British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   areas in Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/areas-auckland-333969/)

Paresh Oct 27th 2005 1:36 pm

areas in Auckland

Can anyone suggest some decent areas to me about where to live, work and play (sound like a Mars advert) but seriously need to start looking at areas that are withion a 30 mins commute (bus to strat off with) to Pitt street (CBD) in Auckland.........

What parnell like?

ginaf Oct 27th 2005 1:50 pm

Re: areas in Auckland

Originally Posted by Paresh
Can anyone suggest some decent areas to me about where to live, work and play (sound like a Mars advert) but seriously need to start looking at areas that are withion a 30 mins commute (bus to strat off with) to Pitt street (CBD) in Auckland.........

What parnell like?

Parnell is lovely but probably the most upmarket suburb in Auckland so very expensive, but it has good bars and restaurants. I prefer Ponsonby to Parnell, it is a little less "old school" and a little more "with it". I am not sure whether you are going on your own, as a couple or a family but if it is the first two we lived in the CBD and had a fantastic time there socially and it was a five minute stroll to work.

Paresh Oct 27th 2005 1:53 pm

going as a family. Me, my wife and a two year old. Its just i've seen a nice furnished apartment on the internet and thought it looked good for the money but was concerned about the area.

Cheers you've helped so much. How far is Parnell from the CBD.....can i walk or cycle?

ginaf Oct 27th 2005 2:04 pm

going as a family. Me, my wife and a two year old. Its just i've seen a nice furnished apartment on the internet and thought it looked good for the money but was concerned about the area.

Cheers you've helped so much. How far is Parnell from the CBD.....can i walk or cycle?

You can definitely cycle both to Ponsonby and Parnell. We were out there with a 2 year old and had a great time. Don't let me put you off Parnell, it really is very nice especially if you have a 2 year old, it was an area we looked at. I didn't realise you had a child so Parnell might be better. There are some lovely parks around there, it is nice and clean with Newmarket for shopping next door. My Sister in Law lives in Remuera (suburb next door) with an almost 2 year old and there appears to be a very vibrant social scene even for the toddlers!

uk+kiwi Oct 27th 2005 2:19 pm

What parnell like?

My Father-in-law used to live there. It is lovely. Gorgeous houses. It is a wealthy CBD commuter suburb. Remuera perhaps even more so. Ponsonby has a more arty edge.

But I agree with Gina though, the 'high street' if you can call it that is a bit too upmarket for me personally (ie posh ladies clothes shops as opposed to trendy shops like in Ponsonby). Having said that, you could do a lot lot worse than Parnell and hubbie bought my engagement ring from a lovely jewellers there that I would like to return to! :D

Another thing worth bearing in mind though is that if your goal is to buy property once settled, it would make more sense to 'settle' into an area that you would like to live in, and can afford to buy in if possible. As a mother for example, I would probably want to avoid changes in pre-schools/schools and making friends twice over if possible. Just thought I'd mention it. I know it's hard to find 'the ideal' place immediately from 12k miles away, although if you plan to buy a house say within 6 months but know that due to prices Parnell is out of the question, then what would be the point in renting there? Just my two pence worth as ultimately I would imagine your goal is to feel settled as a family asap and enjoy NZ. Carmen. :)

newkiwi Oct 28th 2005 12:05 am

What parnell like?

Parnall and ponsonby both nice.

also consider grey lynn, mt eden, kingsland (generally more affordable)

P18PPS Oct 28th 2005 9:21 am

Originally Posted by newkiwi
Parnall and ponsonby both nice.

also consider grey lynn, mt eden, kingsland (generally more affordable)

We landed 5 weeks ago with 2 young daughters, we've never been to Auckland before and are quickly getting to grips with the whole city. Just a word of caution on the area around Pitt Street (especially if you've never been before) we were in Beresford Street in some very nice apartments, however there was a 24 hour bar beneath the apartments that started lunchtime on a Thursday and stopped lunchtime Sunday - non-stop - ... absolutely brilliant for a young or childless couple, not so good with little ones!!! But no worries if your only there short-term! Pitt Street is really easy walk to the rest of the city. K road at the top of Pitt Street is full of bars and cafes - watch out for the beautiful ladies constantly "waiting for buses" as my daughter put it (prostitutes) - all day every day - but again, nothing to worry about, just different from the UK!!!!

Parnell is lovely, so is Newmarket, Ponsonby etc.... we have finally settled in the eastern bays - Kohimarama - and these although a bit further are easily accessible especially with a little pedal power all along Tamaki Drive which is the coastal road with gorgeous views across the bays to Rangitoto..... lovely!

Best of luck!