Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Arriving with children and dogs and furniture...!

Arriving with children and dogs and furniture...!

Old Jan 25th 2013, 4:29 pm
Just Joined

dithering pom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Arriving with children and dogs and furniture...!

Hi everyone

Have been lurking on here for a while and reading lots of useful and informative stuff so thought it high time I asked a question or two.

We are teetering on the edge of making a decision to abandon the snow and head for Tauranga to a house with a north facing garden! 2,300 hours of sun compared to our 1,100 here in North Yorkshire.

We all know that there are a million things to sort out when planning a life changer like this but hopefully all surmountable. We have talked of moving over and either a) renting a property and looking to buy after a year or so...or b) renting a camper van and exploring more widely for a month or so then do the a) option.

Have looked at rental properties on NZ websites and not really come up with much. Lots for sale but most of the rental is pretty poor or holiday lets that are way too expensive. Does anyone know of a good rental agent in the Tauranga area? I should perhaps mention a couple of lovely problems we might have when renting...two Labradors that we will be bringing with us. From what I have read renting with dogs might be a big problem. Any advice?

Maybe living in a camper van for a year might be an option? ...then again.

At advice gladly recieved.

Rob
Old Jan 25th 2013, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default Re: Arriving with children and dogs and furniture...!

Originally Posted by dithering pom
Hi everyone

Have been lurking on here for a while and reading lots of useful and informative stuff so thought it high time I asked a question or two.

We are teetering on the edge of making a decision to abandon the snow and head for Tauranga to a house with a north facing garden! 2,300 hours of sun compared to our 1,100 here in North Yorkshire.

We all know that there are a million things to sort out when planning a life changer like this but hopefully all surmountable. We have talked of moving over and either a) renting a property and looking to buy after a year or so...or b) renting a camper van and exploring more widely for a month or so then do the a) option.

Have looked at rental properties on NZ websites and not really come up with much. Lots for sale but most of the rental is pretty poor or holiday lets that are way too expensive. Does anyone know of a good rental agent in the Tauranga area? I should perhaps mention a couple of lovely problems we might have when renting...two Labradors that we will be bringing with us. From what I have read renting with dogs might be a big problem. Any advice?

Maybe living in a camper van for a year might be an option? ...then again.

At advice gladly recieved.

Rob
theres a motel in tauranga that will take pets as well as your sleves you could stay for a couple of weeks,

cottage park thermal motel 07 544 0039
Old Jan 25th 2013, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

dithering pom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Arriving with children and dogs and furniture...!

Thanks for the suggestion but don't really fancy living in a motel for any length of time.

I suppose the main thrust of my question is whether anyone knows of a good source of rental properties that are not like cell block H!

We lived inAuckland in 2001/2 and after looking at endless dodgy spots rented a beauty on Northcote Point...but the exchange rate was 3.30 to the £. Happy days.