British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Arrived 3 weeks ago!!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/arrived-3-weeks-ago-526376/)

DTHarrop Apr 2nd 2008 8:19 pm

Arrived 3 weeks ago!!!!!!

I haven't place that many posts, but thought I would share our news!!

Husbands job offer arrived September 2006, applied for work to residency visa which arrive October, House sold December, arrived in Auckland March 6th, Brother in law picked us up, delivering us in Whangarei, where we were greeted by the most glorious sunny weather!!!!!

Since then................we have bought a car for me (as my OH car came with us - boys and their toys), Hubby has settled in to his job, after a fantastic Powhiri welcome. Children start school this coming monday. We have had an offer on a house we fell in love with accepted ($120,000 below original asking price)..................well what else can I add...................

Apart from missing friends and family, although it is early days, I am so glad we stuck to our guns and made the move..........(remind me of that when I have my down days!!!!)

Thanks for listening......................

Steve and Julie Apr 2nd 2008 8:32 pm

Re: Arrived 3 weeks ago!!!!!!

Hi

You will have your up and down days. We have been here 8 months now. For us mums, its the hardest, Husbands work, Kids go to school so they meet people easier and make friends. You will adjust though and watch this site. You will make new friends. What area have you moved to?

Ju

DTHarrop Apr 2nd 2008 8:39 pm

We are renting at the moment on the outskirts of Whangarei in Maungatapere, which is a good 20 minutes into town. Which is the reason we are pushing to move where we will be 5 minutes into the town centre and the childrens school.

Once we are settle into our permanent home, I would definitely will be trying to get a part time job, whilst the children are at school, as I made that mistake for a while in England. Without the social contact I am not the happiest bunny around!

lardyl Apr 2nd 2008 9:19 pm

:thumbsup:

you need to update your <location> ;)

DTHarrop Apr 2nd 2008 9:40 pm

Thanks Lardyl for your welcome and YES!!!!!..........I can now change my location, thought I would never be in the position to do so!:thumbsup:

simonmarkellis Apr 3rd 2008 2:04 am

Originally Posted by DTHarrop (Post 6149506)
I haven't place that many posts, but thought I would share our news!!

Husbands job offer arrived September 2006, applied for work to residency visa which arrive October, House sold December, arrived in Auckland March 6th, Brother in law picked us up, delivering us in Whangarei, where we were greeted by the most glorious sunny weather!!!!!

Since then................we have bought a car for me (as my OH car came with us - boys and their toys), Hubby has settled in to his job, after a fantastic Powhiri welcome. Children start school this coming monday. We have had an offer on a house we fell in love with accepted ($120,000 below original asking price)..................well what else can I add...................

Apart from missing friends and family, although it is early days, I am so glad we stuck to our guns and made the move..........(remind me of that when I have my down days!!!!)

Thanks for listening......................

Congratulations on the move, i hope all goes well for you all...

DTHarrop Apr 3rd 2008 2:08 am

ta very much for your welcome:)

Des and Sarah Apr 3rd 2008 3:39 am

Welcome.
We have been here for 4 months now.
Quite difficult start for me as I have had to start from scratch with work( My wife has the full time job).
Early days yet

DTHarrop Apr 3rd 2008 3:59 am

Thanks.....that what I am worried about, being early days, I hope I don't have a slump, once all the excitement wears off!

Des and Sarah Apr 3rd 2008 4:36 am

Yes, after the the initial euphoria has died down it is time to get sorted.
It still feels temporary in a rental property so we have taken the plunge and are buying.

DTHarrop Apr 3rd 2008 5:25 am

yes - us too......we have had our cheeky offer accepted, as it is a buyers market at the moment, so there are deals to be had, which you can calculate as best you can the recent fall in prices.
Also we plan to be in the house a very long time, we are not looking for a quick buy and sell to make money, and house prices always go up and down -in cycles - look at the UK!!:eek:

ratliffe Apr 3rd 2008 9:06 am

Originally Posted by DTHarrop (Post 6151205)
yes - us too......we have had our cheeky offer accepted, as it is a buyers market at the moment, so there are deals to be had, which you can calculate as best you can the recent fall in prices.
Also we plan to be in the house a very long time, we are not looking for a quick buy and sell to make money, and house prices always go up and down -in cycles - look at the UK!!:eek:

welcome to nz,,,,,,,,,, the most difficult thing for you to battle is the homesickness which you WILL get this once past it you can get on with it but beware it will come back from time to time just to get on your nerves, however i have been here in the bay of plenty for 6 years now and will be returning to the uk soon for a number of reasons but on saying that i do not regret coming here at all, i have many friends here and have experienced so much which i am proud of, :thumbsup:
all the best :thumbup:

BEVS Apr 5th 2008 5:28 am

Originally Posted by Des and Sarah (Post 6151059)
Welcome.
We have been here for 4 months now.
Quite difficult start for me as I have had to start from scratch with work( My wife has the full time job).
Early days yet

Hi there and welcome to this little NZ forum. Karma your way.

Des and Sarah Apr 5th 2008 5:55 am

Thanks for the welcome.

Work in my field is quite hard to find locally, I am going to have to spread the net a lot wider. I have got some part time stuff to jeep me of the streets though