit, where to eat (we're vegan!!) good areas? We like the look of Sumner or Mount Pleasant?
Thanks xxx

Stormer999 Sep 5th 2016 1:19 am

Re: Arriving in Christchurch super soon!

Start at the Museum have a look around then into Hagley park to see all of the early spring colour coming out go into the hot house to see the pretty colours, coffee at the new restaurant then maybe a punt on the Avon river or just across the road from the museum catch a tram ride round the city getting off at the re-start mall then back on the tram to Regent street for an ice cream and taking in the old and paper cathedrals. Start off at the bus terminal and catch the purple bus to Sumner getting off for a tour of Ferrymead or maybe jump on the Gondola to look down on where you have moved to. Along to Sumner and Scarborough and coffee and cake looking down to the surfers. Take the kids to the biggest playground in the Southern Hemisphere Margret Mahy. Jump in a car and drive to Spencerville down past the park and walk along a vast empty beach....solitude.
Then there are more open walks than I have time to mention.... bring a little rain please..;)

Ah yes sun hats and sunglasses for all.....seriously.

chippy64 Sep 6th 2016 1:20 am

Willowbank for an easy to walk around, looking at animals (including kiwi) or Orana Park, bigger and more exotic animals (lions, tigers etc) and kiwi. Still walkable but a way bigger area.
Air force Museum at Wigram is cool, Inflatable World if it's wet.

Can't help for vegan restaurants/cafes as I'm not so wouldn't know if there are any good ones. Google and then check reviews on trip advisor etc?

LauraNotts Sep 6th 2016 6:52 am

Vegan wise - the Lotus Heart on St Asaph Street is amazing, C1 coffee shop do good vegan coffee and muffins, New World have awesome meat free sections and you might want to check out Piko Wholefoods on Kilmore Street :)

Welcome to Christchurch :)

thisnaturaljourney Sep 10th 2016 3:51 pm

Aww thanks so much guys, excellent information... Really looking forward to arriving now & will check these place out before hubby starts his job!
We're in Singapore now, enjoying some time together as a family after the mass pack up we did in the short time we had from start to finish!!
How's the weather at the moment? Warming up? ;)

Justcol Sep 10th 2016 4:49 pm

If you can, get a window seat for the flight into Chch, its stunning.

Good luck, hope its all you are expecting

Damson Sep 10th 2016 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by thisnaturaljourney (Post 12048541)
Aww thanks so much guys, excellent information... Really looking forward to arriving now & will check these place out before hubby starts his job!
We're in Singapore now, enjoying some time together as a family after the mass pack up we did in the short time we had from start to finish!!
How's the weather at the moment? Warming up? ;)

Have a great time in Singapore. If you can get across to Sentosa on the monorail do. The kids will love it.

thisnaturaljourney Sep 11th 2016 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Damson (Post 12048703)
Have a great time in Singapore. If you can get across to Sentosa on the monorail do. The kids will love it.

Yes! Heading there today :) My husband & I went there 9 years ago & loved it! I think the children will love it too :)
Thanks x

chc4me Sep 11th 2016 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 12043754)
Jump in a car and drive to Spencerville down past the park and walk along a vast empty beach....solitude..

Spencerville also has a great playground for kids and there is an orienteering course at Spencer park. The maps are $3 from the shop, great cheap activity with the kids to burn off some energy - info here.

Disc Golf (Frisbee golf), there is a permanent course at Jelly Park. Play for free, take your own disc. Jelly park is also a great place for a swim.See here for info.

Welcome to Christchurch!