Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Which areas to live in Auckland that have a surfing/beach life community?

Which areas to live in Auckland that have a surfing/beach life community?

Old Mar 20th 2016, 8:19 am
Just Joined

cornwall2auckland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which areas to live in Auckland that have a surfing/beach life community?

Hello,
We grew up in a surfing/beach life community in Cornwall, UK. Can anyone recommend an area to live in Auckland that has that similar kind of vibe? Also, i'm an Artist & have heard that Devonport has an Arty vibe? To be recommended the kind of places that have these elements would be great. It would give us a helping hand in finding where we would be happiest setting up home.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which areas to live in Auckland that have a surfing/beach life community?

Piha on the west coast of Auckland, very well-known surfing beach, beautiful and a lot of artists live out that way. Also Karekare and Muriwai, both on the west coast too. They are quite far out from the centre though, 45-60 mins from CBD if anyone would be working in town. Very limited shops etc, think Piha and Muriwai have a cafe, dairy (corner shop) and takeaway each. Karekare no shops. Probably 30 minutes drive to a supermarket from any of them.

Devonport is much closer to the CBD, by ferry at least - 10 minutes on the ferry but much longer by road as it's one road in and out. Lovely beaches but not big surf. Very expensive property and more of a Cheltenham-on-sea/old-lady-tea-shop vibe than arty, I would say (I've never lived there though so could be wrong).

Google images for Piha etc, they are all lovely
Old Mar 20th 2016, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which areas to live in Auckland that have a surfing/beach life community?

Titirangi has a certain type of hippy / arty vibe and is close to the west coast surf beaches. I think you were given a bum steer regarding Devonport there is no surf to speak of over there or anywhere on the East coast bays except on exceptionally windy days then all the kite surfers come out to play.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 10:44 am
Just Joined

Thank you so much A Rush And A Push. I've heard Piha is good for surf/beach life but wasn't aware lots of Artists are out there too. That's a bonus for me. In fact I've just been looking at properties there online. Do you know if there's similar areas on the East coast too? Mairangi Bay, Murrays Bay, Browns Bay & Long Bay? As long as I can go SUP boarding i'm happy. Beach life is rather a must for me you see. Piha is leading at the moment for sure!
Old Mar 20th 2016, 10:47 am
Just Joined

That's just answered my question about the East coast beach life. I've not heard of Titirangi before. I'm going to google it now. Thank you so much Bo-Jangles!
Old Mar 20th 2016, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, Titirangi is half way between the west coast beaches like Piha and the CBD, about 25 minutes from each. Piha can be a little bit cut off, especially in a wild winter storm. Titirangi is much closer than Piha to stuff like doctors, dentists, cinemas, bigger range of shops etc. A lot of artistic-type folks around, has it's own art gallery, theatre, craft-y market etc. Some little (very calm) beaches nearby and some gorgeous houses surrounded by native trees (which can get bloody freezing in winter as so little sun gets through but at least they look picturesque)

North Shore has some beautiful beaches but none of them renowned for surf. In fact, they are the beaches I take my kids to when I want nice, calm, safe swimming beaches for them - I live near Titirangi so am quite close to Piha etc.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 8:38 pm
Forum Regular

Titirangi art gallery/theatre

http://www.teuru.org.nz/index.cfm/visit1/lopdell-precinct/

I've forgotten how to do clickable links on this site, sorry.

Also, yes you could do SUP boarding at the North Shore beaches but also on the Manukau Harbour (very flat water, Titirangi is next to it). I have seen people paddle boarding from Titirangi beach and the next bay along French Bay. I think there's a French Bay paddle boarding group on Facebook, have a search for "French Bay Paddlers"

Last edited by A Rush And A Push; Mar 20th 2016 at 8:44 pm.
Old Mar 20th 2016, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in devonport when I was in aux.
It a nice enough place, can be pricey but not if you take into account
the mere 10 commute to the CBD. Getting bout of the place Amy other way
is a real pain, as lake road is a very slow crawl both ways, even at weekends.

West coast beaches are Generally surf beaches but I think Orewa has some
decent breakers and I remember there was talk of creating an artificial bank to improve them.
I don't know if that ever happened as i moved away
Old Mar 21st 2016, 3:30 am
Just Joined

Hi Guys, thanks for your valuable input. My place of work will actually be in Albany so I won't have to commute to the CBD. My hours of work will be 7am - 3pm so i'm hoping i miss the worst of the rush hour as well. Due to the nature of the job i need to be within 30-40 minute drive of Albany. After some more investigation Devonport its going to be out of our price range and the commute from Piha is a bit to far. I think further north could be a better option. Warkworth is probably the cut off in terms of distance. Any recommendations between Albany and Warkworth? Thanks! Simon
Old Mar 21st 2016, 5:39 am
Forum Regular

Any of the bays on the coast east of Albany would be fine for beach life/paddle boarding etc. - Browns Bay, Mairangi Bay, Long Bay, Torbay, all the way up to Red Beach, Orewa and Hatfields Beach. None of them are especially arty afaik but they are all lovely beaches and nice suburbs. Whangaparoa Peninsula also nice but, like Devonport, suffers from only one road in and out.
It depends what your budget is, the further you are from Auckland CBD, generally the more house you will get for your money
Old Mar 21st 2016, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Muriwai is 35 mins to Albany, Bethells Beach is 40 mins to Albany.
You can SUP all along the coast around the "bays" from Long Bay down to Devonport but it is fairly calm.
Apart from the whangaparaoa peninsular / orewa there isn't much until you get to warkworth
Old Mar 21st 2016, 8:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Muriwai has Surf Club you could look at Waimauku / Kumeu way which would place you half way between work and the beach It's semi-rural and a bit hippy / hipsterish, with wineries and Hallertau Brewery / Pub and quite a reasonable and pleasant journey to Albany
Old Mar 24th 2016, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Orewa and out that direction towards Sheakspeare regional park is pretty beaut. Heaps of nice places along that coast so just explore a bit.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol

West coast beaches are Generally surf beaches but I think Orewa has some
decent breakers and I remember there was talk of creating an artificial bank to improve them.
I don't know if that ever happened as i moved away
Now don't be silly Col, this is Auckland! Of course it never happened
Old Mar 24th 2016, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by desmondo84
Orewa and out that direction towards Sheakspeare regional park is pretty beaut. Heaps of nice places along that coast so just explore a bit.
I love Shakespear Regional Park. Te Haruhi is a lovely beach area (though no good for surfing), loads of great walks, bird life has increased since a sanctuary was set up there and with Tiritiri Matangi just a short bird flight away (10 mins by ferry).

Orewa has the Estuary Arts Centre and Centrestage Theatre. Regular place for kayaking, SUP and kite surfing. Doesn't have the wilder seas of the west coast though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.