Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Areas to live in NZ - lots of questions!

Areas to live in NZ - lots of questions!

Old Dec 24th 2022, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live in NZ - lots of questions!

Also Littlegreycat, Christchurch is so easy to get around, and mostly flat. I roar with laughter when people complain about traffic jams here after living in Sydney 🤣
Old Dec 24th 2022, 4:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Mishclark
Also Littlegreycat, Christchurch is so easy to get around, and mostly flat. I roar with laughter when people complain about traffic jams here after living in Sydney 🤣
What is New Brighton like please?
Old Dec 24th 2022, 5:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
What is New Brighton like please?
I haven't been there a lot, my impression is it's a bit rundown and it's windy!
Old Dec 24th 2022, 10:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

We are in Christchurch at the moment looking around and planning to do the train trip to Greymouth as something we haven't done before.

Baffled (as usual) by areas and house prices.
We are in St.Albans at the moment and there are a lot of 1920s buildings which haven't been redeveloped or knocked down.
Prices seem affordable as well.
Again searching for the hidden flaw.

On the subject of families; daughter in NZ and son in UK (currently).
Both are highly mobile, and son was planning to live in Australia a few years back but was unable to get a job in his chosen field.
Now not as keen on Oz but still looking at being globally mobile, especially if the UK keeps getting worse.
We keep in touch via the Internet.
We love our daughter, but aren't thinking of moving because we can't live without her.
We have wanted to move to NZ since the late 1980s and having a daughter who is a NZ citizen has given us a final chance to move.
We don't need to live near her, just need her and her partner to sign the papers and keep earning good money!

Sad to say, this trip we haven't found anywhere with the "Wow" factor so far which would persuade us to move.
Many pleasant places, but everywhere seems to be very crowded on the housing front, and we like at least one open view.
Cambridge is on our visit list when we head back to NI.

Covid has, I think, made us feel more vulnerable and be more aware of the need for medical facilities within reach.
Thankfully we haven't had it so far (as far as we can tell) but the pandemic plus another 6 years of age and some health scares has removed our cheerful feeling of invulnerability.
Russell was our dream location but prices plus medical services are ruling that out now.

We are going to do the tourist bit for the next week or so, then head back up to NI and investigate there on our way back up to Auckland.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Old Dec 24th 2022, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Rereading the thread, if all had gone to plan we would be citizens now with two passports, and would be coming up to the time when we actively considered staying or moving back to the UK depending on politics and health care.
So our original plan is toast, and the NZ passport looks to be at least 5 years out so we might have to decide without even becoming NZ citizens.
Old Dec 25th 2022, 1:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
We are in Christchurch at the moment looking around and planning to do the train trip to Greymouth as something we haven't done before.

We are in St.Albans at the moment and there are a lot of 1920s buildings which haven't been redeveloped or knocked down.

Both are highly mobile, and son was planning to live in Australia a few years back but was unable to get a job in his chosen field.
Now not as keen on Oz but still looking at being globally mobile, especially if the UK keeps getting worse.
We love our daughter, but aren't thinking of moving because we can't live without her.
We have wanted to move to NZ since the late 1980s and having a daughter who is a NZ citizen has given us a final chance to move.
We don't need to live near her, just need her and her partner to sign the papers and keep earning good money!

Sad to say, this trip we haven't found anywhere with the "Wow" factor so far which would persuade us to move.
Many pleasant places, but everywhere seems to be very crowded on the housing front, and we like at least one open view.

Covid has, I think, made us feel more vulnerable and be more aware of the need for medical facilities within reach.
Thankfully we haven't had it so far (as far as we can tell) but the pandemic plus another 6 years of age and some health scares has removed our cheerful feeling of invulnerability.
Russell was our dream location but prices plus medical services are ruling that out now.

We are going to do the tourist bit for the next week or so, then head back up to NI and investigate there on our way back up to Auckland.

Glad you're having a look around, enjoy your holiday 😊
Old Dec 25th 2022, 5:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look a Te Awamutu while your doing Cambridge. Very similar but a touch more affordable
Old Dec 25th 2022, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the clarification. Obviously it's very difficult to find the balance now and in one way you need to be selfish and think of your dream first.
Old Dec 31st 2022, 2:32 am
`

Rereading .
Afternoon Mr LGC.

This isn't about places to live but In case you look in.

Whilst everyone is partying or even the next night in their beds sleeping whatever off, you may want to try and catch the Aurora as you are down Dunedin and then Stewart Island way.
I subscribe to the alerts and last night was stunning down in Stewart Island.

She can be seen more often than one thinks .

Old Dec 31st 2022, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that, and a Happy New Year.

