Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Areas to rent in Whangarei

Areas to rent in Whangarei

Old May 25th 2008, 7:00 pm
Ewan

ewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really nice
Default Areas to rent in Whangarei

Hi there, our ITA has been lodged with nzis and we will hopefully be heading to Whangarei soon. Please could anyone give us some advice as to nice areas to rent. We dont have kids so schooling zones etc are not important. Weve been looking on trade me etc and have seen whats on offer, we just dont know which areas, if any, to avoid. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers, Ewan
Old May 25th 2008, 11:10 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to rent in Whangarei

Area to avoid: Otangarei.

Actually to be honest there isn't much chance at all of you even looking in a house in Otangarei, but i thought I should throw it in there.

I hate the area with a passion. My grandmother lives there and ohmygoodness the people who were there thought my family was rich. Because our car had tyres. And was warranted. I could say that was being snobby but it is the only place I have ever been in NZ that I really really disliked. (well ok there are a few but this area i am familiar with).

Kamo is next to Otangarei. Actually not too bad an area but i did get the impression that some parts (because of its location) could be problematic.

I know there are a few people who live around Whangarei on this site who could help you more than I could though Good luck.
Old May 26th 2008, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ewanainsworth
Hi there, our ITA has been lodged with nzis and we will hopefully be heading to Whangarei soon. Please could anyone give us some advice as to nice areas to rent. We dont have kids so schooling zones etc are not important. Weve been looking on trade me etc and have seen whats on offer, we just dont know which areas, if any, to avoid. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers, Ewan
Hiya. Stay away from Otangarei. Whangarei is my home town. I would be looking at somewhere like Tikipunga, Maunu if you prefer to be close to town. There are nice areas just outside of town e.g Ruakaka or Marsden Point.

The last link is to houses to rent.

Good luck

http://www.whangareinz.com/

http://www.whangarei.co.nz/

http://www.wdc.govt.nz/

http://www.northernadvocate.co.nz/

http://www.realestate.co.nz/resident...garei-district

http://www.allrealestate.co.nz/cgi-b...at=&p=10&o=def

Have you thought about staying in a Motel for a while to look around and check areas yourself before signing up for a rental ?
Old May 26th 2008, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

rockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nicerockape is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Areas to rent in Whangarei

Hi,
You could try , which is a nice place to live as have been there 3 times and my mate lives there and the area is beautiful if you drive 5 minutes up the coast road. And there are some great areas of beach to relax on.
Also there is Morningside which is on the way to opposite the marina and about 5min walk to town centre.

I hope this helps you.

Regards

:th umbsup:
Old May 26th 2008, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ewanainsworth
Please could anyone give us some advice as to nice areas to rent.

There's a nice area in Whangarei now??????????
Old May 26th 2008, 8:33 pm
Ewan

ewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really niceewanainsworth is just really nice

Hi there, thanks for the info. We will be staying with my brother in ahuroa initially and just travelling up to have a look round every day or so until we get somewhere. We have until the end of august before my oh starts her new job in the hospital, so that will hopefully leave enough time to have a good look round. Thanks again
Old May 26th 2008, 10:17 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Browner_
There's a nice area in Whangarei now??????????
Yes! Oddly enough because of my nutty grandmother I never realised it until i went up there and didnt visit here (no i wasn't being evil and not visiting my grandmother...she was away working or something). I started to notice the lovely parts of the area!

Ruakaka is a nice area
Old May 28th 2008, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

ginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the rough

Hiya,

Definitely avoid Otangarei and certain parts of Kamo, Kensington and Tikipunga that border Otangarei are best avoided too. I've lived in Morningside, Kensington, Maunu and Riverside. I think Riverside would be my favourite affordable suburb because it's within walking distance of the centre and is up on a hill so have lovely views over the town basin. Depending on where you work and how far you want to travel there are amazing spots in Whangarei Heads and Waipu is also lovely picturesque sea-side village too. I'll be heading to Waipu in 5 weeks.

HTH
Gina.
Old May 28th 2008, 11:22 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Originally Posted by ginabridget
Hiya,

Definitely avoid Otangarei and certain parts of Kamo, Kensington and Tikipunga that border Otangarei are best avoided too. I've lived in Morningside, Kensington, Maunu and Riverside. I think Riverside would be my favourite affordable suburb because it's within walking distance of the centre and is up on a hill so have lovely views over the town basin. Depending on where you work and how far you want to travel there are amazing spots in Whangarei Heads and Waipu is also lovely picturesque sea-side village too. I'll be heading to Waipu in 5 weeks.

HTH
Gina.

I love Waipu! Used to go there on holiday as a teenager. Never entered the Miss Waipu Cove competition though...
Old May 30th 2008, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

ginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the roughginabridget is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I love Waipu! Used to go there on holiday as a teenager. Never entered the Miss Waipu Cove competition though...
I had completely forgoton about the Miss Waipu Cove competition, it used to be hilarious! I can't wait to see Waipu Cove again, I bet there's loads and loads of develop there, it can't have remained unspoilt all this time. All the same I can't wait to get my toes in the sand.
Old May 30th 2008, 8:20 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Waipu is still absolutely lovely, I was there a few weeks ago. There is definitely a lot of sub dividing and a lot of new building near SH1, but it is still great, beaches are still stunning, I hope you have a lovely time.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 9:35 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Waipu is still absolutely lovely, I was there a few weeks ago. There is definitely a lot of sub dividing and a lot of new building near SH1, but it is still great, beaches are still stunning, I hope you have a lovely time.
That's good to hear that it is still nice. Last time I went there the only place to get a good cell phone reception was at the top of the hill (Cell Phone Mountain) and on the beach. And there was no SKY TV - which was always the joke of the locals because the head of the NZRFU lived there and couldn't actually watch the games.

Oh, and that was 1996!