Which area ?

Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:14 am
Just Joined

its me is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Which area ?

Hi all,

I am wanting some advice on regards to areas in NZ to live. The reason for this is because of health matters. I currently live in France (I am English - ex-Yorkshire lass) but since I moved to France I have developed asthma. I am ok when I go to England and when we have been on holiday to Corfu and the Dominican Republic I have had no symptoms. This is because the climate/weather in Brittany is very damp. It is very suprising how many people are effected here with (extra) health matters, and once they move, the symptoms go as well!!!???
Can anybody tell me which areas in NZ would be better for me to live and what type of climate the areas have please, as this is a big starting point for us so we can carry on our plans from there.

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:31 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which area ?

You've pretty much ruled out the top part of the North Island - from Hamilton up. We live in Auckland and it's very, very humid here. I don't have a problem with it but my husband does (he's from Wellington which is much drier).
Old Oct 17th 2008, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Batty
You've pretty much ruled out the top part of the North Island - from Hamilton up. We live in Auckland and it's very, very humid here. I don't have a problem with it but my husband does (he's from Wellington which is much drier).
would have to agree with this,never had asthma or anything like this in my life,also there is no history of asthma in my family,but within 2 weeks of moving to Auckland i was on an inhaler,I only needed it for a about a month or so,thank god,but just adjusting to the humidity here was quite bad...the doctor told me it was the asthma capital of the world..

I have heard of a few people up here who have had the same experience...Jacky

Last edited by garryhg; Oct 17th 2008 at 7:49 am.
Old Oct 17th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

According to this, the prevalence of asthma appears to be similar across New Zealand metropolitan centres.
Also NZ is has the 2nd highest rate of asthma in the world behind the UK.

http://www.asthmanz.co.nz/in_new_zealand.php

I suffered with Hayfever for around 40 years in the UK, which actually got worse when we lived in the North Shore (Auckland) for our 1st year here (even in winter), but since we moved to Hawkes Bay I haven't been affected at all & we don't live on the coast either
Old Oct 18th 2008, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by its me
Hi all,

I am wanting some advice on regards to areas in NZ to live. The reason for this is because of health matters. I currently live in France (I am English - ex-Yorkshire lass) but since I moved to France I have developed asthma. I am ok when I go to England and when we have been on holiday to Corfu and the Dominican Republic I have had no symptoms. This is because the climate/weather in Brittany is very damp. It is very suprising how many people are effected here with (extra) health matters, and once they move, the symptoms go as well!!!???
Can anybody tell me which areas in NZ would be better for me to live and what type of climate the areas have please, as this is a big starting point for us so we can carry on our plans from there.

Thanks in advance.
I suspect that Hawkes Bay and Bay of Plenty would be best for you.

But bear in mind that, generally speaking, NZ wooden houses are incredibly cold, and often damp as well, in winter, compared to UK standards.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:21 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Browner_
I suspect that Hawkes Bay and Bay of Plenty would be best for you.

But bear in mind that, generally speaking, NZ wooden houses are incredibly cold, and often damp as well, in winter, compared to UK standards.
NZ has a bad rate of asthma I believe. Our son suffers from asthma and had been in the high dependency unit back in the UK before which was frightening and horrible to say the least.

When we came to NZ on a reccie we found Rotorua and the sulpher really cleared his chest? Weird but true!

Since living in the Bay of Plenty he (fingers crossed) has not suffered at all, been here 18 months. The weather here is WAY better than the South West of the UK that we left behind - plus possibly the sea air helps? I doubt he's just "grown out of it" as he's nearly 10. But we've no complaints. Oh, and our house is cold in Winter - but then maybe the 14 radiators we left behind were making it worse when he went outside?! We have heating here - but it's not as warm as we were used to ...

PS - there are very few original wooden houses here - the majority are brick with a tiled roof and heatpumps.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 11:16 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

On the subject of Hayfever I have had Blakemore's Garlic and Horseradish tablets recommended as a remedy for the pollen that blows up into Eastern Rodney......reduces the sinus and nasal drip problems that can result in chest infections, etc. We are trialing this with our resident hay fever sufferer....

Other brands are not so effective but the Blakemore's can also affect your digestive system if you are unlucky.

Good luck.

Also bear in mind where your home may be as areas of poor air movement and homes built at or above the level of other people's chimneys can spell wood burner smoke in your garden/deck/windows which will trigger all sorts of chest problems.....don't matter if your house is brick and tile or balsa wood that will get to you in the end.....