British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Applying for British passport from NZ/Aus (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/applying-british-passport-nz-aus-737736/)

DC10 Nov 3rd 2011 4:40 am

Applying for British passport from NZ/Aus

Has anyone been through this process recently? How long did it take from sending the form away to receiving the lovely little red book in your mailbox?

The process seems very complicated, not to mention more than twice as expensive as doing it in the UK. Most annoying thing is that they apparently (not 100% clear on the ambiguously-worded form) require you to send any other passports you hold away with the application for (???) weeks/months. For that reason I'd be particularly interested to hear from anyone with joint citizenships.

Cheers

DC

BEVS Nov 3rd 2011 6:18 am

Re: Applying for British passport from NZ/Aus

Are you talking about renewing a UK passport or is this a first time application.

DC10 Nov 3rd 2011 7:20 am

Good question. First time, so possibly most likely to be relevant to children

UKNZAUS Nov 4th 2011 12:31 am

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9711831)
Has anyone been through this process recently? How long did it take from sending the form away to receiving the lovely little red book in your mailbox?

DC

I'd like to know too, I'm just about to send the kid's passports off as they have just expired and need renewing. Over $800 it costs for 3 of them inc. new photogs! :frown:

lardyl Nov 4th 2011 12:42 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 9713612)
I'd like to know too, I'm just about to send the kid's passports off as they have just expired and need renewing. Over $800 it costs for 3 of them inc. new photogs! :frown:

you can do much of it at the postshop - well hand over all the forms, etc
I think our last one took about 3 weeks
make sure your signatures are from a NZ citizen - I've been asked a few times to do that but had to say sorry.
you may get a letter asking you to confirm the status of the kids - ie that you are not separated.
I'm about to get a new one fore Si. L wants me to do it now but I was going to hold out for our NZ passports early in the New Year. But I'm always wrong!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

UKNZAUS Nov 4th 2011 12:51 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9713623)
you can do much of it at the postshop - well hand over all the forms, etc
I think our last one took about 3 weeks
make sure your signatures are from a NZ citizen - I've been asked a few times to do that but had to say sorry.
you may get a letter asking you to confirm the status of the kids - ie that you are not separated.
I'm about to get a new one fore Si. L wants me to do it now but I was going to hold out for our NZ passports early in the New Year. But I'm always wrong!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

My signature is not from a citizen but she's been here as long as I have from the UK! Please tell me I don't have to do all that too?? I'm just going to send them as they are ;)

DC10 Nov 4th 2011 1:25 am

Surely a British referee will do/be even better?? I was thinking of sending my documents to an accountant friend in London as countersignatory...

UKNZAUS Nov 4th 2011 2:36 am

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9713685)
Surely a British referee will do/be even better?? I was thinking of sending my documents to an accountant friend in London as countersignatory...

I've sent mine this arvo. $721 later... (plus $60 for passport photogs :frown:)

British person living in NZ who is a company director was acceptable as I asked this at the postie, she signed it off, took my money (:homy:) and put them in a huge envelope addressed to the BHC.

Addictedtosushi Nov 4th 2011 3:29 am

I had to get 6 passports :eek: and found it was super quick it took a week and a half for them all to come back.
I did have to send one of them back as they had put the wrong date of birth in.
Just make sure when you get your photos done that you tell them it is for a uk passport as the nz passport photos are a different size.

We are now all going to be eating bread and butter for a month as the price for all the passports and photos were a 100% rip off.But thats okay at least I have lovely scenery to look at every day.:o

lardyl Nov 4th 2011 5:22 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 9713639)
My signature is not from a citizen but she's been here as long as I have from the UK! Please tell me I don't have to do all that too?? I'm just going to send them as they are ;)

well I think you are OK, I'm getting confused in old age that was all to do with Kiwis and their kids applying for passports. sorry. :o:o:o

Justcol Nov 4th 2011 6:05 am

Got a replacement 18 months ago for my son, took about 2 weeks from posting it off to getting it back

UKNZAUS Nov 5th 2011 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Addictedtosushi (Post 9713838)
I had to get 6 passports :eek: and found it was super quick it took a week and a half for them all to come back.
I did have to send one of them back as they had put the wrong date of birth in.
Just make sure when you get your photos done that you tell them it is for a uk passport as the nz passport photos are a different size.

