British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Which area of New zealand to move to..... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/area-new-zealand-move-670358/)

cdawson0 May 30th 2010 8:02 pm

Which area of New zealand to move to.....

Hi everyone,

First post on here and hoping for a bit of information. Hoping for info with regards to locations in New Zealand from people who have already made the move. Husband is an electrician and we want to go somewhere he is likely to find work so nowhere with a very low population, also we prefer not to be too rural or too isolated. Loved New Zealand when we last went (5 years ago). Our intial thought are Bay of Plenty, Hamilton or around Auckland. Also wanting somwhere which doesn't get too cold in winter so have ruled out the South Island and have heard Wellington is very windy so not sure if we should include Welly or not. Any thoughts or suggestions would be great, especially with benefits or disadvantages of areas. Aiming to be over by January 2010.

Margaret Parkinson May 30th 2010 10:57 pm

Re: Which area of New zealand to move to.....

We are only visitors to our family but we explored the North & South Island and from what you say the Bay of Plenty would suit you. Our family live in Papamoa Tauranga. I am sure Am Loolah will agree with me on this.

June

Robbie2010 May 30th 2010 11:26 pm

Looks like you've narrowed it down to Auckland, Tauranga or Hamilton?

Do you want to be near the coast? If yes then out goes Hamilton.

Then it's just a case of big city or small city.

At the end of the day it will probably come down to where you can get a job.

ex geordie May 30th 2010 11:54 pm

We live in Bay of Plenty in Papamoa been here 6 years and love the area and the feel of the place. Dont think you can beat it for good weather unless you go to Northland but then you get more remote. Tauranga is a good size and you have the lovely Mount only a short drive away . :) Hawkes Bay gets good weather maybe someone could let you know what its like living there?

Justcol May 31st 2010 4:48 am

I'm just outside Hamilton but i would say go to Tauranga

Am Loolah May 31st 2010 9:43 am

Originally Posted by colandros (Post 8600649)
I'm just outside Hamilton but i would say go to Tauranga

It's full!:p

There's lots of info available on Tauranga, both using the "Search Forum" thread and also in our BE Wiki under NZ City Guides.

It does have a great climate, on the whole, one of the sunniest cities in the NI. It also has amazing beaches, vibrant city, rural, sociable, pretty much covers all bases for us.:lol:

BUT, I have no idea regarding jobs. I think trades jobs as a whole are really still quite hard to get. New builds and new commercial developments are on the up recently which is encouraging.

You have to know though that Tauranga is one of the most expensive places for housing, renting or buying versus wages.:thumbdown:

jennifer45 May 31st 2010 10:43 am

Avoid Nelson Bays and surrounding areas.
really awful, weather, roads, housing,shops and the few beaches are terrible and packed to bursting with rubbish!!!
As for the people!
Huh! Words fail me!!
;):o
[SIZE="1"]A[ctually it's Nirvanna for us!/SIZE]
only downside is too many people are settling here!
:frown: