Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Areas to live in NZ - lots of questions!

Areas to live in NZ - lots of questions!

Old Dec 20th 2022, 2:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas to live in NZ - lots of questions!

Originally Posted by jarv5116
do you have kids are they immigrating with you what sort of age are you and your partner?

I'm not trying to be Mr negative here. If you have 1.25 million dollars for a property.
Would it not make more sense saving the £700k looking somewhere closer to home that ticks all your boxes for 300-400k and save a hell of alot of time and money before diving in head first.

If you were in your 20-30s with nothing to lose looking for a adventure and something different i would say crack on. But with what your saying it seems a massive gamble and alot to lose.

All the problems you go on about are the same in NZ as the UK. Only you won't really notice them as your in holiday mode.
Healthcare and underfunded resources and the infrastructure in NZ is poor.

I found human rights and health and safety very poor in NZ aswell.
I'd totally agree here and why spend that much to still end up with something that doesn't tick all the boxes. That's just the way the world is going and it's no different in Ireland, the house that was 100K back then is now worth 300K. When we arrived there was no traffic, beaches were empty and the problems we noticed in England or Germany are slowly arriving here now. We still have family/friends in Jersey and they say it was a great island in the 70's/80's but now overcrowded and house prices are insane, so the kids have no options. That's globalisation and the health services you have today can change from one day to the next.
Think the other way around, would a person from NZ move to the other side of the globe to end up with less?
The aim all along has been to improve our quality of life.
Sunny open plan house with a nice garden and extended growing season
Access to sandy beaches and clear blue sea
Whole new country to explore

Brexit aside, most of this can be found very close to home.
Old Dec 20th 2022, 7:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Said it before and I'll say it again

Move to the country. Nothing beats Rural life
Old Dec 21st 2022, 3:04 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jarv5116
do you have kids are they immigrating with you what sort of age are you and your partner?
I'm not trying to be Mr negative here. If you have 1.25 million dollars for a property.
Originally Posted by Moses
I'd totally agree here and why spend that much to still end up with something that doesn't tick all the boxes.
Gah! You pair haven't read the OPs situation at all have you.

A Recap

Mr and Mrs LittleGreyCat are an older couple . They have an adult daughter & family on the NI of NZ .

The couple had already submitted their EOI under the Parent Residence Visa category when the category was declared frozen . Year 2016. There application remained in limbo for several years with the pandemic prolonging the closure. The category re-opened a few months ago so all those applications that have sat in the stagnant pool will now be assessed in order.

This couple are not looking to emigrate away from the UK in the hope of shrangri-la . They are looking to leave what they know and what they have after a lifetime, to be on the same side of the world as their daughter and her family. Along the way with & because of the upheaval of all that , they hope to improve certain aspects of their lives. Call that compensation/compromise. You give up some things to gain other things. Believe it or believe it not, the older you get the less fun two back to back long hauls are & one comes to realise that there may come a time when that ceases altogether so seeing loved ones becomes a one way very expensive affair.

This couple don't need to move elsewhere in the UK. They have already sorted out their home and lifestyle there they way they wish it. They are simply posting for info on how to make the most and best of NZ living if their application is successful.

BTW They are not in 'holiday ' mode. They are touring with a view to a suitable area to settle. Within that is a small element of holiday .

Old Dec 21st 2022, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Well said BEVS!

We have been visiting NZ since 1987, always with an eye to a move.

NZ today is not the country we grew to love.
You only have to read the posts from people heading to Australia to realise this.

Our EOI should be pulled in August and we want to have an idea if it is still worth continuing.

At the moment we are one mainly against, one still a bit for, so not looking hopeful.
Old Dec 21st 2022, 8:20 pm
`

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Well said BEVS!

We have been visiting NZ since 1987, always with an eye to a move.

NZ today is not the country we grew to love.
You only have to read the posts from people heading to Australia to realise this.

Our EOI should be pulled in August and we want to have an idea if it is still worth continuing.

At the moment we are one mainly against, one still a bit for, so not looking hopeful.
It's a tough one as time changes everything really. Not just a place but also a person & for you both it has been a whole long amount of time.
Old Dec 22nd 2022, 8:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Gah! You pair haven't read the OPs situation at all have you.

A Recap

Mr and Mrs LittleGreyCat are an older couple . They have an adult daughter & family on the NI of NZ .

