Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Areas around Ellerslie Auckland

Areas around Ellerslie Auckland

Old Sep 10th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of
Default Areas around Ellerslie Auckland

Hi,

Could anyone please tell me what its like to live in Ellerslie and also any other nice commutable areas around Ellerslie?

Many Thanks,
Kay

Last edited by KayC; Sep 10th 2010 at 10:18 am. Reason: re worded
Old Sep 11th 2010, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of
Default Re: Areas around Ellerslie

Can anyone help, I would just like to know if Ellerslie is a nice area to live, or if there are any nice areas that are commuatable to Ellerslie that you would recommend?

Thanks for any info you can offer
Old Sep 11th 2010, 9:14 pm
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all
Default Re: Areas around Ellerslie Auckland

www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz
Ellerslie is mainly older suburb close to southern motorway so lots of choice - assuming that's where you will work
Meadowbank, St Johns, Remuera(dearer), Newmarket, Glendowie, Greenlane, Epsom all 5-15 min drive - depending on traffic
Bay beaches also easy -Kohimarama (Kohi) , Mission Bay, St Heliers,
Ellerslie is also on train line south - buses to city but cross city, western suburbs, and North Shore not easy without car
Ellerlie is very central - nice little shopping centre - easy by car to Sylvia Park which is large mall
maps.google.co.nz allows you to put in address/suburb and destination with travel directions if needed
PS by older I meant houses - some lovely old villas I live in Meadowbank so am biased to eastern suburbs
PPS 20 mins to airport

Last edited by dorrick; Sep 11th 2010 at 9:20 pm. Reason: addition
Old Sep 12th 2010, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dorrick
www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz
Ellerslie is mainly older suburb close to southern motorway so lots of choice - assuming that's where you will work
Meadowbank, St Johns, Remuera(dearer), Newmarket, Glendowie, Greenlane, Epsom all 5-15 min drive - depending on traffic
Bay beaches also easy -Kohimarama (Kohi) , Mission Bay, St Heliers,
Ellerslie is also on train line south - buses to city but cross city, western suburbs, and North Shore not easy without car
Ellerlie is very central - nice little shopping centre - easy by car to Sylvia Park which is large mall
maps.google.co.nz allows you to put in address/suburb and destination with travel directions if needed
PS by older I meant houses - some lovely old villas I live in Meadowbank so am biased to eastern suburbs
PPS 20 mins to airport
Thank you for that Dorrick - I'll take a look at all those
Old Sep 12th 2010, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

Chippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really niceChippy Giles is just really nice

One Tree Hill is pretty close, Greenlane and Onehunga are all mostly OK (or they were 4 years ago)
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:24 am
Forum Regular

CindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the roughCindyGirl is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Areas around Ellerslie Auckland

How about looking at the eastern suburbs Bucklands beach ,Howick ,Dannemora ,Whitford ,Eastern beach .They are all within easy driving distance to Ellerslie .
Old Sep 13th 2010, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Giles and Cindy - I'll also take a look at those
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:39 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CindyGirl
How about looking at the eastern suburbs Bucklands beach ,Howick ,Dannemora ,Whitford ,Eastern beach .They are all within easy driving distance to Ellerslie .
The only negative I would say is that the freeway can be a nightmare if you are travelling at the same time as the masses, I would prefer missing the freeway altogether if you can or planning to go in the opposite direction to everyone else.

For instance I live in Mission Bay and work near St Lukes, I go by freeway and often I am the only person on the freeway at that time of day heading north, also I have no problem heading home on the freeway.

If you can rent initially and see what you can or cannot bear on the travelling front, that I would suggest is the best option. Most kiwis think a 20 minute journey is far, but having coming from London I think it is lovely. Just depends what you are used to.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Littlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really niceLittlemisssunshine is just really nice

We are currently renting in Ellerslie and are really liking it here. There was a Fairy Festival a couple of saturdays ago when they shut off the main street for a group of Fairy Entertainers. And, they will have a Christmas parade too. It has a proper villagey feel about it but is close by everything you might need.

ps My husband works in Ellerslie and we chose to live here first of all to enable us to settle in without a large commute - my husband walks 10 minutes to work
Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nero
The only negative I would say is that the freeway can be a nightmare if you are travelling at the same time as the masses, I would prefer missing the freeway altogether if you can or planning to go in the opposite direction to everyone else.

For instance I live in Mission Bay and work near St Lukes, I go by freeway and often I am the only person on the freeway at that time of day heading north, also I have no problem heading home on the freeway.

If you can rent initially and see what you can or cannot bear on the travelling front, that I would suggest is the best option. Most kiwis think a 20 minute journey is far, but having coming from London I think it is lovely. Just depends what you are used to.
Thanks Nero - thats great advice!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Littlemisssunshine
We are currently renting in Ellerslie and are really liking it here. There was a Fairy Festival a couple of saturdays ago when they shut off the main street for a group of Fairy Entertainers. And, they will have a Christmas parade too. It has a proper villagey feel about it but is close by everything you might need.

ps My husband works in Ellerslie and we chose to live here first of all to enable us to settle in without a large commute - my husband walks 10 minutes to work
Thanks Littlemisssunshine - sounds like a lovely place to live!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

neilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really nice

Also have a look at www.stonefields.co.nz Its only 5 mins away and the sub division is coming along well now

Neil
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

Originally Posted by neilw71
Also have a look at www.stonefields.co.nz Its only 5 mins away and the sub division is coming along well now

Neil

Nice houses and planned as a whole development - tree planting etc - new primary school opening next year - BUT very high density for Auckland and expensive

Last edited by dorrick; Sep 14th 2010 at 11:02 am. Reason: spelling
Old Sep 14th 2010, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

neilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really niceneilw71 is just really nice

I'm slightly biased as a resident there, but I'm not sure I agree about the density compared to a lot of Auckland's subdivided housing and I woud say you get what you pay for - most of the housing has been selling fast even in the current economy, so the market would say the houses are at market price - if not, they would not be selling.

Its all a personal view though and worth looking at for the OP

Neil
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by neilw71
I'm slightly biased as a resident there, but I'm not sure I agree about the density compared to a lot of Auckland's subdivided housing and I woud say you get what you pay for - most of the housing has been selling fast even in the current economy, so the market would say the houses are at market price - if not, they would not be selling.

Its all a personal view though and worth looking at for the OP

Neil
Sorry didn't mean to offend - they are good value, well built houses but there are no "cheaper end " houses in the sub-division - still think the density will be quite high when it is finished though, but as I said well-planned re trees etc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.