British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   areas (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/areas-509114/)

alyj Jan 25th 2008 8:19 pm

areas

Can anyone give me advice on the nicest, safest, areas to live in North Island, we have 2 young children and I need to do some research as we have applied for residency, also does anyone know how long it takes, when your skill is on the shortage list??
Help
Alyj

happynz Jan 25th 2008 8:28 pm

Re: areas

Originally Posted by alyj (Post 5839472)
Can anyone give me advice on the nicest, safest, areas to live in North Island, we have 2 young children and I need to do some research as we have applied for residency, also does anyone know how long it takes, when your skill is on the shortage list??
Help
Alyj

You ain't kidding your research has just started. Just a few questions (in no particular order)...
How far along are you in the application process?
Have you submitted your Expression of Interest (EOI)?
How many points did you have?
Do you have a job offer yet?
Where is your work located?
How much money are you bringing?
Are you a renter or will you buy?
Have you really applied for residency or are you in the thinking about it stage?

Genesis Jan 25th 2008 8:31 pm

Help
Alyj

Look at Palmerston North. very well located..utterly brilliant for getting around..soooo close to loads of attractions, life for kids here is just unbelievable..i have 3 under 7's and they are so, so happy. Amazing parks, walks, pools, toddler groups no end superb schools and kindies, affordable housing, beautiful scenery, loads of people have a downer on Palmy but those are the people who have not lived here with kids or hail from really busy places like Wellington or Auckland, been here 3 years and couldn't imagine living elsewhere. Beach is only35 mins away too. It took us 6 months roughly from start to finish, have heard some do it in a matter of weeks, depends on job offers or if you are on the skills shortage, heard the other day that carpet and vynil layers are, but strangely cops aren't apparently..they are only short by 1100!!!:eek: Look at www.pncc.govt.nz for stuff about Palmy or Goggle 'destination manawatu' for more. Good luck!

crap coffee Jan 25th 2008 9:07 pm

Help
Alyj

Personally I prefer Hamilton to Palmerston North

Hamilton is very beautiful, safe(r) and picturesque... .

Welly is stormy:eek::rofl::eek::rofl: BUt great jobs available!:rofl::rofl::D

lardyl Jan 25th 2008 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by crap coffee (Post 5839648)
Personally I prefer Hamilton to Palmerston North ..:rofl::rofl::D

so does John Cleese! :rofl:

........I sincerely hope so anyway!

Yotty Jan 25th 2008 9:30 pm

Errr ....:unsure:

lardyl Jan 25th 2008 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Yotty (Post 5839725)
Errr ....:unsure:

here:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10440967

Palmerston North's heap of payback on Cleese
The Minister of Silly Walks now has an entirely new jurisdiction, thanks to the good people of Palmerston North, still faintly smarting after he dubbed their city the "suicide capital of New Zealand".

Yotty Jan 25th 2008 9:49 pm

:D typical kiwi humour!

Nice Guy Jan 25th 2008 10:30 pm

Murrays Bay for me matey!

Personally I liked the North Shore City - East Coast Bay - Murrays Bay area of Auckland....................but it does come at a cost!

crap coffee Jan 25th 2008 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5839673)
so does John Cleese! :rofl:

........I sincerely hope so anyway!

hello mate:rofl::rofl:

Hope things are going well with you

I didn't realize Orewa is so far away from Dairy Flat :eek:

:sneaky:btw I am packing for going home today:D :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

lardyl Jan 26th 2008 2:34 am

Hi CC

Dairy flat is bg becaue of all those lifestyle blocks.......:D
Orewa is another Bournemouth - Darby&Joan-by-the-Sea
Hence ever the Twain
Hope you had a relaxing break
We enjoyed our South Island trip
Now got to do some real work and earn some money before MrsL kills me!

Have a safe trip south.

Ian

P18PPS Jan 26th 2008 6:08 am

This is regular question that everyone answers, usually, with where they live (not always but usually before people have a go). Without knowing you it is virtually impossible for a stranger to answer as there are so many wonderful places to live. Every town/city has lovely parts and rubbish parts (as does everywhere in the world). What usually drives people to a place is work so unless you are lucky enough not to work start there. Then search this site again for the location and you will get a decent idea of what it is like.

Having said that I really, really like where I live so I am alright.

luvwelly Jan 26th 2008 8:08 am

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 5840854)
This is regular question that everyone answers, usually, with where they live (not always but usually before people have a go). .....

Having said that I really, really like where I live so I am alright.

I'd recommend Wellington itself or the wider region...because that's where I live...no seriously having seen lots of beautiful North Island now - most places apart from Auckland were just too small for me to want to live there, so I'm glad my OH's job was based in Wellington.
Hamilton was one of the bigger places (drove through it)...didn't touch Palmerston North but places like Napier were just so small and sleepy. Taupo was quite lively and bustly as was Rotorua but I'd still rather be in Wellington than either of those.

If you want safe, go to an area with the least economic deprivation = Wellington.

P18PPS Jan 26th 2008 8:44 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 5841042)
I'd recommend Wellington itself or the wider region...because that's where I live...

If you want safe, go to an area with the least economic deprivation = Wellington.

Here we go..... everyone act as the real estate agent for wherever they live....

Avoid Economic deprivation = you must go to Wellington - except the city centre with all the drunk vagrants, and the Hutt Valley, then the outskirts and surrounding areas such Porirua

And then there's the rain and the wind...

Auckland is the best, eastern bays - cafe culture with beautiful calm beaches, northern facing gentle slopes, boaties, zillions of islands around the Hauraki gulf.
Gooooo Jaffas!

luvwelly Jan 26th 2008 8:48 am

Originally Posted by P18PPS (Post 5841134)
Here we go..... everyone act as the real estate agent for wherever they live....

Avoid Economic deprivation = you must go to Wellington - except the city centre with all the drunk vagrants, and the Hutt Valley, then the outskirts and surrounding areas such Porirua

And then there's the rain and the wind...

Auckland is the best, eastern bays - cafe culture with beautiful calm beaches, northern facing gentle slopes, boaties, zillions of islands around the Hauraki gulf.
Gooooo Jaffas!

:rofl: I didn't actually knock Auckland - it's like a larger Wellington - I could live there too.