The couple had already submitted their EOI under the Parent Residence Visa category when the category was declared frozen . Year 2016. There application remained in limbo for several years with the pandemic prolonging the closure. The category re-opened a few months ago so all those applications that have sat in the stagnant pool will now be assessed in order.

This couple are not looking to emigrate away from the UK in the hope of shrangri-la . They are looking to leave what they know and what they have after a lifetime, to be on the same side of the world as their daughter and her family. Along the way with & because of the upheaval of all that , they hope to improve certain aspects of their lives. Call that compensation/compromise. You give up some things to gain other things. Believe it or believe it not, the older you get the less fun two back to back long hauls are & one comes to realise that there may come a time when that ceases altogether so seeing loved ones becomes a one way very expensive affair.

This couple don't need to move elsewhere in the UK. They have already sorted out their home and lifestyle there they way they wish it. They are simply posting for info on how to make the most and best of NZ living if their application is successful.

BTW They are not in 'holiday ' mode. They are touring with a view to a suitable area to settle. Within that is a small element of holiday .
Thanks, obviously the life story was not in this thread and getting older myself it's hard to remember every detail from other threads. I suppose the question is if it really makes sense to move to a different island if the whole point was to see the daughter. I assume she is in Auckland? If that's the case the journey won't get easier either and you won't be driving 13 hours for a coffee, so it still involves flying.
Maybe the daughter would be willing to move and who's to say the daughter will always stay where she is (job loss, divorce etc.). We've seen this all happen before but fingers crossed and hope it all works out.
Old Dec 22nd 2022, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Thanks, obviously the life story was not in this thread and getting older myself it's hard to remember every detail from other threads. I suppose the question is if it really makes sense to move to a different island if the whole point was to see the daughter. I assume she is in Auckland? If that's the case the journey won't get easier either and you won't be driving 13 hours for a coffee, so it still involves flying.
Maybe the daughter would be willing to move and who's to say the daughter will always stay where she is (job loss, divorce etc.). We've seen this all happen before but fingers crossed and hope it all works out.
You're obviously not getting the point.
My children are both overseas and I miss them terribly.
The urge to move closer to them isn't with a desire to move in next door or live in their pockets. It is simply to be closer to them.
I would imagine the same can be said for LGC.
Old Dec 23rd 2022, 4:33 am
`

Two long haul back to back flights is not the same as one/two short internal flight hop or a bit of a road trip as and when. The shorter the distance the more doable a trip is , especially when it comes to $$$ and also health. However , there are other factors that comes with reaching a certain age and those also certainly need to be weighed up.

MrBEVS and I will be doing very similar if we can finally make it back for a UK visit , as we also need to take a care over how we approach the final phase of our lives. Like Mr &Mrs LGC our plans were scuppered with the arrival of the pandemic and in the ensuing few years things have changed . Not just globally but for ourselves. To echo Mr LGC , we also feel we have missed a boat - that small window of opportunity where you can and then find you cannot.- not really. I hope that explains it all a bit.

Anyway. Mr and Mrs LitteGreyCat read sensible enough . Older heads on older shoulders. They will figure it out .

JustCol mentioned Cambridge and I do think this might be a goer, however I don't know the place much and JustCol does. Stoke in the Nelson region might also fit. I am not at all sure about some areas of Xchurch but it is a wide enough area to offer a little bit of everything.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 23rd 2022 at 4:57 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2022, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Chocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond reputeChocolate eclair has a reputation beyond repute

I have Kiwi friends who live in Wellsford, her parents live in Westport and two brothers in Christchurch, one of which is quadriplegic. She also has a sister in each place. Both her parents are in poor health, last week her mother was helicoptered to Chch with 2 fractured vertebrae and her father was ambo'd to Greymouth hospital because he can't cope on his own.
They have found it increasingly expensive to get to and from each island. They suffered similar issues as myself in terms of seeing parents during covid, despite being in the same country. So yes being 2 long haul flights away is worse but being on separate islands from family is not without it's challenges either.
Lots has changed in NZ over the last few years and I personally don't think it's been for the better. As we get older the lack of good healthcare and the cost has certainly impacted us more than I would have believed. I expected to have these concerns about 10 years hence, but affordability and access to certain drugs and treatments are becoming more limited. That's of great concern to us.