We are now all going to be eating bread and butter for a month as the price for all the passports and photos were a 100% rip off.But thats okay at least I have lovely scenery to look at every day.:o

:eek: but :lol: at the scenery comment!

UKNZAUS Nov 14th 2011 3:08 am

Originally Posted by DC10 (Post 9711831)

DC

Just received 2 of the 3 kid's passports back from the UK! WOW they're very different from the last ones...! 10 days ago I posted them to Wellington, and now they're in my possession.

Now to get the blue stickers put back in them :blink:

UKNZAUS Nov 14th 2011 3:30 am

Originally Posted by Michelle&Carl (Post 9731233)
Just received 2 of the 3 kid's passports back from the UK! WOW they're very different from the last ones...! 10 days ago I posted them to Wellington, and now they're in my possession.

Now to get the blue stickers put back in them :blink:

:eek: $90 each for the new stickers to go in! $1000 for new passports and we're not even booked to fly anywhere :sneaky:

DC10 Nov 14th 2011 4:54 am

It does sound quite efficient then, if expensive.

My other problem is not knowing any "professional" witnesses in this part of the world

So I think I'm going to make do with my Aus one until I'm next in the UK for a few weeks, then take advantage of the £77 fee over there :thumbup:

sirplug Nov 14th 2011 4:37 pm

What's to stop them being done by family, in the UK and then posted on to you??

Am Loolah Nov 14th 2011 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 9732155)

I'm guessing nothing to stop you doing that? Do you mean to post them with photo's back to family and they send them off in the UK and then post them back to you in NZ?

Can anyone provide the difference in $ vs GBP to do this? My two youngest need both UK and NZ replacements passports?! Groan ... :blink:

DC10 Nov 15th 2011 12:38 am

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 9732155)

Mine will be a first time passport, which means attending an interview if done in the UK

Not sure whether or not renewals could get away with it - maybe

goldchoccycoin Nov 15th 2011 5:09 am

I tried to renew whilst on holiday in the UK - they immediately knew I wasn't a 'UK resident' and refused to renew - directing me to do it in Australia via NZ!

It's much cheaper in the UK but they may know you don't live there (although I used my Mum's address I guess they checked immigration records or something).

Mine took only 15 days from Aus.

sirplug Nov 17th 2011 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by tking (Post 9733280)
I tried to renew whilst on holiday in the UK - they immediately knew I wasn't a 'UK resident' and refused to renew - directing me to do it in Australia via NZ!

It's much cheaper in the UK but they may know you don't live there (although I used my Mum's address I guess they checked immigration records or something).

Mine took only 15 days from Aus.

Did you have to pay up front and lose the cash when they refused or did they refund your payment, with the refusal? We lived with my Mum for 3 months, before coming over here, so, hopefully we won't refused....

goldchoccycoin Nov 17th 2011 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 9738767)
Did you have to pay up front and lose the cash when they refused or did they refund your payment, with the refusal? We lived with my Mum for 3 months, before coming over here, so, hopefully we won't refused....

I lived with my Mum too, made no difference, they were adamant that as an overseas resident I had to apply through the right channels. Lost the fee (90 quid?) and also they kept the passport. That meant I had to do a 'Lost or Stolen' application for my renewal and it was a pain in the bum. Lots of extra ID and forms.

I'd not risk it again. Double fees are painful!

sirplug Nov 19th 2011 3:38 am

Originally Posted by tking (Post 9738973)
I lived with my Mum too, made no difference, they were adamant that as an overseas resident I had to apply through the right channels. Lost the fee (90 quid?) and also they kept the passport. That meant I had to do a 'Lost or Stolen' application for my renewal and it was a pain in the bum. Lots of extra ID and forms.

I'd not risk it again. Double fees are painful!

Thanks. Will follow the right channels!!