British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Arranging House Rentals (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/arranging-house-rentals-738993/)

S_and_T Nov 15th 2011 11:33 am

Arranging House Rentals

Hello all, first time poster! We are currently going through the Residential Visa process, have enlisted a Visa agent and are presently attempting to get my wife Registered with the relevant Medical bodies in NZ. We were wondering how easy it is to arrange House rentals from the UK prior to arrival. I would assume you would need to provide Referees, etc, which could prove a bit difficult I would expect. We do not know anyone in NZ who could act as one.

Thanks in advance

concretepump Nov 15th 2011 11:52 am

Re: Arranging House Rentals

Originally Posted by S_and_T (Post 9733855)
Hello all, first time poster! We are currently going through the Residential Visa process, have enlisted a Visa agent and are presently attempting to get my wife Registered with the relevant Medical bodies in NZ. We were wondering how easy it is to arrange House rentals from the UK prior to arrival. I would assume you would need to provide Referees, etc, which could prove a bit difficult I would expect. We do not know anyone in NZ who could act as one.

Thanks in advance

hi we got a rental when we were in uk , did help they where poms and not long been there, we just could not move into until the second month of being there so could take all paper before if you type in rentals nz there are some you can get in touch with hope this helps

MrsFychan Nov 15th 2011 12:06 pm

we're finding it hard to find a rental for a few months they all seem to want tenants for a years lease.

We are looking on trademe.co.nz

Where you looking at renting and when?

Stormer999 Nov 15th 2011 2:44 pm

We will be looking for temporary accommodation either hotel or holiday let so we can physically go see for a longer rental....;)

lardyl Nov 15th 2011 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by S_and_T (Post 9733855)

Thanks in advance

quality of rentals is "variable" in some areas - to say the least.
I'd be cautious about sorting a rental before you know the area and can see the property for yourself, unless it's for a few weeks - and I doubt that you'd get such as short term rental unless you are paying over the odds, or are very lucky. The short term holiday let or serviced apartment or large motel room is the best bet for a couple of weeks, IMO.
Good Luck.

lardyl Nov 15th 2011 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 9734123)
We will be looking for temporary accommodation either hotel or holiday let so we can physically go see for a longer rental....;)

Where are you going to end up Stormer?
Our neighbours (rental) moved out on Sunday.......

Snap Shot Nov 16th 2011 12:12 am

We came to NZ in February this year. No references. No job. (Family visa) This move was not well starred ! Luckily my husband had an undated reference from when he was flatting in NZ. This was like 20 years ago ! My Dad also signed a reference as we had been living with him in the UK for 4 weeks prior to our departure. Making use of the fact that my last name is different since getting married. Yeah, not 100% kosher but needs must.

Looking for a rental property in Auckland was like pulling teeth, i.e. landlords and letting agents just not taking us seriously. I mean, we couldn't even arrange a viewing.

We then hightailed it to Christchurch 3 weeks later as was our original plan. Earthquake notwithstanding. The first letting agent I phoned was offering me the key to the property we wanted to view before she'd even seen us or asked for references etc. What a change from hard work, snooty Auckland.

We stayed in motels and D.I.Y. b&b's in the interim between rentals.

We went round to the letting agent, collected the key in exchange for a nominal key deposit, about $20 iirc (about £10). We didn't like the rental. Never mind, we had a look through their brochure, got another key. Went round, viewed it and said yes please.

Only then did the question of references come up. We handed in what we had. The letting agent just photocopied them and put them on our file. Result. No questions regarding employment either and didn't ask for proof of our financial position either. Nice to be trusted, nice to be taken seriously. We took out the lease for six months.

Three months later we relocated to Wanganui as my husband was offered a job there. We agreed as part of the Christchurch rental to have the carpets, windows and the oven professionally cleaned on our departure which we did.

Unfortunately, we couldn't break the lease early so we were liable for the remaining 3 months rent at $280 pw (£140 approx pw.) Fortunately it was re-let within 3 weeks of our departure. However, we now had at least one proper reference. This was useful for our letting agent in Wanganui, not least as they could phone our Christchurch letting agent. Not sure how diligent an NZ letting agent/landlord would be checking a UK reference.

Sometimes a reference can be a character reference. It could be from a boss or your bank.

Stormer999 Nov 16th 2011 6:55 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9735288)
Where are you going to end up Stormer?
Our neighbours (rental) moved out on Sunday.......

The way NZ Immigration London are moving (or not) may well be the governing factor. Finalizing wifey's job will depend on their time scale. Her line of work is limiting to one of the 4-5 main larger city locations.......;)

S_and_T Nov 16th 2011 8:52 am

Thanks folks for the replies. We're not sure where we are moving to yet. Whilst we are going down the Residential Visa route, we would like my wife to have a job offer first so that will be a determining factor in where we look for property.

How much do Holiday Rentals tend to cost as an average (I appreciate it depends ob location).

lardyl Nov 16th 2011 9:04 am

Originally Posted by S_and_T (Post 9735948)
Thanks folks for the replies. We're not sure where we are moving to yet. Whilst we are going down the Residential Visa route, we would like my wife to have a job offer first so that will be a determining factor in where we look for property.

How much do Holiday Rentals tend to cost as an average (I appreciate it depends ob location).

as I recall we paid $420 a week over 3 months for a batch in Stanmore Bay, Hibiscus Coast - furnished in 1975 style but with great views :)
that was 5 years ago in high season but it was not easy to get that place
used one reference from the Top10 manager where we had stayed for 3 weeks another from my former boss in the UK, by email.