Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Applying for visitor visa while in NZ?

Applying for visitor visa while in NZ?

Old Sep 13th 2016, 2:37 am
Banned

andy1133 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Applying for visitor visa while in NZ?

Hi!

I have quite a specific question about visiting NZ. I have trawled the web and not found a definitive answer, so I am hoping someone on this forum might have experience.

I am going to be visiting NZ for six months and as a Brit will be entering with the Visa Waiver (6 months max).

I am aware I cannot extend the waiver, but would it be possible to then apply for a 3 month visitor visa while in NZ towards the end of the six months?

I understand you are generally allowed in NZ for 9 out of 18 months, but the visa waiver is 6 out of 12. So I am a little confused and wonder if it's easier just to apply for a straight 9 month Tourist visa? If I did go down this route, has anyone done this and or had issues? If it was refused (no reason why it wouldn't be) then could this affect any visa waiver entry?

I will be a genuine tourist and the extra three months would be for the Lions tour, so have a pretty genuine reason.

I would like to emigrate to NZ eventually, but that might be a little way away.

I've spent a lot of time in NZ in the past so hope to be able to contribute back to the forum.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 4:30 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for visitor visa while in NZ?

you can apply once in NZ http://kb.immigration.govt.nz/item/1112
Old Sep 13th 2016, 4:43 am
Banned

Thanks for the link. I did see that before but isn't that extending a visitor visa?

I won't be on a visitor visa as I will have entered on a visa waiver which cannot be extended. I'd be applying for a visitor visa rather than extending one.
Old Sep 13th 2016, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Call immigration as surprinsingly unlike other countries immigration departments in NZ are approachable, might be a short wait to answer but still https://www.immigration.govt.nz/contact/ this is the advice on the web page for waiver applicants who want to extend
Old Sep 13th 2016, 5:35 am
Banned

Yea thanks, probably better I contact them to double check.

You can apply for a visitor visa from within NZ, so as I am not going to fall foul of the 9 out of 18 months rule, I can't see it being an issue, but will check of course.