Sadly it is cloudy in Dunedin, but we will try to remember to keep a look out further South.
We were in the Outer Hebrides last summer but we didn't get a combination of clear nights and open eyes.
We have always wanted to see an Aurora, A Australis would do us fine.
Old Jan 14th 2023, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Back after a while away.

Invercargill is surprisingly pleasant.
Quiet, wide streets, plenty of green spaces, and not subdivided to death.
Affordable too.
However it is the arse end of nowhere and flat pleasant suburbs are not exciting us at the moment.

Stewart Island is very nice, hints of Bay of Islands and Russel.
Also affordable, although the subdivision frenzy seems to be starting with a lot of small sections for sale.
We loved it, but noted that it is the arse end of the arse end of nowhere.
Also, we crossed there and back in flat calm.
The skipper of both ferries (coming and going) made the point that it was probably the best weather this century.
Message received and understood.

We are heading back up.
Cromwell and Geraldine were pleasant overnight stops, but nothing special.

We are in Hanmer Springs at the moment and loving it.
Plenty of character, a defined village centre, loads of things to do and see, lots of scenery and long distance views, lots of walking tracks.
It does seem to be mainly holiday homes unless the permanent inhabitants are all hiding.
No idea what out of season is like.
Snowy in winter but we have lived in snowy places before.
Also UK summer is NZ winter.
Affordable (in parts).
This does look like a possibility should we get as far as deciding to emigrate/immigrate.
A very strange area, though, with a mix of traditional Kiwi homes and some enormous new mansions on the flat bit.
It is very spread out.

Heading back up to Picton in small steps to catch the ferry on Thursday, then making our way up NI.
We will have a look at Cambridge on the way up.
Old Jan 14th 2023, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to move anywhere I would move to Geraldine. I really like it there. I've no idea why, but it just works for me.

I also quite like Hanmer Springs but I haven't been for a while, and it sounds like it's starting to grow. Which isn't a bad thing, as you have noticed, it could do with a few more permanent residents.

I know I recommend Cambridge, but brace yourself for high property prices when you get there, and a conversation with a friend who also used to live there until recently has told me the traffic in the town center is pretty bad now with next to no chance of finding parking spaces. Nearby Matamata and Te Awamutu are similar and I believe a little less busy.

Old Jan 14th 2023, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

If I had to move anywhere I would move to Geraldine. I really like it there. I've no idea why, but it just works for me.

I also quite like Hanmer Springs but I haven't been for a while, and it sounds like it's starting to grow. Which isn't a bad thing, as you have noticed, it could do with a few more permanent residents.

I know I recommend Cambridge, but brace yourself for high property prices when you get there, and a conversation with a friend who also used to live there until recently has told me the traffic in the town center is pretty bad now with next to no chance of finding parking spaces during peak times.
Nearby Matamata and Te Awamutu are similar and I believe a little less busy while retaining some of your requirements.
safe travels

Old Jan 16th 2023, 1:47 am
`

Geraldine has come up a few times with regard to moving there as a place to live. Our good ping pong pom pals enthused about the place before returning to the UK to be closer to adult offspring.

Not far from Xchurch. Striking distance of my beloved albatross colony. 30 mins from Caroline bay with its beach and penguins.

I've not stopped there at all but perhaps we should on our next trip down.

Old Jan 16th 2023, 7:10 am
Just Joined

mattm11tt is an unknown quantity at this point

As other members have said see what you think of Cambridge.

Cambridge is not dissimilar in size to Felixstowe. The drive time to Hamilton (population 165,000) is similar to that between Felixstowe and Ipswich (population 135,000)

To vouch for Justcol's suggestion of Matamata, my wife, kids and I moved from the West Midlands to Matamata (population 8700) five years ago. Love it here. For a town of that size it punches above its weight with cafes and bars with having the popular tourist attraction 'Hobbiton' down the road that attracts visitors from around the World and gives the town a buzz.
There are views of the nearby Kaimai mountain range. Rotorua (and surrounding lakes), Tauranga/Mount Maunganui (and beaches), Hamilton and Thames are all an hours drive away. Taupo, Coramandel and Auckland, and the West Coast e.g Raglan can all easily be reached for day trips. Best of all 800 hours per year more sunshine hours than Felixstowe. There is a good community feel in Matamata with an award winning medical Centre and small rural hospital. The Waikato Hospital in Hamilton is large and we've found it be excellent. As in Cambridge, Lake Karapiro is nearby. Matamata and Cambridge both have bus connections to Hamilton (albeit infrequent!). Matamata is a very slight detour if heading north on Highway1 - turn right after the end of Tirau high St - the town with the corrugated iron Sheep and Dog buildings!

Enjoy your travels north and the rest of your holiday and good luck with considerations.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.