British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Areas to live in Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/areas-live-auckland-754079/)

Stephen Jones Apr 6th 2012 9:05 pm

Areas to live in Auckland

Could anyone give us some information on which areas are reasonably well-priced but also nice to live in within the Auckland region?

Steve

sirplug Apr 6th 2012 9:09 pm

Re: Areas to live in Auckland

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 9992711)
Could anyone give us some information on which areas are reasonably well-priced but also nice to live in within the Auckland region?

Steve

First, decide where you are going to work. Then we can advise. No good telling you about the North Shore, if you intend working in South Auckland. Auckland is huge and getting around it can be a nightmare in rush hour!

crap coffee Apr 6th 2012 11:58 pm

yeah, thats the main problem living in auckland isn't it. no one keep a job forever at the same area, tend to move around every now and then, but buying and selling a home every now and then - you just can't do that.

for one thing, central to South auckland is pretty far. you commute every day is impossible. (to me anyway).

auckland can be a nice place to live in but the traffic issue..... I don't know...

P18PPS Apr 7th 2012 12:47 am

depends on the above as mentioned, then whether you want a lively cafe culture, or quiet suburban, or by the waterfront, or a larger section of land etc etc ... try to be a bit more specific with your question then you'll get flooded with advice!

sparkytoad Apr 7th 2012 9:00 am

Me too. Head office will be located in mount wellington. Looking for child friendly area, primary school age, rentals to start with, 2 bedroom easy care in nice location with parking for 2 cars. Oh, and cheap as chips rents too...thanks.

P18PPS Apr 7th 2012 9:15 am

we are fairly close to mt wellington, look at Stonefields, it's a new development with a brand new school, the development itself is quite high end new homes, but you'll find that some of the nearby "st johns" areas are also in zone for the local school. otherwise there is "st Johns Park" which just scrapes into nearby remuera school zones - i.e. meadowbank primary, St Thomas' school and Remuera intermediate for older children. All these suburbs are zoned for Selwyn College which is an up and coming college too and a good option.

Otherwise there is also Ellerslie which is adjacent to the racecourse, don't know so much about the primary schools there - only that they are ok, this area is also zoned for Selwyn College.

I'd avoid Panmure, Point England, Glen Innes - only really because they are predominately Maori and pacific islander communities, and though not bad just you'll kids will be spot the white kid.

All things considered - St Johns is definitely a good option to start looking at rentals - cheap but with good amenities. check out trade me for rentals, and schools for their individual zoning (important to note as if you're out of zone it's extremely difficult to get into good schools of choice).

sparkytoad Apr 7th 2012 9:38 am

Thankyou, top advice, p18PPS

Stephen Jones Apr 11th 2012 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones (Post 9992711)

Steve

Thanks for all the responses and advice given.
Much appreciated

Stephen

julesnye Apr 11th 2012 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by peliqueria (Post 9993307)
Me too. Head office will be located in mount wellington. Looking for child friendly area, primary school age, rentals to start with, 2 bedroom easy care in nice location with parking for 2 cars. Oh, and cheap as chips rents too...thanks.

I'd throughly recommend these for rentals in and around St.John, Orakei, Remuera, Mt Wellington, Etc.etc.etc.

http://www.justrentals.co.nz/
:thumbsup:

P18PPS Apr 11th 2012 9:39 pm

be careful with Orakei - a weird place - one of the most affluent areas of Auckland, though it has a pocket of maori state housing and as such some of the school zoning will mean that you'll end up in a 90% maori attended school.

Ian and Gill Jun 6th 2012 7:37 am

I'm looking at a job in Penrose, South Auckland, and don't know where to start looking for housing!
No kids, decent salary, not afraid to commute (did it for years back in Yorkshire), prefer a quiet suburb or even out in the country?
Probably renting first, then looking to buy?
Anyone any ideas, please?
Cheers!!

Bo-Jangles Jun 6th 2012 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Ian and Gill (Post 10102955)
I'm looking at a job in Penrose, South Auckland, and don't know where to start looking for housing!
No kids, decent salary, not afraid to commute (did it for years back in Yorkshire), prefer a quiet suburb or even out in the country?
Cheers!!

The traffic around Penrose is a dog no matter what direction you're travelling and immediate surrounds are largely commercial / industrial. I would perhaps look at Onehunga or the further out south suburbs that are mentioned here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757589

chocolate cake Jun 6th 2012 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Ian and Gill (Post 10102955)
Cheers!!

I'd wait till you get here, then look around and decide. Personally working there I'd look out East or South.

Commute will almost certainly be worse than Yorkshire, back in South Yorks my commute time was about the same as now, 30-35 mins yet I lived at least 4 times as far away and pretty much out in the country. It would be difficult to manage that and work in most areas of Auckland.

tonz76 Jun 7th 2012 3:53 am

I would definitely recommend considering Howick, Bucklands Beach etc if you work east or south.

jmh Jun 9th 2012 2:37 am

Originally Posted by tonz76 (Post 10104910)
I would definitely recommend considering Howick, Bucklands Beach etc if you work east or south.

I'm inclined to agree. Many here don't consider looking east, but you can get some good property. There's new housing go up too if that's of interest.