British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Argh! The price of wallpaper. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/argh-price-wallpaper-845593/)

BEVS Oct 22nd 2014 5:05 am

Argh! The price of wallpaper.

I know paint is expensive but wasn't really prepared or had forgotten that wallpaper is a luxury item.

Where can I shop to get wallpaper at a reasonable price. & I don't mean $90 a flippin' roll.

I have this one, Graham and Brown, bookmarked.

Anymore out there please?

Justcol Oct 22nd 2014 5:11 am

Re: Argh! The price of wallpaper.

Any wallpaper designed by someone called Marcel is gonna cost you !!

Give me a couple of Sharpies and I'll come round and do some colouring in for you for half that price

MrsFychan Oct 22nd 2014 5:43 am

oh dear, sorry no idea really. I remember when we needed one wall done we were so shocked at the price that we waited until there was a sale on. maybe as Labour Weekend is coming up shops will have sales?

Jan n Neil Oct 22nd 2014 5:44 am

Wait untill you try and buy the carpet !!!!! Is it worth trying to get a box posted over ?

Neil

bearskin Oct 22nd 2014 5:55 am

You can get basic stuff in the Warehouse, or better in Guthrie Bowron, or there is always the online option these days. How much do you need, and for what, and how soon?

Stormer999 Oct 22nd 2014 6:17 am

Bunnings down here has started selling but yes it is still costly. Think along the lines of what we have resorted to in the UK. Lining paper big Resene rolls on to the walls, paint and then maybe rag roll, quite simple or paint in flat paint then in the same colour, but sheen, using a strip of wood in small roller widths (4"-6") roll down the sheen paint and it leaves contrasting flat/sheen texture it works very well....then maybe just one feature wall of expensive stuff...;)

barnsleymat Oct 22nd 2014 6:20 am

I got my mum to get us some from Wilkinsons in the UK, 6 quid a roll and about 7 quid a roll to send it.

chappie Oct 22nd 2014 6:29 am

Sneaky trick (I didn't tell you): Get 250 business cards printed through someone like Vistaprint (there are a few companies like that that will do it for $15-20). On the cards it should say that you are an interior designer.

Take the cards to wherever you want to buy paint/paper/paste and say you've started recently in business and have a client that requires X number of rolls of paper + paste and can you open a cash account (i.e. one with trade prices but you pay on the day). You'll need to look like a pro with your measurements, and know the terminology.

If they want trade references say you don't have any because you just started. They might want a GST number - give them your IRD number.

Voila, now you get trade prices. I saved several hundred dollars on paint this way through renovating 3 houses, and Resene got my business. I think the saving was 40% (it was a while ago).

Not all places will give a trade account, and some won't give you much discount until you've bought from them for a while or you're doing quite a lot of business.

MrsFychan Oct 22nd 2014 6:50 am

just checked The Warehouse although not much choice $30 a roll

Snap Shot Oct 22nd 2014 6:53 am

We spent thirty bucks per roll on wall paper in the sale at Guthrie Bowron. I wasn't that fussy (just as well).

Which explains why the majority of the bedrooms and the hall & stairs are pretty much the same wallpaper ;)

BEVS Oct 22nd 2014 7:51 am

Originally Posted by chappie (Post 11446013)
Sneaky trick (I didn't tell you): Get 250 business cards printed through someone like Vistaprint (there are a few companies like that that will do it for $15-20). On the cards it should say that you are an interior designer.

Take the cards to wherever you want to buy paint/paper/paste and say you've started recently in business and have a client that requires X number of rolls of paper + paste and can you open a cash account (i.e. one with trade prices but you pay on the day). You'll need to look like a pro with your measurements, and know the terminology.

If they want trade references say you don't have any because you just started. They might want a GST number - give them your IRD number.

Voila, now you get trade prices. I saved several hundred dollars on paint this way through renovating 3 houses, and Resene got my business. I think the saving was 40% (it was a while ago).

Not all places will give a trade account, and some won't give you much discount until you've bought from them for a while or you're doing quite a lot of business.

I feel I have to tell you that the local Guthrie Bowron went bigtime after a bona fide small business making curtains. They were exUK making quality curtains at a competitive price. A cottage industry if you like. That family were ruined & locals were OK with that , despite that family living here ,as they felt GuthrieBowron to be Kiwi home bred.

I think I will pass but it is an interesting thought and thank you for putting it forward.

BEVS Oct 22nd 2014 7:54 am

Originally Posted by Stormer999 (Post 11446006)
Bunnings down here has started selling but yes it is still costly. Think along the lines of what we have resorted to in the UK. Lining paper big Resene rolls on to the walls, paint and then maybe rag roll, quite simple or paint in flat paint then in the same colour, but sheen, using a strip of wood in small roller widths (4"-6") roll down the sheen paint and it leaves contrasting flat/sheen texture it works very well....then maybe just one feature wall of expensive stuff...;)

I did think of all that. Been there and done that back in the 80's and 90's . I just feel this particular house needs more definition. I am thinking that for revamping some furniture though. That old shabby chic thing.

I am wanting to highlight the odd wall but not at a daft price. I also want understated.

barnsleymat Oct 22nd 2014 8:08 am

Now I'm a University employee I get trade prices from Bunnings, so make sure you take someone that works for a university and you'll get big discounts.

SSky Oct 22nd 2014 6:37 pm

Arthurs Emporium on Trade me do cheap ready pasted wallpaper and it's reasonable posted Bevs

SSky Oct 22nd 2014 6:39 pm

It's about $10 a roll