British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Areas around Ellerslie Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/areas-around-ellerslie-auckland-684800/)

KayC Sep 10th 2010 10:12 am

Areas around Ellerslie Auckland

Hi,

Could anyone please tell me what its like to live in Ellerslie and also any other nice commutable areas around Ellerslie?

Many Thanks,
Kay :)

KayC Sep 11th 2010 7:54 pm

Re: Areas around Ellerslie

Can anyone help, I would just like to know if Ellerslie is a nice area to live, or if there are any nice areas that are commuatable to Ellerslie that you would recommend?

Thanks for any info you can offer :)

dorrick Sep 11th 2010 9:14 pm

Re: Areas around Ellerslie Auckland

www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz
Ellerslie is mainly older suburb close to southern motorway so lots of choice - assuming that's where you will work
Meadowbank, St Johns, Remuera(dearer), Newmarket, Glendowie, Greenlane, Epsom all 5-15 min drive - depending on traffic
Bay beaches also easy -Kohimarama (Kohi) , Mission Bay, St Heliers,
Ellerslie is also on train line south - buses to city but cross city, western suburbs, and North Shore not easy without car
Ellerlie is very central - nice little shopping centre - easy by car to Sylvia Park which is large mall
maps.google.co.nz allows you to put in address/suburb and destination with travel directions if needed
PS by older I meant houses - some lovely old villas I live in Meadowbank so am biased to eastern suburbs :)
PPS 20 mins to airport

KayC Sep 12th 2010 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by dorrick (Post 8841696)
www.auckland-suburb-guide.co.nz
Ellerslie is mainly older suburb close to southern motorway so lots of choice - assuming that's where you will work
Meadowbank, St Johns, Remuera(dearer), Newmarket, Glendowie, Greenlane, Epsom all 5-15 min drive - depending on traffic
Bay beaches also easy -Kohimarama (Kohi) , Mission Bay, St Heliers,
Ellerslie is also on train line south - buses to city but cross city, western suburbs, and North Shore not easy without car
Ellerlie is very central - nice little shopping centre - easy by car to Sylvia Park which is large mall
maps.google.co.nz allows you to put in address/suburb and destination with travel directions if needed
PS by older I meant houses - some lovely old villas I live in Meadowbank so am biased to eastern suburbs :)
PPS 20 mins to airport

Thank you for that Dorrick - I'll take a look at all those :D

Chippy Giles Sep 12th 2010 10:10 pm

One Tree Hill is pretty close, Greenlane and Onehunga are all mostly OK (or they were 4 years ago)

CindyGirl Sep 13th 2010 6:24 am

How about looking at the eastern suburbs Bucklands beach ,Howick ,Dannemora ,Whitford ,Eastern beach .They are all within easy driving distance to Ellerslie .:)

KayC Sep 13th 2010 7:02 am

Thanks Giles and Cindy - I'll also take a look at those :D

nero Sep 13th 2010 8:39 am

Originally Posted by CindyGirl (Post 8844092)
How about looking at the eastern suburbs Bucklands beach ,Howick ,Dannemora ,Whitford ,Eastern beach .They are all within easy driving distance to Ellerslie .:)

The only negative I would say is that the freeway can be a nightmare if you are travelling at the same time as the masses, I would prefer missing the freeway altogether if you can or planning to go in the opposite direction to everyone else.

For instance I live in Mission Bay and work near St Lukes, I go by freeway and often I am the only person on the freeway at that time of day heading north, also I have no problem heading home on the freeway.

If you can rent initially and see what you can or cannot bear on the travelling front, that I would suggest is the best option. Most kiwis think a 20 minute journey is far, but having coming from London I think it is lovely. Just depends what you are used to.

Littlemisssunshine Sep 13th 2010 9:39 am

We are currently renting in Ellerslie and are really liking it here. There was a Fairy Festival a couple of saturdays ago when they shut off the main street for a group of Fairy Entertainers. And, they will have a Christmas parade too. It has a proper villagey feel about it but is close by everything you might need.

ps My husband works in Ellerslie and we chose to live here first of all to enable us to settle in without a large commute - my husband walks 10 minutes to work :)

KayC Sep 14th 2010 6:56 am

Originally Posted by nero (Post 8844255)
The only negative I would say is that the freeway can be a nightmare if you are travelling at the same time as the masses, I would prefer missing the freeway altogether if you can or planning to go in the opposite direction to everyone else.

For instance I live in Mission Bay and work near St Lukes, I go by freeway and often I am the only person on the freeway at that time of day heading north, also I have no problem heading home on the freeway.

If you can rent initially and see what you can or cannot bear on the travelling front, that I would suggest is the best option. Most kiwis think a 20 minute journey is far, but having coming from London I think it is lovely. Just depends what you are used to.

Thanks Nero - thats great advice! :D

KayC Sep 14th 2010 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Littlemisssunshine (Post 8844367)
We are currently renting in Ellerslie and are really liking it here. There was a Fairy Festival a couple of saturdays ago when they shut off the main street for a group of Fairy Entertainers. And, they will have a Christmas parade too. It has a proper villagey feel about it but is close by everything you might need.

ps My husband works in Ellerslie and we chose to live here first of all to enable us to settle in without a large commute - my husband walks 10 minutes to work :)

Thanks Littlemisssunshine - sounds like a lovely place to live! :D

neilw71 Sep 14th 2010 7:30 am

Also have a look at www.stonefields.co.nz :) Its only 5 mins away and the sub division is coming along well now

Neil

dorrick Sep 14th 2010 11:01 am

Originally Posted by neilw71 (Post 8846795)
Also have a look at www.stonefields.co.nz :) Its only 5 mins away and the sub division is coming along well now

Neil

Nice houses and planned as a whole development - tree planting etc - new primary school opening next year - BUT very high density for Auckland and expensive

neilw71 Sep 14th 2010 3:38 pm

I'm slightly biased as a resident there, but I'm not sure I agree about the density compared to a lot of Auckland's subdivided housing and I woud say you get what you pay for - most of the housing has been selling fast even in the current economy, so the market would say the houses are at market price - if not, they would not be selling.

Its all a personal view though and worth looking at for the OP :)

Neil

dorrick Sep 14th 2010 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by neilw71 (Post 8847691)
I'm slightly biased as a resident there, but I'm not sure I agree about the density compared to a lot of Auckland's subdivided housing and I woud say you get what you pay for - most of the housing has been selling fast even in the current economy, so the market would say the houses are at market price - if not, they would not be selling.

Its all a personal view though and worth looking at for the OP :)

Neil

Sorry didn't mean to offend - they are good value, well built houses but there are no "cheaper end " houses in the sub-division - still think the density will be quite high when it is finished though, but as I said well-planned re trees etc