Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Applying for citizenship

Applying for citizenship

Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

mancaucks has a spectacular aura aboutmancaucks has a spectacular aura aboutmancaucks has a spectacular aura about
Default Applying for citizenship

Hey guys,

I have completed my 5 years in NZ now. Had a up and down time in auckland but glad i stuck it out.

Ive just started to fill my citizenship forms out and getting the ball rolling. Seems pretty standard procedure, but i was just wondering if anyone has any tips or has had any issues with the process?

Im 22 and i came into the country with my parents under a Permanent residence visa in Dec 2005.

One thing that daunts me is the meetings saying i want to be here for the foreseeable future! In all honestly im planning on going to aussie and back home, but i know id love the passport to come back as i please!

Cheers
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of
Default Re: Applying for citizenship

Hi,

Yep that tick box troubled me as well !! We were over to Oz pretty soon after the ceremony. I shouldn't worry too much as my passport lapsed and just got it renewed again for another 10 years,having been back in the UK since 2002 I wondered about my eligibility.
Hope to head back over to Auckland again once the life's fortune has been made.

Best of luck
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

mancaucks has a spectacular aura aboutmancaucks has a spectacular aura aboutmancaucks has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Droidling
Hi,

Yep that tick box troubled me as well !! We were over to Oz pretty soon after the ceremony. I shouldn't worry too much as my passport lapsed and just got it renewed again for another 10 years,having been back in the UK since 2002 I wondered about my eligibility.
Hope to head back over to Auckland again once the life's fortune has been made.

Best of luck
Oh fantastic! I've had a good time over here! Just think im ready to go and see the world!

Would be silly not to get it! Was it actually 4months for you guys?

Thanks!
Old Mar 6th 2011, 6:43 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

If you tell them you are planning to leave (or they find out another way) they will probably refuse your citizenship application.

You can only think about leaving after you have become a citizen. Not before.
Old Mar 9th 2011, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

kooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to allkooch is a name known to all

dont woory about a thing, no they wont refuse you for anything, they are more than happy for you to become a part of the kiwi family, i got my citizenship and moved back to uk the following week i will be back soon, its a proud day and very special, good luck
Old Mar 9th 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mancaucks
Hey guys,

I have completed my 5 years in NZ now. Had a up and down time in auckland but glad i stuck it out.

Ive just started to fill my citizenship forms out and getting the ball rolling. Seems pretty standard procedure, but i was just wondering if anyone has any tips or has had any issues with the process?

Im 22 and i came into the country with my parents under a Permanent residence visa in Dec 2005.

One thing that daunts me is the meetings saying i want to be here for the foreseeable future! In all honestly im planning on going to aussie and back home, but i know id love the passport to come back as i please!

Cheers
We have a yerar to go and then we will be applying for kiwi citizenship but we have no intention of leaving this place regardless of earthquakes.

We made the big step to come here so no way do we intend to move on again
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc
We have a yerar to go and then we will be applying for kiwi citizenship but we have no intention of leaving this place regardless of earthquakes.

We made the big step to come here so no way do we intend to move on again
I'll drink to that!
Sailing round Oz and upto the Phillipines soon for 6 weeks.
After that I have no intention of leaving Gods own country- took too long to get here and after all the visits and the last 18 months residency, still loads and loads of places to see and things to do.
But it's different for us. We're in our twilight years of perpetual holidays.
Young ones should travel and see the world, as we did. When they are older the return 'home' to NZ will be so much easier with citizenship.

But wait a minute!
How much do they really care about NZ?
Who's going to fill the coffers to pay for their 'pension', the health service, the infrastructure, if they all fly off and leave us?:curse:
We've done our bit and paid our dues
Second thoughts, best not come back- there'll be nothing left-we'll have drunk it all!

Bit OTT with the smilies. Just wanted to let you see - all tongue in cheek!