Apprentice Baker

Old Aug 9th 2012, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Apprentice Baker

Hi All,

Looked on NZIS an cant find any info so thought I would ask the BE experts!

There is a chance our son maybe offered a position in our local bakery and if so the owner is happy to train him up from scratch to be a baker.

He is on a 23 month WHV and currently working in retail, his 12 months employment is up in February 2013. He would ideally like to continue in this job but its not skilled so no work visa will be issued.

What we want to know is, if he begins training as a baker, what, if any, visa could he apply for?

Thanks in advance for any info.
xx
Old Aug 10th 2012, 2:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Apprentice Baker

Would he be paid?
Would the training be 'official'
i.e. work towards the National Certificate.

edit here to add......

Bakers are in shortage here in NZ . This may help any temp work permit application, especially if this local baker can prove that he has been unable to get any homegrown youngster interested in being apprenticed and that he needs to employ someone.

you hold a work visa and wish to complete formal study or training for more than three months*.
I feel you would possible need to not only show that your son would have a permanent position where he would do work + gain work experience but also confirmation of support from the official training provider.

When making the application it would be probably for a temp work permit with a variation of conditions.
If it were a student visa with a variation of conditions , then overseas student fees would come into play.
The overseas fees may well come into play anyway as he isn't an NZ resident.

Bakers Assn

Last edited by BEVS; Aug 10th 2012 at 2:33 am.