Cambridge may be an area of interest to you. Not been that way in years but it used to be a perfectly pleasant part of the world. Good luck with your travels.
Old Dec 23rd 2022, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
The urge to move closer to them isn't with a desire to move in next door or live in their pockets. It is simply to be closer to them.
If one of my driving reasons for me moving to the other side of the world was to be closer to my kid.

I wouldn't be moving anywere near the south Island if my daughter was in Auckland but that's me.

the way it sounds to me is you want to move to Auckland North Shore area but is unaffordable now and making massive compromise in moving to anywere in NZ that is affordable on your budget.
Old Dec 23rd 2022, 8:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Of course I'm getting the point. I'm just saying that the older you get the less you will be able to travel and even a short flight will still mean the same planning as before. Yes the flight is shorter, it's a a bit cheaper but it doesn't change the fact that you will have to plan overnight stays and will probably only see them twice a year. That's why I agree with your point and maybe an area like Cambridge or further inland would make more sense (if they are in Auckland). If the main reason was the daughter I'd get the ugly shed and forget the boat, at least you are close to her.

Last edited by Moses2013; Dec 23rd 2022 at 8:11 am.
Old Dec 23rd 2022, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Apart from proximity to healthcare and wanting to live somewhere you can't afford what other criteria do you have.
you seem to have slipped past, or haven't mentioned so many places. Hamilton, Taupo, whanganui, palmy north. I know you can't see everywhere but they are nice places.
I was in Nelson a month or so ago and it reminded me of Auckland north shore, a place I grew to hate when I live there, so it was never going to be my cup of tea. I do have friends who live in Richmond which is just down the road and they love the place.
Christchurch is a place I like. It's easy to live on the outskirts as there's great access to the CBD. It's got city, rural or coastal living all in easy reach and it's great for a night out in the city center.
Dunedin is a strange place. (The hospital is shite by the way) the house's are stacked on top of each other, it's claustrophobic, half the houses are on shady sides of hills so don't get great sun. However the folk I know who live there think it's a great place, so maybe it's just me 🤔. Have a look at mosgiel while your in dunners. It's only 5 mins away but has a totally different feel. Lots a sub divisions with new houses. It is pricey, but everywhere is now, and despite the national trend 📉 prices are still on the up 📈.
I love being back in Christchurch, it was awful being locked out during covid, (although I did get to spend good time with my girls and a granddaughter was added to the mix!), I've been back for a while now and it still feels like home.

I'm on Oz for Xmas/new year and today I am hating the heat..
Old Dec 23rd 2022, 11:34 pm
`

Originally Posted by Mishclark
I love being back in Christchurch, it was awful being locked out during covid, (although I did get to spend good time with my girls and a granddaughter was added to the mix!), I've been back for a while now and it still feels like home.

I'm on Oz for Xmas/new year and today I am hating the heat..
Any tips on areas of Xchurch for LittleGreyCat ?
Old Dec 24th 2022, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Happy to help Littlegreycat 😊

They don't have school kids so not needing to worry about school zones.
There's just so much choice in my opinion ! We bought in Avonhead west of the city when we were first there in 2008, I'm biased, I do love that part of town and rent there at the moment.

Out near the port hills, Sumner beach is nice but not sure in prices. Nice walks and a new bike track. I used to like some of the east like Dallington and Avonside but they're so close to and on the river, when the quakes happened it ruined it.

​​If you like a bit rural you can go south at Rolleston, about a 25 minute drive to the city and a lot of newish homes, I'm not a fan, just reminds me of the sprawl if outer Sydney suburbs without much there.

West is Yaldhurst, west Melton, heading further out with townships like Darfield etc on the way to the skifields. Nice if you like quiet.

Up north is Kaiapoi, Rangiora, not to far to drive to town. I like Rangiora but after years of living in major cities like Sydney, Gold coast and central coast I hate driving far.

The central city has some nice places and everything is so walkable, I'm considering this when I eventually buy again, I'm on my own and on a different budget being a single income earner.

I'm happy to help with any questions. Merry Christmas to all on BE 😊
Old Dec 24th 2022, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BEVS
Any tips on areas of Xchurch for LittleGreyCat ?
Done, I'm happy to help. Merry Christmas to you and Mr Bevs 😊

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.